How waterproof is it?

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
The S5 active has the exact same IP certification as the S5 so it's no more waterproof than the original S5. It's just more rugged so it'll handle falls better. I've also taken mine to the pool and taken underwater pics. It held up great. I won't be doing this on the regular, but it's nice to know it can handle it.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

It can take it, that has been proven, however it is not intended to do so. It again is WATER RESISTANT, not WATERPROOF.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It can take it, that has been proven, however it is not intended to do so. It again is WATER RESISTANT, not WATERPROOF.

Then that means the S5 active and the S4 active are only WATER RESISTANT. Technically, by its certification, it's WATERPROOF but Samsung is marketing it as resistant because they don't want people making a fuss if it doesn't hold up.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I just don't get how it is the headphone port is waterproof while everything else seals up. I have the Active btw.

I read somewhere that the headphone port is actually sealed off from the main board which is why it's doesn't need a cover. I can't remember where I read it though. It has something to do about how headphone ports work though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
They talk out of both sides of their mouth. It's WR up to 3' for 30 mins...then they SAY not to immerse it in water or use it Under running water, like a shower. if it can accidentally fall in the tub 4 30 minutes then why can't it be taken in the pool 4 30 minutes. either way I'm going to practice caution like I always have with my cell phones.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
They talk out of both sides of their mouth. It's WR up to 3' for 30 mins...then they SAY not to immerse it in water or use it Under running water, like a shower. if it can accidentally fall in the tub 4 30 minutes then why can't it be taken in the pool 4 30 minutes. either way I'm going to practice caution like I always have with my cell phones.

It has to do with pressure, the IP Ratings are given under specific conditions. Running water can exert more pressure than the IP Rating the phone received and as such the phone may fail in those conditions.

Samsung doesn't want to risk the legal repercussions if they say the phone is waterproof because when you say something is *blank*Proof, the connotation is that it's basically invincible in those conditions. Had Samsung labeled the S5 as waterproof, people would take the phone diving and then sue Samsung when the phone gets damaged.

I find it ironic they state you shouldn't place the phone under running water when they aired a commercial showing the S5 being washed off under a sink.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
When I first got my S5 I put it in a glass of water and bragged to people. Now... I treat the water resistance as an extra layer of insurance. All it takes is for that usb port cover to have even the littlest gap.

marine1868

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday I had my S5 sitting pool side, my nephew thought it was one of his toys and in the pool it went. Works like a charm still.

Posted via Android Central App

jleebiker

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I'd be interested to hear back from people that have put their S5 Active in water after 2-3 months. Wondering if there will be any corrosion issues long term. Thanks.

Tanabe21

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I was not a cruise last week and a guy was going down the slides and running through the kids area with his phone on a belt clip. I had my go pro on me to take pics of my kids but the phone stayed on the cabin. I don't have insurance on my phone so it will stay dry until the newness wears off.

Posted via Android Central App

BR34KF4ST

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
i got my s5 at about 2 mnths ago and i dropped it about 4 times 1 of the drops was so bad that it broke my case and made a dent beside the recent apps button.it has a slight hole so im curious whether it would make it un-water resistant would it?

Posted via the Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
i got my s5 at about 2 mnths ago and i dropped it about 4 times 1 of the drops was so bad that it broke my case and made a dent beside the recent apps button.it has a slight hole so im curious whether it would make it un-water resistant would it?

Posted via the Android Central App

you already have another thread on this same question.
put the phone in a good case and be done with it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Why do people drop their phones? Do they really care so little. Perhaps I just care too much. My gadgets are precious to me. Yeah, I guess I do care too much. Accidents can happen but it seems like they happen a lot more to some than to others.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have my phone in a very strong case, and it also has a neck/hand strap secured to it.

When the phone is in my shirt pocket, the strap is around my neck. If I happen to bend over really low and the phone slips out w/o me noticing it, it won't get very far. Not even as far as the floor/ground. It will be dangling from my neck.

If using the phone in a precarious situation, the strap is wrapped around my wrist... again, if the phone is dropped, it won't get very far before I catch it.

A bit of sensible precautions will take care of our expensive phones. I for one simply cannot afford to loose it, not because of the data and access to my private banking stuff, but simply because I can't afford to replace it.

I have never totally lost a phone. I have managed to loose one out of a shirt pocket years ago before they put tie loops on them.... fell into a puddle of water while I was cleaning my air conditioner outside unit (compressor and fins). You use a water hose to spray the fins to clear dust and spider webs.