Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

HAWK

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I won my s5 in a raffle as I mentioned before but I'm having a hard time adapting to this phone. Sometimes I love it other times I miss my iPhone. Anyone else go through this?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

U4icLab

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Daily. This is my first Android device after being an Apple guy for years. My iPhone seems more polished and fluid...less busy. That being said, it's hard to go back to a tiny screen. iPhone 6 will be interesting.

Posted via Android Central App

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
Trouble adapting: Yes...it's a newer and technologically superior phone running a different OS with a new to me carrier as well.

Miss my jailbroken 4s: Not a chance!!!

dkp23

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Long time windows phone/iphone user. I also got a free s 5 from samsung as a guest to one of their events. I have a verizon version using on ATT, so eliminating the headache of just going through teh APN settings and trying to get MMS/Voicemail to work, the transition hasn't been smooth.

There is a steep learning curve on this phone, i've had it for a few days now and kind of getting used to it. What i dont like is the amount of settings i have to go through to configure it the way i want. I only want certain sound notifciations and no vibrate but everytime i think i configured, the sound/vibrate pops up for something else and it ist rather annoying to go one by one to set the settings for each one. I wish it could be done in one place, perhaps there is a place, but i can't find it.

One small thing that annoys me though, the calandar ap is always on 31, i am no developer, but i dont think it would be difficult for the calendar app to show todays date?

I have multiple things that i find annoying, but probably can get used to over time. I find the windows phone much easier to use and easy to configure on windows phone 8.1, but the difference between the two platforms is the google apps. While the S5 is integrated with all google services, wp8.1 is not. I can see why google refuses to provide windows phone with official apps, why give up their position of strength in the smartphone race.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Came form iPhone's for the last 5 years but I really didn't have too much of a problem getting used to it. Sure it took a few days mainly because its a completely different OS so things are located in different places and it's just a matter of time of getting used to it. I don't think I'd be able to go back to the iPhone even if they do come out with the 4.7" or rumored 5.5" a few months later. There is no way Apple will allow it to be as customizable as an Android; by that I mean place widgets anywhere you want, change themes to your hears content, different icon packs, access to the file system, a Micro SD Storage and don't forget about the 16 MP camera. Don't get me wrong the iPhone is a very good phone, intuitive to use and very stable OS but once you realize what you have been missing out on it would never be the same experience... for me anyways.

HAWK

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah maybe it just takes some time to get used to it. All I have ever owned for five years has been iPhone

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
It may take a while to adapt. I have been using iphone since the iphone 3G came out and ugprade to every iphone that Apple has released. I went from iPhone 4S to the S4. I skipped the iPhone 5 because I was disappointed that Apple made it it taller and not wider. I bought the S4 last year september, right before Apple's new iphone announcement because I pretty much knew that it would have a fingerprint as rumors pointed out and that it would be the same size.

After getting the S4, I could never go back to looking at my iPhone 4S and I'm glad I made the switch. For one, after playing around with the S4, it made my iPhone 4S so tiny that I could barely watch the screen. It took a while to adapt but I'm used to it now.

After owning the S5 for nearly two weeks, I'm glad I made the right choice going from S4 to an S5.

Even if Apple did release the iphone 6 with larger screen, I would not go back to it. I like to customize my phone the way I want to.

monicajae

May 6, 2014
Visit site
In the Android Central app i had typed a rather wordy, yeah like this one :p, response...so I went laptop. [wait is that An auto-save popup i see?]

On the s5 I had inadvertently touched the back key which, can you guess? Sent me a couple of screens back. then i learned that my textbox emptied, resultingly, my first feeling was: "I wish this app had an autosave feature." I learned the hard way that it doesn't...at least on my s5...:p
I searched for hours, yes, looking for this specific issue. I thought maybe someone else may have had this issue and figured out a way to place hands to grip the phone without "said issue". I found NONE. LOL! I am literally the only person on the PLANET who has suffered this frustrating malady. Wow.
so, I vehemently started touching the screen, not much unlike "spray and pray" in FPS. :mad: i reacted instinctively. Actually, 'touching' is too light a description...more like blindly, madly, "forward buttoning" (ok so i'm a bit extreme :) ), so i thought--there is no such button/touch key. I knew that. :-[ bleh
OMFG, I am FOREVER brushing or grazing the touch keys next to s5's HOME button. Yes! FOREVER!!! I am so used to typing perpendicularly, or, rather, 45 degree-aly, with my thumbs resting on the area next to the iPhone's home button. So, to answer the question: "Yes, i'm having somewhat of a 'hard time adapting to s5'." :D Portrait mode typing is especially "hair-pulling-out-of-head". But what's a phone but to type on? At least for me about 80% of the time...
[Continuing:] I'm now "back buttoning" knowing all too well that it wouldn't magically advance the pages still thinking it was a forward function key! If you couldn't guess already, I had already invested myself to replying to above question. might as well.
I agree that the iphone is a lot more intuitive. lots more. and for me easier to type on :( but i'm having no problem adjusting to the organic screen..! OHHH YEAHHH :) :D the other phones just pale in comparison. this decision was/is a no brainer.

DCRicky

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I do miss some things about my iphone 4... Better notification control, smoother operation, more quality apps... BUT I love my new phone even if it feels like I came home from the store with the wrong child sometimes... Bigger screen, obviously faster than my 4, customizable keyboard I can actually type on, google now, widgets, etc...

Also, with the iphone it was always 'another one is coming in september'. Now it is 'there is another phone every other month that might be better!' Excited to maybe switch things up more often with a Nexus and OnePlus One :)

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I flip back and forth from iOS and Android often. My recent phones have been in this order:

OG Droid > HTC Incredible > iPhone 4 > iPhone 4s > Galaxy Nexus > iPhone 5 > iPhone 5s > Moto X > HTC One m8 > Galaxy s5 (I swapped the m8 for this phone)

I love the customizeability of Android, however the seemlessness and fluidity of iOS makes it amazing to me.

Love both for different reasons, both excel and fall short in certain areas.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not having a hard time with the S5 because of the iPhone, but because of the Nexus. I do LOVE the S5, but the Nexus feels quicker and more clean.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
i'm also an iphone user and just got the brand new s5. still having a hard time adapting to all of these options. but it's fun, keeps you curious and exploring more new things. that's part of the fun right?

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
A few nice perks in Android tho. Like my Tab 3 7.0 LTE has multi user accounts, and my G Flex has Guest mode. Choice in fit and finish, size, camera, battery...tempered by the fact that not every app will work correctly due to the wide array of target platforms.

I haven't liked MacOS since they left 9, and the iOS gadgets have baffling oversights like the mute button and the app store interface. In this day and age you STILL need to install iTunes on someone's computer and LOG IN to review your device purchase history and billing considerations. Android lets you review and manage everything on-device and in many cases you can avoid linking a Google account or using Google services entirely.

Ethically and flexibly, Android is better. BUT in many ways the Apple devices are still built for simple operation and have a few nice touches like the pullup bar. I feel like iPhone is easy to get into but eventually like training wheels you put it down and move on to something else.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Long time windows phone/iphone user. I also got a free s 5 from samsung as a guest to one of their events. I have a verizon version using on ATT, so eliminating the headache of just going through teh APN settings and trying to get MMS/Voicemail to work, the transition hasn't been smooth.

There is a steep learning curve on this phone, i've had it for a few days now and kind of getting used to it. What i dont like is the amount of settings i have to go through to configure it the way i want. I only want certain sound notifciations and no vibrate but everytime i think i configured, the sound/vibrate pops up for something else and it ist rather annoying to go one by one to set the settings for each one. I wish it could be done in one place, perhaps there is a place, but i can't find it.

One small thing that annoys me though, the calandar ap is always on 31, i am no developer, but i dont think it would be difficult for the calendar app to show todays date?

I have multiple things that i find annoying, but probably can get used to over time. I find the windows phone much easier to use and easy to configure on windows phone 8.1, but the difference between the two platforms is the google apps. While the S5 is integrated with all google services, wp8.1 is not. I can see why google refuses to provide windows phone with official apps, why give up their position of strength in the smartphone race.

Or the clock icon showing the time ala iPhone. I find it interesting that iPhone has had this for many years and android still does not. I think it takes several weeks to get the hang of android. And the Galaxies have so many features settings to learn.

I also have a WP with 8.1 on it and I like it. Like it enough that it has replaced my Nexus 5 as my back up device behind my moto x. I do miss some Google apps but gmail is really the only one I need. Also have all the msft accounts etc to get the full effect on wp.

If iPhone does come out with a larger screen iPhone I will probably go that route. The aapl 7:1 stock split will make me rich so I should support apple lol!

Sent from my Moto X!

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
A few nice perks in Android tho. Like my Tab 3 7.0 LTE has multi user accounts, and my G Flex has Guest mode. Choice in fit and finish, size, camera, battery...tempered by the fact that not every app will work correctly due to the wide array of target platforms.

I haven't liked MacOS since they left 9, and the iOS gadgets have baffling oversights like the mute button and the app store interface. In this day and age you STILL need to install iTunes on someone's computer and LOG IN to review your device purchase history and billing considerations. Android lets you review and manage everything on-device and in many cases you can avoid linking a Google account or using Google services entirely.

Ethically and flexibly, Android is better. BUT in many ways the Apple devices are still built for simple operation and have a few nice touches like the pullup bar. I feel like iPhone is easy to get into but eventually like training wheels you put it down and move on to something else.

Wait how is the mute button (im assuming the switch on the side) an oversight. IMO that is something that should be on every smartphone out there. I also feel boomsound speakers and Active Display should be on every smartphone too.

I absolutely love the ability to customize my phone on Android, however I absolutely hate how updates work. With iOS when iOS 8 comes out, all devices (except incredibly old ones) will get it at once. When Android 4.5 or 5.0 comes out it will come to Nexus devices first and maybe 9-10 months from now we will get it on our Galaxy s5.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Wait how is the mute button (im assuming the switch on the side) an oversight. IMO that is something that should be on every smartphone out there. I also feel boomsound speakers and Active Display should be on every smartphone too.

I absolutely love the ability to customize my phone on Android, however I absolutely hate how updates work. With iOS when iOS 8 comes out, all devices (except incredibly old ones) will get it at once. When Android 4.5 or 5.0 comes out it will come to Nexus devices first and maybe 9-10 months from now we will get it on our Galaxy s5.
This is comparing apples and oranges. Iphones all have one manufacturer so there is only one update. Android updates have to be written for each individual manufacturer. Blame it on Samsung that they don't have the update for the S5 as fast as the Nexus line. Am I wrong?

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
This is comparing apples and oranges. Iphones all have one manufacturer so there is only one update. Android updates have to be written for each individual manufacturer. Blame it on Samsung that they don't have the update for the S5 as fast as the Nexus line. Am I wrong?

I mean its not really Apple and Oranges since we are comparing the top smartphone platforms out there. It wasn't an attack on Android by any means (currently using the GS5) just an obersvation on the thing I hate the most about it.

IMO this needs to happen:

Google needs to lock down Android just a little bit more instead of having these god awful skins (every one except Sense).
Apple needs to open up iOS slightly and offer themes and third party keyboards system wide.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

There are a lot of iPhones in my area since Sprint started carrying them too some years ago. And I've repeatedly had to help someone with that useless switch. It slid over to muted inside their rubber phone case and the phone stopped ringing. But nowhere in the UI did it show the phone was muted, and in the SOUND MENU their ringtone still played and there was no indication of the phone being muted!! And on many cases there is no exposure for the switch, they don't even know it exists. I deeply prefer unified audio and on screen notice that the ringer is off.

I would like that speaker setup on more phones and especially tablets, yes. I have mixed feelings about updates...with all this mess over Kit Kat, I am grateful that I was able to get 4.2.2 devices just for now. Well, Google also let the memory consumption bloat up too much and too fast. Many 1GB devices do not like 4.4.2, and anything smaller is a no-go.

Marina Bumber

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Coming from iPhone and I love it although it already feels way more buggy. My friend couldn't believe I haven't ever seen iPhone screen when I deliberately shut it down since I NEVER had to until I was done with it. I can't think of anything I miss
I miss the camera, I think it was better in low lit conditions
And maybe badges :)
And I agree with a member that asks is a dynamic clock and calendar app too much to ask?

I rest my case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair