Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lynx
  • 1 Post By here4kids
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    I've only had my Galaxy S5 for two days now and so far I like it, however, I'm experiencing a lot of lag especially from the stock messaging app. Whenever I open a conversation and then press the back button, it freezes and then eventually asks me if I want to quit. This happens all the time. I've removed most of the apps from AT&T and Samsung. I've also turned off the animation. I'm not sure what to do and I want to give it chance before I decide to make the switch back. Thanks!
  2. #2  
    Lynx's Avatar

    Posts
    246 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,221 Global Posts

    Default Re: Another S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Quote Originally Posted by tayl0c View Post
    I've only had my Galaxy S5 for two days now and so far I like it, however, I'm experiencing a lot of lag especially from the stock messaging app. Whenever I open a conversation and then press the back button, it freezes and then eventually asks me if I want to quit. This happens all the time. I've removed most of the apps from AT&T and Samsung. I've also turned of the animation. I'm not sure what to do and I want to give it chance before I decide to make the switch back. Thanks!
    I use Textra or Hello SMS for my texting needs and there was no lag on there. I do however get terrible lag on the camera and gallery apps respectively. I also get the black screen a few times a day, very annoying to the point I am currently using my iPhone 5s again for the time being.
    nj1266 likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    I have found that if you set your animations to .5 instead of 0, some apps tend to behave a little better.

    Sent from my badass Samsung Galaxy S5
  4. #4  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    mine never does that. not sure why yours is. but like suggested you can try 3rd party apps. I like handsent.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app
    joehp1 likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Quote Originally Posted by williams448 View Post
    I have found that if you set your animations to .5 instead of 0, some apps tend to behave a little better.

    Sent from my badass Samsung Galaxy S5
    good to know thanks!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    I use Textra or Hello SMS for my texting needs and there was no lag on there. I do however get terrible lag on the camera and gallery apps respectively. I also get the black screen a few times a day, very annoying to the point I am currently using my iPhone 5s again for the time being.
    Quote Originally Posted by williams448 View Post
    I have found that if you set your animations to .5 instead of 0, some apps tend to behave a little better.

    Sent from my badass Samsung Galaxy S5
    Quote Originally Posted by here4kids View Post
    mine never does that. not sure why yours is. but like suggested you can try 3rd party apps. I like handsent.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app
    Thank you for your replies! I think it’s lagging because I transferred all my messages (which were a lot btw). I’ll try another app and see how it works out.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Quote Originally Posted by tayl0c View Post
    Thank you for your replies! I think it’s lagging because I transferred all my messages (which were a lot btw). I’ll try another app and see how it works out.
    I was going to ask you if you have a lot of messages, it seems to happens with the native Message app at least since last year S4, why ? Well it's the way the app tries to load all of the messages before you open the app.

    Just try Google Hangouts and see if it helps.
  8. #8  
    HAWK's Avatar

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,168 Global Posts

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Turn off s voice. That made a huge difference on mine

    Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
  9. #9  
    Greg C's Avatar

    Posts
    1,986 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,996 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.1 Lollipop

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    I disabled most of the bloatware from Samsung and AT&T...including TouchWiz (I use Apex Launcher). I also went into the Developer settings and disabled Animations. After doing all this it really made my phone snappier. If you do what I did... I can guarantee your device will run quicker.
    Current Device: Nexus 6 & Nexus Player

    Current Carrier: Sprint


    Thanked by:
  10. #10  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I disabled most of the bloatware from Samsung and AT&T...including TouchWiz (I use Apex Launcher). I also went into the Developer settings and disabled Animations. After doing all this it really made my phone snappier. If you do what I did... I can guarantee your device will run quicker.
    How did you disabled touchwiz and animations? At what setting did you set on animations? thanks
  11. #11  
    Greg C's Avatar

    Posts
    1,986 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,996 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.1 Lollipop

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    System Settings...Application Manager...All...scroll down until you get to TouchWiz and choose DISABLE. For Animations in the Developer Options (Window, Transition, Duration Scale and Animator) I unchecked them or chose to turn them off. I went through and disabled most of Samsung and AT&T apps. Like I said...doing this really improved the speed of my phone. There's really no lag now...that I can notice. I hope this helps you.

    Quote Originally Posted by PainFX View Post
    How did you disabled touchwiz and animations? At what setting did you set on animations? thanks
    Current Device: Nexus 6 & Nexus Player

    Current Carrier: Sprint


    Thanked by:
    PainFX 
  12. #12  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    I compared my HTC M8 with a S5 at Samsung showroom, well the S5 is definitely slower than the M8,it's faster than S4 of course but it feels laggy compared to the HTC
  13. #13  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Are any of you guys that are having lag issues using app killer(s), lookout, anti virus, ram cleaners etc?
  14. #14  
    edge4628's Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    I was having terrible lag with the Samsung keyboard so I installed the Google keyboard and that fixed the problem, maybe that will help?
  15. #15  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Quote Originally Posted by erasat View Post
    I was going to ask you if you have a lot of messages, it seems to happens with the native Message app at least since last year S4, why ? Well it's the way the app tries to load all of the messages before you open the app.

    Just try Google Hangouts and see if it helps.
    This. The stock app doesn't handle a lot of messages well. I use ChompSMS and have no issues.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my LG G4 using AC Forums.



    Community Rules & Guidelines
  16. #16  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I disabled most of the bloatware from Samsung and AT&T...including TouchWiz (I use Apex Launcher). I also went into the Developer settings and disabled Animations. After doing all this it really made my phone snappier. If you do what I did... I can guarantee your device will run quicker.
    Thanks for the tip. I might try this on my S3.
    Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P running Windows 8.1
    LG G4 running Android 5.1 "Lollipop" (Stock LG UX 4.0 UI) *CURRENT DAILY DRIVER*
    HTC One (M7) running Android 5.1.1 "Lollipop" (Custom CM12.1 ROM based on AOSP)
    LG G3 running Android 5.0 "Lollipop" (Stock LG UX 3.0 UI)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 5.1 "Lollipop" (Custom CM12.1 ROM based on AOSP)
  17. #17  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    System Settings...Application Manager...All...scroll down until you get to TouchWiz and choose DISABLE. For Animations in the Developer Options (Window, Transition, Duration Scale and Animator) I unchecked them or chose to turn them off. I went through and disabled most of Samsung and AT&T apps. Like I said...doing this really improved the speed of my phone. There's really no lag now...that I can notice. I hope this helps you.
    I'm on the AT&T version and it only gives me the option to force stop Touchwiz...

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
  18. #18  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    I followed the recommendation of the group & disabled the animations within the developer options & it definitely made a noticeable difference.

    Posted via Android Central App
  19. #19  
    HAWK's Avatar

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,168 Global Posts

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Mines not bad at all.... I don't notice anything negative about this phone so far.

    Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
  20. #20  
    HAWK's Avatar

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,168 Global Posts

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Wait wait.. Facebook app sucks. Which isn't really a phone issue per say.

    Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
  21. #21  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I disabled most of the bloatware from Samsung and AT&T...including TouchWiz (I use Apex Launcher). I also went into the Developer settings and disabled Animations. After doing all this it really made my phone snappier. If you do what I did... I can guarantee your device will run quicker.
    THIS, cracks me up every time I see it. ....
    I bought a samsung and had to disable the entire phone to make it work properly.
    But hey, at least I'm cool because I bought "the next laggy thing"
    I will never understand it I guess...

    No one should EVER have to download some alternate 3rd party texting app or disable transitions, turn off touchwiz.
    If the phone doesn't work out of the box without issues, Take It Back.
    If people keep buying their phones with awesome hardware but complete garbage software, samsung will never fix it. Why should they, you will buy it no matter if it works or not.
    This is why I am not buying their products until they do fix it. I'll speak with my wallet.
    iOS and Android are BOTH great. iPhone 6+, Nokia 1520, 2014 Moto X, iPhone 6+, Note 4..
    Currently using 64GB Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge & iPhone 6 64GB on AT&T
    Thanked by:
    nj1266 
  22. #22  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Ah yes... someone who doesn't have an S5 hanging around an S5 forum just to trash it. Attitude explains the forum warnings he has.
    I had the S5 for 4 days and took it back. I hated it and the laggy new touchwiz. It wasn't worth adding to my sig. I took my own advice and returned the item.
    Not giving samsung more money until they fix their software.
    iOS and Android are BOTH great. iPhone 6+, Nokia 1520, 2014 Moto X, iPhone 6+, Note 4..
    Currently using 64GB Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge & iPhone 6 64GB on AT&T
  23. #23  

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    Quote Originally Posted by mayconvert View Post
    I had the S5 for 4 days and took it back. I hated it and the laggy new touchwiz. It wasn't worth adding to my sig. I took my own advice and returned the item.
    Not giving samsung more money until they fix their software.
    Sorry you had a bad experience with the S5. Not everyone is having a lag issue. I don't have any lag issue on my phone at all. Zero. The problem I see with some people is not understanding the Linux system and using app killers, ram and cache killers, anti virus, battery savers etc etc. All that slows down your phone. My phone amazes my friends, some android users and some iphone users.
  24. #24  
    twin100's Avatar

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

    Default Re: S5 Lag Experience Question from a former iPhone User....

    This section might be hidden on some phones, but its very easy to access. On many phones, you just have to open a certain page in the settings and tap a button seven times. Use Google to figure out how to enable Developer options on your phone if its currently hidden (for example, search enable developer options HTC One).

    Once you have access to Developer options, simply scroll until you find the following three settings, which may be located on the main screen or within an Advanced subsection:

    Window animation scale

    Transition animation scale

    Animator animation scale

    Tapping each of the three aforementioned settings will reveal that its set to 1x by default. If you want to speed up your phone or tablet dramatically, simply change each of those three settings to .5x thats it.

Similar Threads

  1. Problems sending MMS from Galaxy S4 to iPhone
    By Brian Pierson in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-04-2014, 09:55 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-03-2014, 03:23 AM
  3. Xperia Z2 Walkman question.
    By Andyvalver in forum Sony Xperia Z2
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:41 AM
  4. Distortion/crackling from ear piece speaker - is this normal?
    By AndriodAK in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 02:59 PM
  5. sd mounting from computer issue
    By mitchreward in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2014, 12:57 PM

Posting Permissions