Editing conatcts added via Facebook

Tim Logan1

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I just got my S5, and synced my Facebook friends. The problem is, I go to Contacts, hit the Edit "pen" but when the contact comes up, it will not allow me to change or add anything. This does not happen with contacts I added myself and not synced from Facebook. Any suggestions or fixes?

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The information it's pulling to add the contacts from Facebook is information that your friends on Facebook have made accessible to you as their friend. Only they can edit or change that information and you cannot add to or reduce that information. I believe your only option is to, and this is going to sound like a lot of work, is to create a contact for that person with the edits you want and then link the two contacts. That will cause any anniversaries, birthdays, location information, phone numbers or email addresses sync between the information they are offering to their friends and the information you personally have about them. Alternatively you could request that they update their shared information to include the information you would like displayed, however this would cause their information to be updated to all of their friends and they may not be up for that. However the linked information offers you some options for example you can choose to use their profile pic or one of your own, you will still be able to choose a primary phone # or email so that those are the first to pop up when calling or emailing, and you will be able to choose between the contact name you created or the name they display on Facebook.

Tim Logan1

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, though I must say I'm disappointed. And I believe I understood you, but I want to make 100%. You're saying because I pulled the information from the Facebook app and placed it in my contacts, I cannot change or add to the information...because I pulled it from facebook? That seems extremely...odd. I never had this issue with previous Android based phones.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
You're saying because I pulled the information from the Facebook app and placed it in my contacts, I cannot change or add to the information...because I pulled it from facebook? That seems extremely...odd. I never had this issue with previous Android based phones.

I'm not sure when i had to start doing this but I've been doing it for as long as I can remember syncing my contacts and Facebook. It's not really the app that is how it gets the info to sync. It's easy enough to prove or see how works. Open your people app> scroll to a Facebook only contact> open the menu> you'll note there's no edit option. Open a regular contact> open the menu> there should be an edit option. Now make a contact for a Facebook only contact and link them> open it> open the menu and you should be able to edit but you'll only be able to edit the info you entered, add fields, change the profile pic, etc etc etc. I think there's a way to turn off individual Facebook contacts so that only one contact exists for that individual, giving you a completely editable contact. There may also be an app that imports Facebook contacts and allows editing, but people won't.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae