Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LockScreen and Notifications on lock screen

Just switched from an iPhone to the S5... haven't had an android phone since the original droid... I know you can't add widget to the S5's lockscreen. Is there a way to determine what notifications appear on the lockscreen? Can you have texts display? (with or without a preview similar to iphone) or FB messages etc? Also, can you replace the lock screen through a launcher or something similar?

Default Re: LockScreen and Notifications on lock screen

I use handcent for messaging and there is an option in the settings to have popup on lock screen.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

You can have your texts displayed on the lock screen with the default messaging app. Go to your texts, menu button, settings, notifications, under preview messages check mark the lock screen option. They should now display on your lock screen.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks, Ziva. I was trying to do it without using the standard app. Is this possible?

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Unfortunately, I only use the default app so far. But as Bassplayrguy says, you could use Handcent...

Quote Originally Posted by DCRicky View Post
    Just switched from an iPhone to the S5... haven't had an android phone since the original droid... I know you can't add widget to the S5's lockscreen. Is there a way to determine what notifications appear on the lockscreen? Can you have texts display? (with or without a preview similar to iphone) or FB messages etc? Also, can you replace the lock screen through a launcher or something similar?
    I also switched from an iPhone to an S5. As someone else said, Message notifications do appear on the lockscreen. I'm not sure about FB messages since I don't use FB.

For some apps, the default is a notification will appear on the lockscreen but in the form of an icon in the top left corner (the notification bar). I've actually found this sufficient (I wans't sure if I would since I was used to lockscreen email notifications on my iPhone specifically saying who the email is from).

I'm fairly new to the S5 but my understanding is that you can replace the lockscreen with lockscreen replacements even though you can't add widgets to the lock screen. Also, I read that you can download the app NiLS (Notifications on Lock Screen) and there is a "lock screen floating panel" that can then be downloaded, which would allow for notifications on the lockscreen that one would usually get with their widget.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I'd just like my messages to appear on the lock screen with an indicator of who it is from but without revealing what the message text itself says. That was I can choose to open the message if I deem the sender important but don't reveal any info that may be sensitive without unlocking my phone. Any way to do this? The popups aren't convenient and you can see the text usually.

Perhaps I need to switch to a different phone that allows lock screen widgets?

I'm having the same issue and I also come from using ios.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ziva2006 View Post
    You can have your texts displayed on the lock screen with the default messaging app. Go to your texts, menu button, settings, notifications, under preview messages check mark the lock screen option. They should now display on your lock screen.

It's not working for me. Is it because I'm on nova launcher?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'd just like my messages to appear on the lock screen with an indicator of who it is from but without revealing what the message text itself says. That was I can choose to open the message if I deem the sender important but don't reveal any info that may be sensitive without unlocking my phone. Any way to do this? The popups aren't convenient and you can see the text usually.

Perhaps I need to switch to a different phone that allows lock screen widgets?
    Does this seem like it'd do what you're looking for? NiLS floating panel
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

That's what I ended up using after searching the forums today Thanks so much!

It isn't perfect but it is a workaround that is 90% effective... acts a bit weird during blocking mode and is a tad ugly but gets it done. Interesting to see if I could just give up having lock screen notifications and rely on the light.

That's what I ended up using after searching the forums today Thanks so much!

It isn't perfect but it is a workaround that is 90% effective... acts a bit weird during blocking mode and is a tad ugly but gets it done. Interesting to see if I could just give up having lock screen notifications and rely on the light.
    Glad it's working for you, even if it's not exactly what you were wanting. I think I'm okay without the banner style notification on the lockscreen because there's the mail icon in the top left corner. If there were the light but when I couldn't see what app it was notifying me about without pulling down the panel I think it'd really annoy me (really, even with the iPhone unless you happened to see when the screen lit up as an email came in, you'd have to press the the home button to check the screen for notifications). I do know what you mean about wanting to be able to see who the email is from without having to open the mail app or panel. It may be something you end up getting used to, though. Before I bought my S5 I read it had a notification LED. It reminded me of how when I had my Blackberry and switched to iPhone I thought not having a notification light would be annoying, but it ended up being a non-issue and I didn't miss it at all (though now that I have one again, I like it)!

Quote Originally Posted by icouldntpossiblycomment View Post
    Glad it's working for you, even if it's not exactly what you were wanting. I think I'm okay without the banner style notification on the lockscreen because there's the mail icon in the top left corner. If there were the light but when I couldn't see what app it was notifying me about without pulling down the panel I think it'd really annoy me (really, even with the iPhone unless you happened to see when the screen lit up as an email came in, you'd have to press the the home button to check the screen for notifications). I do know what you mean about wanting to be able to see who the email is from without having to open the mail app or panel. It may be something you end up getting used to, though. Before I bought my S5 I read it had a notification LED. It reminded me of how when I had my Blackberry and switched to iPhone I thought not having a notification light would be annoying, but it ended up being a non-issue and I didn't miss it at all (though now that I have one again, I like it)!
    Download light flow to add more colors to your LED notification. For me hangouts is green, WhatsApp is blue, work email is yellow, yahoo is purple.

Takes a little effort to set up, but I love having multi color notifications.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Thanks. I used Light manager or something today to get some custom ones for when the screen is off and NILS is working great so far. Just need to let it be for a few days and see if anything weird happens.

Thanks. I used Light manager or something today to get some custom ones for when the screen is off and NILS is working great so far. Just need to let it be for a few days and see if anything weird happens.
    All you need to do is, if you're using the stock messaging app, is to go into settings>notifications. and under preview message, will be lock screen and status bar. uncheck lock screen and the content of the message won't be shown when your phone is locked.

What a shame this functionality isn't supported natively. My Moto X does this automatically, and I can chose which apps to include in the lock screen notifications. It just works. NiLS seems to be what most people use to mimic the iPhone.

If iPhone does things the way you (the general you) want, why would you switch to Android? Just wondering.

You can use Widget Locker or NiLS from the app store. It displays all your notification on the lock screen

Posted via Android Central App
    the panda has spoken

SlideLock lock screen is something to look at. Its what I use, & like it so far.

Global Posts
    9,143 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Another option for people is to use DashClock and the extensions of the information you would like to see. Just tossing it out there for people looking for other options .

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

How do you get dash clock on the lock screen? Coming from blackberry I'm kind of shocked the S5 is so limited to what you see on lock screen. Loved being able to see that on Blackberry. Also really miss the toast notifications for bums, texts, email, etc that I could instantly reply to without leaving the screen. Love everything else though!

C Locker

NiLS floating panel is a good alternative for lock screen widgets, other than that, you'll have to wait till Android L.