How waterproof is it?

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Just got my hands on the S5 and I'm really curious to see how waterproof the phone is. I know Samsung advertise that its water resistant IP67 - but has anyone actually used their S5 in the shower, in the pool, at the Sea? I have this overwhelming urge to dunk it in something, but I'm terrified :)

I'm going on holiday next week and it will be cool to get some under water pics in the pool, has anyone else tried this and had their S5 live to tell the tail?

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I use my in the shower to listen to music and it sits underneath my drippy shower head pretty much the entire time. I've had it slip out of my hand into the sink and fall out of my pocket into my dogs water dish and its fine so far! The real test for me will be when we go on vacation in a couple weeks!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I used my phone in the shower, I even dropped it in a sink full of water where it was submerged under... Phone was perfectly fine

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Sophia Zhao

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Samsung said S5 is water resistant but not use water proof. So I suppose it can't be in the deep pool for a long time, even Sony waterproof device can't do with no risk at all. If can, you'd better prepare a waterproof bag when you go swimming.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I put mine in a glass of water for 15 - 20 seconds. I wouldn't advise putting the phone through too much. Think of it as insurance just in case it gets wet.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Do NOT use your phone to go take under water pics, it's not water proof, it's water resistant. It's in case it accidentally gets wet. If you want under water pics, get a water proof camera.

S5_GJH

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I know it's water resistant but I couldn't bare to try and see of its true.

I'll stick to keeping mine dry.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do NOT use your phone to go take under water pics, it's not water proof, it's water resistant. It's in case it accidentally gets wet. If you want under water pics, get a water proof camera.

This. I wouldn't push it to much.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I don't think I'd ever be tempted to even dunk the phone in a couple of cm of water let alone a pool. I was just curious if anyone has tried it other than some light water.

Posted via Android Central App

itguy14

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Samsung says:

***Water-resistant and dustproof based on IP67 rating, which tests submersion up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. Not shockproof. Covers must be tightly closed.

So if it takes a dunk in less than 3 ft of water for less than 30 minutes with all covers on, its on them to fix!

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
And it's probably 1m static water pressure, like those watches "rated 10m static" but try swimming with one and it dies.

My solution for bathroom music is an old Shuffle and some battery speakers I bought in bulk years ago. Noworrybehappy.

1AvgUser

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I took it snorkeling with me in the Bahamas the week before last and shot underwater photos and videos. Not the best quality and you can't use the screen underwater (or with very well with wet hands) but it was fine.

Turks-and-Caicos 048.jpg

1AvgUser

May 7, 2014
Visit site
And a selfie!

PS Here's a selfie from my snorkeling adventure (yes, underwater)...

Turks-and-Caicos 051.jpg

Not sure why it rotated that way..... But you get the idea.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: And a selfie!

I shocked my boy at work today, he had yogurt took the cover and I wiped the display with it. He was like WTF are you doing? He was about to hand me some paper towels but I got up and washed my S5 on the sink. LOL

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Just got my hands on the S5 and I'm really curious to see how waterproof the phone is. I know Samsung advertise that its water resistant IP67 - but has anyone actually used their S5 in the shower, in the pool, at the Sea? I have this overwhelming urge to dunk it in something, but I'm terrified :)

I'm going on holiday next week and it will be cool to get some under water pics in the pool, has anyone else tried this and had their S5 live to tell the tail?

Check YouTube dude!

-Sent from Tapatalk