Removing a Google Account?

amcam

May 4, 2014
Visit site
My phone (a Samsung Galaxy Ace, not that it really matters I don't think) recently stopped working, and, as I still have a contract I have transferred my sim card to my dad's old phone, a Samsung Galaxy S (although when typing that into the device search thing for these forums, it led me to a Galaxy S5, however I think my question is more of a general one than one which pertains solely to one model).

My dad's Google account is still logged into this phone, and every time I attempt to open the Android Market (it's still called that, although I understand that it should be the Google Play Store. I think it'll probably update when I manage to log in), a message stating
"Google sign-in
You entered the wrong password or your account has changed. Please re-enter your password"
appears. Considering my dad uses the same two passwords for literally everything and given the fact that I actually logged into his gmail account on my laptop with the password that my/his phone claims is wrong, it is more likely that the account has changed, but I don't know what to do about it.

Upon visiting the settings page of the phone, I tapped on "Accounts and Sync," and under "Manage accounts" was my dad's Google account. When clicking on "Sync Gmail," a message appears saying "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly." It has been a day. It is still not working.

When clicking "Remove account," another message pops up saying:
"> Remove account
Do you really want to remove this account? Removing it will also delete all of its messages, contacts, and other data from the phone.
Proceed?
Remove account | Cancel"

I want to know what is entailed by "other data." Does this imply photos? Those are really my main concern, as there are photos from my parents trip to Italy, from my sister's graduation, from our family holiday last year, from my school awards ceremony, etc. There's only, like, three phone numbers/contacts that my dad had saved to the phone (the rest were to his sim card) but would this delete all of MY contacts and messages as it is my sim card that is now in the phone?

I have seen a few things saying something about the phone doing a factory reset following this procedure but I'm not quite sure whether they did the same thing as what I'm looking to do.

Also, (this will probably sound really stupid) what does a factory reset actually DO?

I hope for, with any luck, a speedy reply and I have so many thanks in advance to anybody who replies.
- Amy

Last edited:

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
If your primary concern is the photos why not just create a Dropbox account (free) and upload all those photos to Dropbox. After that they're safe and you can access them from any computer, smartphone or tablet. At that point you can proceed with the Google delete.

ziva2006

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Do you know where the photos are currently stored? Hopefully on the SD card. Try ejecting the SD card and see if they are still available in your gallery, if not, then proceed with removing the account, and log in with your own. Once completed you can then install the SD card again, and still have all the photos. I say go this route because it sounds like the main concern was the photos.

A factory reset will place the phone to the very same state it was when new, such as all downloaded applications gone, carrier or manufacturer applications reloaded, all settings will be reset and all files deleted.

Whichever you decide to do, let us know how it goes.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
My phone (a Samsung Galaxy Ace, not that it really matters I don't think) recently stopped working, and, as I still have a contract I have transferred my sim card to my dad's old phone, a Samsung Galaxy S (although when typing that into the device search thing for these forums, it led me to a Galaxy S5, however I think my question is more of a general one than one which pertains solely to one model).

My dad's Google account is still logged into this phone, and every time I attempt to open the Android Market (it's still called that, although I understand that it should be the Google Play Store. I think it'll probably update when I manage to log in), a message stating
"Google sign-in
You entered the wrong password or your account has changed. Please re-enter your password"
appears. Considering my dad uses the same two passwords for literally everything and given the fact that I actually logged into his gmail account on my laptop with the password that my/his phone claims is wrong, it is more likely that the account has changed, but I don't know what to do about it.

Upon visiting the settings page of the phone, I tapped on "Accounts and Sync," and under "Manage accounts" was my dad's Google account. When clicking on "Sync Gmail," a message appears saying "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly." It has been a day. It is still not working.

When clicking "Remove account," another message pops up saying:
"> Remove account
Do you really want to remove this account? Removing it will also delete all of its messages, contacts, and other data from the phone.
Proceed?
Remove account | Cancel"

I want to know what is entailed by "other data." Does this imply photos? Those are really my main concern, as there are photos from my parents trip to Italy, from my sister's graduation, from our family holiday last year, from my school awards ceremony, etc. There's only, like, three phone numbers/contacts that my dad had saved to the phone (the rest were to his sim card) but would this delete all of MY contacts and messages as it is my sim card that is now in the phone?

I have seen a few things saying something about the phone doing a factory reset following this procedure but I'm not quite sure whether they did the same thing as what I'm looking to do.

Also, (this will probably sound really stupid) what does a factory reset actually DO?

I hope for, with any luck, a speedy reply and I have so many thanks in advance to anybody who replies.
- Amy

no, your photos will not delete after removing a google account

they will only delete if you do a hard reset or factory reset