Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Default Cloud storage options

Is drop box our only option? I would like to switch it to drive since i have 60GB free for 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    21,016 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Cloud storage options

You can use Drive. The app is available on Play.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    You can use Drive. The app is available on Play.
    Go to Mega 50GB free for life. Plus its private and secure. I don't really care that the US government snoops in every aspect of our lives but it does bother me. I think Mega may be out of reach for them on an everyday basis.
    https://mega.co.nz/
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Sorry. Didn't explain my question properly. I meant the cloud integration on the device itself. The drive app comes pre installed in the Google folder.
    If you go to folders and scroll all the way down to cloud storage it only gives you drop box as an option.
    As far as government snooping, I could care less. I don't keep personal or private stuff on my phone or in the "cloud". Just want to be able to work on certain docs on all devices thru drive.

Global Posts
    21,016 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by CompMan2012 View Post
    Sorry. Didn't explain my question properly. I meant the cloud integration on the device itself. The drive app comes pre installed in the Google folder.
    If you go to folders and scroll all the way down to cloud storage it only gives you drop box as an option.
    As far as government snooping, I could care less. I don't keep personal or private stuff on my phone or in the "cloud". Just want to be able to work on certain docs on all devices thru drive.

Have you set up your Drive app?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

As far as government snooping, I could care less me too but it does bother me.
    This is just a guess but go to "Settings / Apps / Default Applications" if one app has been designated the default app you can clear it. Also in "Settings Accounts" you should have a Google and Dropbox acc. Drive signs in from the Google acc in Accounts so you can't have a separate login for Drive and Google.
    One last thing "Settings / Apps / Application Manager" Scroll down and find DropBox then scroll down and make sure No Defaults Set. is lite up and Clear Defaults is grayed out, if not clear the default. I hope this helps.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Have you set up your Drive app?

Yeah. Had it set up before setting up the drop box account.

Global Posts
    21,016 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

You can upload via the drive app, too.

Phone Timeline

If you set up the Drive app that might be your problem. When you setup your new phone you usually log into your Google Account. If you did that Drive needs no setting up as it pulls the info from the Google Account, as I said above.
    I would uninstall Drive or deactivate it then make sure you are logged into Google and reactivate / install drive and when you open it you should be all logged in. If not something is wrong.

Global Posts
    1,776 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

I use Box. I really like li.

Is drop box our only option? I would like to switch it to drive since i have 60GB free for 2 years.

If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Do you guys have the S5? Because if you don't you might not understand how it's set up on the phone. I will post pictures in a bit. U know the saying. .. 1000 words.

Do you guys have the S5? Because if you don't you might not understand how it's set up on the phone. I will post pictures in a bit. U know the saying. .. 1000 words.

I have the Verizon S5...some difference between the carriers but I don't think said differences are the problem you are running into. That said some pics might help. Also you need to answer some questions like was drive setup or did you setup your google account. If you set up your Google acc when you set up the new phone then Drive should have been ready to go. When you go into Gallery app and touch the sharing thing at the top does it show up? On my S5 Drive and Dropbox both show up. Is there a Google acc in your settings and DropBox? Have you checked dropbox in your apps to see if its set as default? Thats the kind of info we need to help you.....
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Banned

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scallawag View Post
    I have the Verizon S5...some difference between the carriers but I don't think said differences are the problem you are running into. That said some pics might help. Also you need to answer some questions like was drive setup or did you setup your google account. If you set up your Google acc when you set up the new phone then Drive should have been ready to go. When you go into Gallery app and touch the sharing thing at the top does it show up? On my S5 Drive and Dropbox both show up. Is there a Google acc in your settings and DropBox? Have you checked dropbox in your apps to see if its set as default? Thats the kind of info we need to help you.....
    I did go to default app settings. Look at the pictures to see what I'm talking about.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cloud storage options-1399204876982.jpg   Cloud storage options-1399204918745.jpg  

I did go to default app settings. Look at the pictures to see what I'm talking about.

As you can see in my "MY Files" I don't have a Cloud Storage app set.Cloud storage options-screenshot_2014-05-04-09-27-42.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by scallawag View Post
    As you can see in my "MY Files" I don't have a Cloud Storage app set.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-04-09-27-42.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	116281
    Cloud storage options-screenshot_2014-05-04-09-29-09.jpg
    You also need to check one more place to see if Dropbox is set as default and that is "Settings/Applications/Application Manager/DropBox" Dropbox will be under Downloaded or All.

When you share a photo or anything you can share does Drive and DropBox show up? Like this.Cloud storage options-screenshot_2014-05-04-09-49-12.jpg

Also open the Drive app and on the Right top should be settings and some other options. On the Left top the Drive icon. Touch the Drive icon and you will see the first thing is the acc name Drive is signed in to. Just touch on the acc name and it will open and show if drive is set up for just one acc or more. This is how you change the active acc if you have TWO Google accounts set up on the same phone. Thats the reason I kept asking was Drive actually set up or was it auto set up when you signed in to your google ACC.
    Anyway I hope this helps.
    In the Play store I think you can find some apps that will clear all app defaults at once or one at a time that may be a option.

I use Copy, which gives a generous free online storage and works across multiple platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS) seamlessly. You get (15 + 5) GB free storage when you sign up using this link.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Did you ever find a solution? I also would like to have drive as an option under the "my files" app to easily move files around my phone from "drive"