Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How waterproof is it?

Just got my hands on the S5 and I'm really curious to see how waterproof the phone is. I know Samsung advertise that its water resistant IP67 - but has anyone actually used their S5 in the shower, in the pool, at the Sea? I have this overwhelming urge to dunk it in something, but I'm terrified

I'm going on holiday next week and it will be cool to get some under water pics in the pool, has anyone else tried this and had their S5 live to tell the tail?
    PappaFloyd likes this.

Default Re: How waterproof is it?

I use my in the shower to listen to music and it sits underneath my drippy shower head pretty much the entire time. I've had it slip out of my hand into the sink and fall out of my pocket into my dogs water dish and its fine so far! The real test for me will be when we go on vacation in a couple weeks!

I used my phone in the shower, I even dropped it in a sink full of water where it was submerged under... Phone was perfectly fine

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -

Samsung said S5 is water resistant but not use water proof. So I suppose it can't be in the deep pool for a long time, even Sony waterproof device can't do with no risk at all. If can, you'd better prepare a waterproof bag when you go swimming.

Global Posts
    1,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

I put mine in a glass of water for 15 - 20 seconds. I wouldn't advise putting the phone through too much. Think of it as insurance just in case it gets wet.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
    monsieurms and troshs like this.

Do NOT use your phone to go take under water pics, it's not water proof, it's water resistant. It's in case it accidentally gets wet. If you want under water pics, get a water proof camera.

I know it's water resistant but I couldn't bare to try and see of its true.

I'll stick to keeping mine dry.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    Do NOT use your phone to go take under water pics, it's not water proof, it's water resistant. It's in case it accidentally gets wet. If you want under water pics, get a water proof camera.
    This. I wouldn't push it to much.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    Jon Jackson likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yeah I don't think I'd ever be tempted to even dunk the phone in a couple of cm of water let alone a pool. I was just curious if anyone has tried it other than some light water.

Samsung says:

***Water-resistant and dustproof based on IP67 rating, which tests submersion up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. Not shockproof. Covers must be tightly closed.
    So if it takes a dunk in less than 3 ft of water for less than 30 minutes with all covers on, its on them to fix!

I did this weekend. I was getting a pedicure and dunked it in the water to the dismay of everyone in the spa lol
    Kevin Oates likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by itguy14 View Post
    Samsung says:

So if it takes a dunk in less than 3 ft of water for less than 30 minutes with all covers on, its on them to fix!
    Let us know how that works for ya
    winnersmw likes this.

And it's probably 1m static water pressure, like those watches "rated 10m static" but try swimming with one and it dies.

My solution for bathroom music is an old Shuffle and some battery speakers I bought in bulk years ago. Noworrybehappy.

I took it snorkeling with me in the Bahamas the week before last and shot underwater photos and videos. Not the best quality and you can't use the screen underwater (or with very well with wet hands) but it was fine.

How waterproof is it?-turks-caicos-048.jpg
    PappaFloyd likes this.

Default And a selfie!

PS Here's a selfie from my snorkeling adventure (yes, underwater)...

How waterproof is it?-turks-caicos-051.jpg

Not sure why it rotated that way..... But you get the idea.
    Thanked by:
    PappaFloyd likes this.

Default Re: And a selfie!

I shocked my boy at work today, he had yogurt took the cover and I wiped the display with it. He was like WTF are you doing? He was about to hand me some paper towels but I got up and washed my S5 on the sink. LOL
    Iroxusux likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayrguy View Post
    Let us know how that works for ya
    Well, it will work out fine. I'm not the one claiming water resistant specs, Samsung is. So if it lets water in within their claimed specs, it's a defect and will be covered by warranty.

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts

So I'm guessing a lot of you didn't watch this vid before or even after you bought the phone . Enjoy
    teristark likes this.

what it all means

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...ings-explained

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Oates View Post
    Just got my hands on the S5 and I'm really curious to see how waterproof the phone is. I know Samsung advertise that its water resistant IP67 - but has anyone actually used their S5 in the shower, in the pool, at the Sea? I have this overwhelming urge to dunk it in something, but I'm terrified

I'm going on holiday next week and it will be cool to get some under water pics in the pool, has anyone else tried this and had their S5 live to tell the tail?
    Check YouTube dude!

-Sent from Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
    So I'm guessing a lot of you didn't watch this vid before or even after you bought the phone . Enjoy
    Cool video. My question to this is what are the long term affects of this test? How did the phone work in let's say 1-3 months time? I would be concerned about any "seepage" or damage due to corrosion.

I think the key here is "resistant" versus "waterproof". The phone will handle things like showers or dropping it in shallow water but I believe it's like up to 30 minutes or something. I wouldn't push it too far but it definitely protects it from most watery situations

I took it to the pool and it's pretty Damn water resistant... Everyone kept asking me what phone I had

- Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    I took it to the pool and it's pretty Damn water resistant... Everyone kept asking me what phone I had

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/04/ajynyjyn.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/04/8y5a7ugy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/04/ybenahu5.jpg

You crazy fool :-P LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I put mine in a glass of water for 15 - 20 seconds. I wouldn't advise putting the phone through too much. Think of it as insurance just in case it gets wet.
    Agreed. I wouldn't want to purposely take in the pool with me.

Quote Originally Posted by S5_GJH View Post
    I'll stick to keeping mine dry.
    Me too.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast