How Many Of You Use A Screen Protector?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I think it's fair to say that we [vitually] all use a case of some sort and I don't think there's much dispute about the merits of this.

However a screen protector is quite another thing. I've never used one and I've never noticed any scratches on my phones' screens. BUt I should hasten to add that I'm pretty careful with my phones and I never (EVER) carry them in a pocket with anything else (e.g. keys, change, paper clips, razor blades, ice picks, loose bits of diamond, etc). Yet reading some posts of screen scratches has me a bit paranoid. I've always felt that screen protectors detract from the visual beauty and resolution of the screen in addition to messing with its touch sensitivity.

So I was just wondering what your (forum members/contributers) opinions are regarding the use of screen protectors.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
A screen protector is must have for me. Although its not the end of the world if I happen to scratch my phone, I do like having the option to prevent it.

Posted via Android Central App

SteveMAW

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I've always used one. I got the glass one from Verizon with my S5. I really like it. Fingerprints don't show unless your fingers are excessively oily (freshly applied lotion or something). If something does smear, it wipes right off.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I had never really kept a screen protector on my phone before. I have bought them in the past but there were always problems. Either it looked horrible because if bubbles or peeling. Or the clarity was bad. Or the protector started to peel or discolor. But then the glass screen protectors came out and I decided to try them. I had just bought my Note 3 and I didn't want anything to happen to the screen. So I got the Zagg Glass screen protector and the guy at Best Buy put it on perfectly and it looks perfect. It feels like the regular screen and you don't notice it at all. It was expensive. But it has been well worth it. Now I know that my screen will not get damaged. And it has a lifetime guarantee.

Sent from the Samsung Galaxy Note 3...yeah, it's spectacular.

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Its all about the glass screen protectors, feels just like the phone but is another layer of protection from scratches and cracks. Last phone I had a cheap chinese screen protector that was soft and that really sucked, before that one of the matte finish ones that destroyed the amoled colors and a regular plastic one which did the job fine but not like this. Unless the cutout around the home button and sensors bothers you the only downside is cost

garment69

Banned
May 10, 2013
Visit site
Using Spigen Crystal clear screen protector. Ive gotten pretty good at putting them on. I use them for resale value. You get top dollar on Ebay when you can say the screen is pristine.

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I've always used a screen protector on my device. I recently ordered the Spigen Glas.t Nano Slim for my S5 and can't wait to get it. it's 0.2 mm thick. I have it on my S4 as well and I don't notice any screen quality issue with it. Plus it feels like an actual screen. So far I have not dropped my phone (knock on wood). For me a case and a screen protector is a must have on device.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I think it's fair to say that we [vitually] all use a case of some sort and I don't think there's much dispute about the merits of this.

I guess you haven't seen the masses of smartphone owners who do not use "a case of some sort" because they consider that 'hiding' the phone and instead they like to show off loud & clear to everybody around that they have the latest and greatest. 90% of glass/screen breakages can directly be attributed to that owner behavior.

However a screen protector is quite another thing. I've never used one and I've never noticed any scratches on my phones' screens. BUt I should hasten to add that I'm pretty careful with my phones and I never (EVER) carry them in a pocket with anything else (e.g. keys, change, paper clips, razor blades, ice picks, loose bits of diamond, etc).

It goes without saying that a piece of sensitive hi-tech equipment should be handled accordingly. So you're doing that right. Unlike the show-offs.

Yet reading some posts of screen scratches has me a bit paranoid. I've always felt that screen protectors detract from the visual beauty and resolution of the screen in addition to messing with its touch sensitivity.

They do. Screen protectors negatively affect the screen's brightness, clarity, and sensitivity.

I've had a number of smartphones over the last 7 years. All of them protected by a shock absorbing soft-shell silicone bumper case. None of them 'protected' by a screen protector. I have yet to see the first scratch on a screen (or a body). They look as pristine as they did on Day One. And none of them ever 'broke' because of a bump, fall, or drop.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

So, imo and experience, you apply the right m.o., doc.
I consider 'screen protectors' pure snake oil.
Save yourself the expense, the aggravation of application, and the false sense of security. Don't get a 'screen protector'.

Last edited:

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I've always used a screen protector on my device. I recently ordered the Spigen Glas.t Nano Slim for my S5 and can't wait to get it. it's 0.2 mm thick. I have it on my S4 as well and I don't notice any screen quality issue with it. Plus it feels like an actual screen. So far I have not dropped my phone (knock on wood). For me a case and a screen protector is a must have on device.

Have the Spigen glas on my Note 3 and my S5. You'll be pleased. The S5 one is super thin. Makes the thumb swipe to unlock flawless. Enjoy!

sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

mrg4512

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Without question I do. I use zagg which is phenomenal. It provides the right amount of screen protection without taking away or distracting from the screen.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
The display/screen is the most important part and said it many times, I don't care what they use it will get scratched. I only buy Super Shieldz on eBay, 3-6 pack for $10 shipped, I actually have 3 left from my nexus 5 and just used that. :)

Two reasons, my OCD will kick in even if it's just the tinniest I will sell it. Besides being crap where it lagged, I remember the seller, LOL couldn't believe it when I sold my S4 because it had a very small chip where he could barely see it.

The other is obviously the resale value.

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I have one on my new galaxy s5...
#1 reason is resale time--it's a good selling point

Sent from Portland Oregon using my Samsung galaxy s5 on Verizon

ziva2006

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
In the past, it's been hit or miss if I've decided to use one. If I have, I've always liked the Zagg skins, due to several reasons. Their quality, and customer service is second to none in my experience. Now after getting the S5, I heard good things about the new glass protectors. Just picked one up yesterday. Let me tell you, easy as hell to install, beautiful (doesn't take away from the screens ability), feels just like the stock screen, and its protecting it. I couldn't ask for more. I will definitely be going this route in the future unless something better comes around, not sure how much better it could get but you never know.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I've used the original zagg for a long time and stopped a couple years ago. Got tired of the rubbery feel. The gs5 I bought off of craigslist had the zagg glass screen protector on it. I have to say, I love it. Feels so much better than the old zagg. Looks and feels great.

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
I use the official Verizon Galaxy S5 Glass screen protector. It's thick but its the best screen protector that I have had. Feels just like the regular screen which is why I disliked the other screen protectors I used.

Ynnuendo1991

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have an Helium tempered glass screen protector and I love it. Invisible and it feels like there's nothing on. No bubbles either. I m loving it so far.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173