Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Changed 2 settings on my S5 that really sped things up!

I dont know if this will help anyone else or not, but I figure I'd share.

1. Disable SMART Screen Rotation. Keep screen rotation ON, but go into the Screen Rotation settings in the Touchwiz Settings menu and uncheck the "smart" rotation option. I was having rally bad lag with screen rotation with that setting checked. When I rotated a picture or video or any app with a landscape view, it would take almost 2 or 3 seconds to rotate. Apparently, with that option checked, the phone is trying to detect the position of your face before it rotates, creating a ton of rotation lag. So turn that "smart rotation" setting off and get split-second rotation back on your phone!

2. Go into the phone's Display settings in Touchwiz and change the Screen Mode to standard. Again, the default setting "Adapt" has some kind of auto-color saturation feature which, while it does sharpen up images, also adds a bit of lag to the phone. I changed that to "Standard" and found that browsing through images and videos and jumping into and out of many apps from the home screens much faster.

Those two changes have pretty much removed any lag issues I had. Maybe its just isolated to my phone, but I figu4rd I would share.

Hope this helps someone else out there with similar issues!
    ni_ck85 and crawfojj like this.

Default Re: Changed 2 settings on my S5 that really sped things up!

Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    I dont know if this will help anyone else or not, but I figure I'd share.

1. Disable SMART Screen Rotation. Keep screen rotation ON, but go into the Screen Rotation settings in the Touchwiz Settings menu and uncheck the "smart" rotation option. I was having rally bad lag with screen rotation with that setting checked. When I rotated a picture or video or any app with a landscape view, it would take almost 2 or 3 seconds to rotate. Apparently, with that option checked, the phone is trying to detect the position of your face before it rotates, creating a ton of rotation lag. So turn that "smart rotation" setting off and get split-second rotation back on your phone!

2. Go into the phone's Display settings in Touchwiz and change the Screen Mode to standard. Again, the default setting "Adapt" has some kind of auto-color saturation feature which, while it does sharpen up images, also adds a bit of lag to the phone. I changed that to "Standard" and found that browsing through images and videos and jumping into and out of many apps from the home screens much faster.

Those two changes have pretty much removed any lag issues I had. Maybe its just isolated to my phone, but I figu4rd I would share.

Hope this helps someone else out there with similar issues!
    the "adapt" display doesn't add lag at all

the best way to speed it up is to go into developer options and disable all animations

Not using TouchWiz and instead using Apex really speeded up my S5.

Global Posts
    2,896 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Google Plus+ Edition GPe

To add to what Greg said, he doesn't mean replacing TouchWiz with another launcher just through a Play Store download.

You actually have to disable TouchWiz in the phone's settings.