SMS won't send

Jeffreys

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if this is a little long but I want to be thorough. Im not sure if there any many UK users so I'm gonna explain my problem and the way phone numbers work in the UK.

I purchased a Verizon Galaxy S5 with no connection from Best Buy and brought it back to the UK with me to use here, I can insert a SIM from any network and the phone works.

In the UK, all cell phone numbers start with 07. Phone numbers can be dialled as follows, 07834771883 or +447834771883

When I text the US from the UK, I have to put +1 before the number, e.g. +17142208572 or 0017142208571

My problem is texting a UK number as a reply or as a new message to a number I have saved as +447834771883. If I start a new conversation to a number I have saved, or enter as 07834771883, the message delivers as normal.

When I send a text to a number in the format of +447834771883, I get a message back saying' Your text to speech message to 011447834771882 has been rejected by the recipient phone' this message is coming from +4411447834771883

When I reply to a message in my inbox, I am getting the same message back, even though i started the conversation sending the message to an 07 number.

I have come to the conclusion that when I reply, the phone is adding an extra +4411 before the 447834771882.

If anyone understands this, I would appreciate some help. I have gone thru the settings endlessly but can't find anything.

Regards

Marc

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
where do i find that

messages/settings/text messages/message center

it should have your uk carrier number there for sms ie +44????????? number and not a US +1????????? for Verizon

else Verizon may have locked it or its the region lock thing where you are suppose to clock 5 mins of US carrier charges 1st before its region unlocked so I'm told

You need to check if your S5 was region locked as this maybe the problem

Samsung Offical:
We incorporated a Regional SIM Lock feature into select Galaxy devices to provide customers with an optimal mobile experience in each region including customer care, localized content and services as well as dedicated warranty service.

This means that the initial activation of these devices should be made with a SIM card issued from a mobile operator within the region identified on the sticker of the product package.

Once a device is activated with a SIM card from the same region indicated on the device package, and the cumulative call time is over five minutes, the Regional SIM Lock is automatically and permanently released.

Please note that the Regional SIM Lock does not affect any of the device’s features or performance including global roaming service. After the Regional SIM Lock is released properly, users can use other region’s SIM card anywhere, without restrictions.

SnakeDoctorBerlin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Got the same problem with my new Galaxy S5 from Verizon, when I am using a T_mobile SIM while traveling. SMS won't send. The solution is to change the SMSC number from Verizon to T-Mobile. Problem, you have no menu to change that number. Also code *#*#4636#*#* does not work at all. So far I coul donly switch to the app GO SMS Pro and change the number to the t_Mobile number. Receiving and sending works just fine. Only problem you have to use GO SMS Pro and not your own message app. Question is and I could not find the answer, how to change the Message Center Number in the phone from Verizon to any other carrier. Do you have any idea? I checked for codes, but none work.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Not that it will help you guys..... and I am a Verizon user in the USA.

Verizon has the tightest hold on their phones of any carrier in the world.

It would have been better to pick up a phone from Sprint or T-Mobile as they don't lock them down like AT&T and Verizon do.

Now, since you are not using Verizon I don't think that a Verizon customer service agent could help you even if they wanted to. Your phone will not show up in their system.

Call the customer service agent of your carrier and try to get a really good Tech Person on the line. The first person who answers is a Script Reader and does not understand a word you say.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Not that it will help you guys..... and I am a Verizon user in the USA.

Verizon has the tightest hold on their phones of any carrier in the world.

It would have been better to pick up a phone from Sprint or T-Mobile as they don't lock them down like AT&T and Verizon do.

Now, since you are not using Verizon I don't think that a Verizon customer service agent could help you even if they wanted to. Your phone will not show up in their system.

Call the customer service agent of your carrier and try to get a really good Tech Person on the line. The first person who answers is a Script Reader and does not understand a word you say.

If you get the unlock code for Verizon or AT&T you should have no problems I have used my AT&T S4 in several countries with no problem with local sims

Titan264

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Go to Settings>Applications>Call>Assisted dialing then change Reference country to United States of America, if it is already on United States of America click the settings in the upper right hand corner(three vertical dots) and click Reset. Then check your contacts and make sure you have a 0 in front of the number. It should look like this (07834771883). Do not add +44 or anything else to the number. That should be it.

ngr

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
This works for sending a new message, but not to reply to a message that has been received - the number of the sender appears with the +country.code prefix and just writing a reply means the sms is not sent. A way round this is to click on the person's icon which brings up their entry in the contacts list, then click message - this resets the message to be sent to that number. But it's not really practical for engaging in a conversation by sms. Forget to do that once and you don't realise your message has not gone until you get an error message 12-18 hours later.

Any other workarounds?? Anyone found any way to actually change this? I guess it's the SMSC settings - no problem with making calls to numbers with international prefix. The standard S5 manual has instructions for changing the SMSC, but the Verizon settings have got rid of that option...

(S5 from Verizon, now in UK on 3 network)

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The Verizon carrier minority variant of the Galaxy S5, G900V, is just that... a variant that is designed to specifically work on the Verizon CDMA network in the U.S.A. It comes with loads of modifications and alterations to the original stock Samsung firmware that literally locks it into the Verizon eco-system and is not designed for use outside of it.

See, also, #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

See, also, Using VZW S5 with Three sim card (uk), why am I having problems receiving text messages?