Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5 - How to get bluetooth to auto connect every time I get in the car?

I've read several posts here where people are having the same issue as me, but do not seem to get a clear answer. I'm going to try to ask the question clear enough so that when others read, they will see this message and have an answer.

I have paired my bluetooth device to Galaxy S5. No issues.
    If I go into my settings and select bluetooth, I see my device list as the only "paired device"

EVERY morning, I have to go into my bluetooth settings and click the _only_ paired device to connect. When I do, it connects with no issues.

All I want the S5 to do is connect when it gets in range (in range since bluetooth is always on).

I doesn't do this by itself. Why?

I do not have any issues pairing. It just doesn't auto connect.

Why, why, why?
    jayhay312 likes this.

Default Re: Galaxy S5 - How to get bluetooth to auto connect every time I get in the car?

nothing ever works like it Should on samsung devices, that's why I quit samsung completely.
    iOS and Android are BOTH great. iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4s, 5, 5c, 5S, LG Optimus G Pro, S3, S4, Note 3, Moto X, Nokia 520, Nokia 1520 (8.1)..
    Currently using LG G2 and iPhone 5s.

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy S5 - How to get bluetooth to auto connect every time I get in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisa View Post
    I've read several posts here where people are having the same issue as me, but do not seem to get a clear answer. I'm going to try to ask the question clear enough so that when others read, they will see this message and have an answer.

I have paired my bluetooth device to Galaxy S5. No issues.
    If I go into my settings and select bluetooth, I see my device list as the only "paired device"

EVERY morning, I have to go into my bluetooth settings and click the _only_ paired device to connect. When I do, it connects with no issues.

All I want the S5 to do is connect when it gets in range (in range since bluetooth is always on).

I doesn't do this by itself. Why?

I do not have any issues pairing. It just doesn't auto connect.

Why, why, why?
    As far as I can see, you have an isolated issue as mine and all of people I know that have the, S5, S4 or S3 (well, all Galaxy series in a summary) connects automatically, add it should. So first thing I'd suggest you is to remove that connection and pair again, this time pay close attention to every single prompt or question it makes after you pair it, it may be possible that initially something was skipped.

Mine connects to my car unit every time I start the car. The Only time it will not, is when my wife has last connected her phone to the same car unit, so the car first looks for the last one that was connected. So in some cases, it's the car system itself and not necessarily the phone.

What type of car? My 2012 Acura TSX w/ Tech connects each time I turn my car on. I've ever remote started my car before and had the phone on the opposite side of the house from my drive way and Bluetooth connects.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Global Posts
    743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Quote Originally Posted by mayconvert View Post
    nothing ever works like it Should on samsung devices, that's why I quit samsung completely.
    Yeah! What an awesome and helpful post!

For the OP:

I'm assuming this connection was automatic from another phone? If so, I second the approach to re-pair. I travel a fair amount, and like the latest new shiny, so I have linked a variety of phones to a variety of cars, and I've noticed that different devices often have different prompts for the same car system.

Posted via Android Central App
    QuadForce likes this.

My samsung note 2 always connects to my car. I am also surprised that it keeps the bluetooth connection with my Gear as well. With only the phone ring disabled on the watch while connected to the car. The sync system in my ford works way better than I ever suspected. I think op's issues are isolated and not Samsung.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by redhat1001 View Post
    Mine connects to my car unit every time I start the car. The Only time it will not, is when my wife has last connected her phone to the same car unit, so the car first looks for the last one that was connected. So in some cases, it's the car system itself and not necessarily the phone.
    have you tried playing music on ur phone before u go into car, that way the radio picks up whats playing instead of finding whats in range

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts

Turn on your Bluetooth on the phone before you turn your car on

If it is already on and I would try what others have suggested.

Devenchi likes this.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

vw Passat and s5 no problem, always connects phone automatically for phone calls. if I switch to media it will play music.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Will do! Thank you Erasat!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Bespinct,

I'll try repairing and watching for dialogs, but I didn't see anything. Perhaps my screen turned off during pairing and I failed so see something.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Shaytoon21, I have tried playing music (great idea!), but it didn't seem to change the behavior.

Global Posts
    1,418 Global Posts

anybody have a solution for this issue, i am one that has an s5 that wont connect automatically when i get into my car. I have to toggle bluetooth off then on everytime. I usually have bluetooth on constantly.

iPhone/widows phone, once my car is on, it auto connect, but not the s5. Anybody found a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by mayconvert View Post
    So you just hang around here because you have nothing better to do? Lol

it works perfect in MY lexus GS350 and wife Infiniti FX35.. What you have to do is disconnect the phone earse the device from your car and start all over again. After you connect it for the 1st time a screen will come on that asks you if you would like to automatically connect to the car every time.. You have to check the box when you first connect the phone..
    fleckrj likes this.

Have you tried updating the BT device in your car? You didn't say if it's an integrated BT system or not. I drive a Ford Flex with Sync. My BT is always on and connects as soon as I turn on the car... in fact, it connects when the phone is in the house and my husband get's in the car to leavE. Perhaps updating the BT device's version software / firmware will help.
    Good luck!

I'm having the same issue. Will try and re-pair and see if that works

I had this same issue with my Ford, BUT I only started seeing it, once I updated to KitKat. I had this problem with my SIII and S5 once on KitKat, before that on my SIII it would connect up automatically each time. Personally I think it is an issue between KitKat and Ford, which means it's something Ford will have to change, which means it will never change since they don't update the Sync systems, ever! (just my opinion)

Same problem here.... Galaxy S5, bought a couple of days ago Android v 4.4.2 T-mobile... car: Subaru Forester 2014. Prior to this I have an older Windows Phone that works perfectly to reconnect by itself. It even remembers to replay the last Pandora music when I enter the car. Phone connected fine to Windows Phone. It did not work with Galaxy S5. I had to have one paired device (the car), then reconnect manually every time....

The problem is with the Samsung bluetooth stack. The phone itself does NOT try to automatically reconnect to bluetooth devices. These phones rely on the accessory to initiate the connection instead. My HTC One M7 would ALSO try to initiate the connection, (IE if I tried to turn on the BT after my car was already on.)

I am noticing the same issue on my S5 with certain bluetooth devices. I have several bluetooth speakers, and if I have to reboot/etc, it will not automatically reconnect to the speakers. This happens sometimes with the apt-X dongle I have in my car as well.

On top of ALL that, I have stuttering audio issues with this S5. No one has a solid answer as to why this happens, but it has been documented on many forums. People have had issues since the S3 with identical stuttering. I think it's because I have 5 BT devices connected while I'm driving, but I never had an issue with the other HTC phones I've owned. I DID have a problem with my S3 and GN2, though.

I may have to return this phone, because even custom ROMs do not appear to fix this horrendous audio skipping issue. It's a shame because I really like the device otherwise, and the water resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    anybody have a solution for this issue, i am one that has an s5 that wont connect automatically when i get into my car. I have to toggle bluetooth off then on everytime. I usually have bluetooth on constantly.

iPhone/widows phone, once my car is on, it auto connect, but not the s5. Anybody found a solution?
    I have the same issue with my Galaxy s5 with my mini van sienna LTD 2011 model. Previously I don't have any issues with my iphone 4s. But with s5 I am able to solve my problem and now everytime I start the car the bluetooth in s5 connects automatically. you can try this process I did and might help you and any one else with similar problems.

Steps to resolve:
    First I removed the phone from the car navigation system (i.e Unregister / delete phone details in cars NAV system)
    Then in Galaxy s5 Reset the settings to factory default settings (under settings -> Backup and reset - >Reset settings) This will reset all the settings to factory default. You will not lose any data but if you have any settings preferred for any application you will lose that and you might need to do that again
    After reset the system will restart
    Now this is the main part you need to be more careful
    If you car system has both phone and Bluetooth features like mine does then go the Setup in the car system select the phone settings, select manage phones add new phone once the connection wizard starts in you phone go to settings bluetooth and scan for devices.
    This should now show your car device info.
    Select the car info and this should start pair and connection.
    Once the connection completes first you will see connected to phone audio and media audio then it will turn to connected to phone audio
    Select the settings icon next to the car name
    it will show 2 check boxes (one is selected)
    in the car system now go to audio -> bluetooth and hit connect (now this will start looking to pair)
    in your phone select the media audio check box after few sec both phone and media check boxes should be selected. Come out of the screen. try to play some music and see if the car system plays the music
    Do the same with phone if you able to see the contacts
    Now turn off the car and lock the phone (sleep mode)
    try turning the car on and wait to see if your system shows bluetooth connected successfully. Now repeat above steps just playing music from phone and seeing contacts in car system

Sorry for long and lengthy process. Let me know if this resolved ur problem.
    <a href='http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=8Z07WEjdut40GieDLglehA%3D%3D'>Get up to 26% extra cash back online shopping</a>

Quote Originally Posted by stonedcl View Post
    it works perfect in MY lexus GS350 and wife Infiniti FX35.. What you have to do is disconnect the phone earse the device from your car and start all over again. After you connect it for the 1st time a screen will come on that asks you if you would like to automatically connect to the car every time.. You have to check the box when you first connect the phone..
    This is what fixed the problem in my Honda CRV and in my wife's Lexus RX 350. If you do not check the box to tell it to always connect and not ask again (I do not remember the exact wording of the prompt, but it is something along that line), the phone will ask you if you want to connect each time you get into the car. Unless you are looking at the phone, you do not see the message, and after about a minute, the message times out and disappears.

I guess it depends on the car. My 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE works flawlessly compared to my bother's 2010 Acura TSX.

Try deleting All Phones in the car. That's how I got my S5 to work on the TSX.
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)

Mine works fine in my 2012 Mazda Speed3. As others have suggested, try deleting all paired devices from the car and then add your device again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast