S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

tayl0c

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I've only had my Galaxy S5 for two days now and so far I like it, however, I'm experiencing a lot of lag especially from the stock messaging app. Whenever I open a conversation and then press the back button, it freezes and then eventually asks me if I want to quit. This happens all the time. I've removed most of the apps from AT&T and Samsung. I've also turned off the animation. I'm not sure what to do and I want to give it chance before I decide to make the switch back. Thanks!

Last edited:

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Another S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

I've only had my Galaxy S5 for two days now and so far I like it, however, I'm experiencing a lot of lag especially from the stock messaging app. Whenever I open a conversation and then press the back button, it freezes and then eventually asks me if I want to quit. This happens all the time. I've removed most of the apps from AT&T and Samsung. I've also turned of the animation. I'm not sure what to do and I want to give it chance before I decide to make the switch back. Thanks!

I use Textra or Hello SMS for my texting needs and there was no lag on there. I do however get terrible lag on the camera and gallery apps respectively. I also get the black screen a few times a day, very annoying to the point I am currently using my iPhone 5s again for the time being.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have found that if you set your animations to .5 instead of 0, some apps tend to behave a little better.

Sent from my badass Samsung Galaxy S5

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
mine never does that. not sure why yours is. but like suggested you can try 3rd party apps. I like handsent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

tayl0c

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I use Textra or Hello SMS for my texting needs and there was no lag on there. I do however get terrible lag on the camera and gallery apps respectively. I also get the black screen a few times a day, very annoying to the point I am currently using my iPhone 5s again for the time being.

I have found that if you set your animations to .5 instead of 0, some apps tend to behave a little better.

Sent from my badass Samsung Galaxy S5

mine never does that. not sure why yours is. but like suggested you can try 3rd party apps. I like handsent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Thank you for your replies! I think it’s lagging because I transferred all my messages (which were a lot btw). I’ll try another app and see how it works out.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your replies! I think it’s lagging because I transferred all my messages (which were a lot btw). I’ll try another app and see how it works out.

I was going to ask you if you have a lot of messages, it seems to happens with the native Message app at least since last year S4, why ? Well it's the way the app tries to load all of the messages before you open the app.

Just try Google Hangouts and see if it helps.

HAWK

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Turn off s voice. That made a huge difference on mine

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I disabled most of the bloatware from Samsung and AT&T...including TouchWiz (I use Apex Launcher). I also went into the Developer settings and disabled Animations. After doing all this it really made my phone snappier. If you do what I did... I can guarantee your device will run quicker.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I disabled most of the bloatware from Samsung and AT&T...including TouchWiz (I use Apex Launcher). I also went into the Developer settings and disabled Animations. After doing all this it really made my phone snappier. If you do what I did... I can guarantee your device will run quicker.

How did you disabled touchwiz and animations? At what setting did you set on animations? thanks

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
System Settings...Application Manager...All...scroll down until you get to TouchWiz and choose DISABLE. For Animations in the Developer Options (Window, Transition, Duration Scale and Animator) I unchecked them or chose to turn them off. I went through and disabled most of Samsung and AT&T apps. Like I said...doing this really improved the speed of my phone. There's really no lag now...that I can notice. I hope this helps you.

How did you disabled touchwiz and animations? At what setting did you set on animations? thanks

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I compared my HTC M8 with a S5 at Samsung showroom, well the S5 is definitely slower than the M8,it's faster than S4 of course but it feels laggy compared to the HTC

edge4628

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I was having terrible lag with the Samsung keyboard so I installed the Google keyboard and that fixed the problem, maybe that will help?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was going to ask you if you have a lot of messages, it seems to happens with the native Message app at least since last year S4, why ? Well it's the way the app tries to load all of the messages before you open the app.

Just try Google Hangouts and see if it helps.

This. The stock app doesn't handle a lot of messages well. I use ChompSMS and have no issues.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the tip. I might try this on my S3.

bgask1717

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
System Settings...Application Manager...All...scroll down until you get to TouchWiz and choose DISABLE. For Animations in the Developer Options (Window, Transition, Duration Scale and Animator) I unchecked them or chose to turn them off. I went through and disabled most of Samsung and AT&T apps. Like I said...doing this really improved the speed of my phone. There's really no lag now...that I can notice. I hope this helps you.

I'm on the AT&T version and it only gives me the option to force stop Touchwiz...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ExAppleFanboy

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I followed the recommendation of the group & disabled the animations within the developer options & it definitely made a noticeable difference.

Posted via Android Central App

HAWK

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Mines not bad at all.... I don't notice anything negative about this phone so far.

HAWK

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Wait wait.. Facebook app sucks. Which isn't really a phone issue per say.