Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
Like Tree20Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    H A W K's Avatar

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    661 Global Posts

    Default Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    I won my s5 in a raffle as I mentioned before but I'm having a hard time adapting to this phone. Sometimes I love it other times I miss my iPhone. Anyone else go through this?

    Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
  2. #2  

    Default

    Daily. This is my first Android device after being an Apple guy for years. My iPhone seems more polished and fluid...less busy. That being said, it's hard to go back to a tiny screen. iPhone 6 will be interesting.

    Posted via Android Central App
    itguy14 likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    Trouble adapting: Yes...it's a newer and technologically superior phone running a different OS with a new to me carrier as well.

    Miss my jailbroken 4s: Not a chance!!!
    Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand in an effort to sound more photosynthesis
  4. #4  
    dkp23's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,418 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    Long time windows phone/iphone user. I also got a free s 5 from samsung as a guest to one of their events. I have a verizon version using on ATT, so eliminating the headache of just going through teh APN settings and trying to get MMS/Voicemail to work, the transition hasn't been smooth.

    There is a steep learning curve on this phone, i've had it for a few days now and kind of getting used to it. What i dont like is the amount of settings i have to go through to configure it the way i want. I only want certain sound notifciations and no vibrate but everytime i think i configured, the sound/vibrate pops up for something else and it ist rather annoying to go one by one to set the settings for each one. I wish it could be done in one place, perhaps there is a place, but i can't find it.

    One small thing that annoys me though, the calandar ap is always on 31, i am no developer, but i dont think it would be difficult for the calendar app to show todays date?

    I have multiple things that i find annoying, but probably can get used to over time. I find the windows phone much easier to use and easy to configure on windows phone 8.1, but the difference between the two platforms is the google apps. While the S5 is integrated with all google services, wp8.1 is not. I can see why google refuses to provide windows phone with official apps, why give up their position of strength in the smartphone race.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    Came form iPhone's for the last 5 years but I really didn't have too much of a problem getting used to it. Sure it took a few days mainly because its a completely different OS so things are located in different places and it's just a matter of time of getting used to it. I don't think I'd be able to go back to the iPhone even if they do come out with the 4.7" or rumored 5.5" a few months later. There is no way Apple will allow it to be as customizable as an Android; by that I mean place widgets anywhere you want, change themes to your hears content, different icon packs, access to the file system, a Micro SD Storage and don't forget about the 16 MP camera. Don't get me wrong the iPhone is a very good phone, intuitive to use and very stable OS but once you realize what you have been missing out on it would never be the same experience... for me anyways.
    Thanked by:
    PsychDoc, Bkmike23, alhc78 and 4 others like this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    H A W K's Avatar

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    661 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    Yeah maybe it just takes some time to get used to it. All I have ever owned for five years has been iPhone

    Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    It may take a while to adapt. I have been using iphone since the iphone 3G came out and ugprade to every iphone that Apple has released. I went from iPhone 4S to the S4. I skipped the iPhone 5 because I was disappointed that Apple made it it taller and not wider. I bought the S4 last year september, right before Apple's new iphone announcement because I pretty much knew that it would have a fingerprint as rumors pointed out and that it would be the same size.

    After getting the S4, I could never go back to looking at my iPhone 4S and I'm glad I made the switch. For one, after playing around with the S4, it made my iPhone 4S so tiny that I could barely watch the screen. It took a while to adapt but I'm used to it now.

    After owning the S5 for nearly two weeks, I'm glad I made the right choice going from S4 to an S5.

    Even if Apple did release the iphone 6 with larger screen, I would not go back to it. I like to customize my phone the way I want to.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Arctic Blue)
    Successfully ROOTED Samsung Galaxy S5 (Black) - AT&T
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    In the Android Central app i had typed a rather wordy, yeah like this one , response...so I went laptop. [wait is that An auto-save popup i see?]

    On the s5 I had inadvertently touched the back key which, can you guess? Sent me a couple of screens back. then i learned that my textbox emptied, resultingly, my first feeling was: "I wish this app had an autosave feature." I learned the hard way that it doesn't...at least on my s5...
    I searched for hours, yes, looking for this specific issue. I thought maybe someone else may have had this issue and figured out a way to place hands to grip the phone without "said issue". I found NONE. LOL! I am literally the only person on the PLANET who has suffered this frustrating malady. Wow.
    so, I vehemently started touching the screen, not much unlike "spray and pray" in FPS. i reacted instinctively. Actually, 'touching' is too light a description...more like blindly, madly, "forward buttoning" (ok so i'm a bit extreme ), so i thought--there is no such button/touch key. I knew that. bleh
    OMFG, I am FOREVER brushing or grazing the touch keys next to s5's HOME button. Yes! FOREVER!!! I am so used to typing perpendicularly, or, rather, 45 degree-aly, with my thumbs resting on the area next to the iPhone's home button. So, to answer the question: "Yes, i'm having somewhat of a 'hard time adapting to s5'." Portrait mode typing is especially "hair-pulling-out-of-head". But what's a phone but to type on? At least for me about 80% of the time...
    [Continuing:] I'm now "back buttoning" knowing all too well that it wouldn't magically advance the pages still thinking it was a forward function key! If you couldn't guess already, I had already invested myself to replying to above question. might as well.
    I agree that the iphone is a lot more intuitive. lots more. and for me easier to type on but i'm having no problem adjusting to the organic screen..! OHHH YEAHHH the other phones just pale in comparison. this decision was/is a no brainer.
    Marina Bumber likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    I do miss some things about my iphone 4... Better notification control, smoother operation, more quality apps... BUT I love my new phone even if it feels like I came home from the store with the wrong child sometimes... Bigger screen, obviously faster than my 4, customizable keyboard I can actually type on, google now, widgets, etc...

    Also, with the iphone it was always 'another one is coming in september'. Now it is 'there is another phone every other month that might be better!' Excited to maybe switch things up more often with a Nexus and OnePlus One
  10. #10  
    Lynx's Avatar

    Posts
    233 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,175 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    I flip back and forth from iOS and Android often. My recent phones have been in this order:

    OG Droid > HTC Incredible > iPhone 4 > iPhone 4s > Galaxy Nexus > iPhone 5 > iPhone 5s > Moto X > HTC One m8 > Galaxy s5 (I swapped the m8 for this phone)

    I love the customizeability of Android, however the seemlessness and fluidity of iOS makes it amazing to me.

    Love both for different reasons, both excel and fall short in certain areas.
    bgl321 and DCRicky like this.
  11. #11  
    dwd3885's Avatar

    Posts
    630 Posts
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    I'm not having a hard time with the S5 because of the iPhone, but because of the Nexus. I do LOVE the S5, but the Nexus feels quicker and more clean.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    i'm also an iphone user and just got the brand new s5. still having a hard time adapting to all of these options. but it's fun, keeps you curious and exploring more new things. that's part of the fun right?
    Thanked by:
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    A few nice perks in Android tho. Like my Tab 3 7.0 LTE has multi user accounts, and my G Flex has Guest mode. Choice in fit and finish, size, camera, battery...tempered by the fact that not every app will work correctly due to the wide array of target platforms.

    I haven't liked MacOS since they left 9, and the iOS gadgets have baffling oversights like the mute button and the app store interface. In this day and age you STILL need to install iTunes on someone's computer and LOG IN to review your device purchase history and billing considerations. Android lets you review and manage everything on-device and in many cases you can avoid linking a Google account or using Google services entirely.

    Ethically and flexibly, Android is better. BUT in many ways the Apple devices are still built for simple operation and have a few nice touches like the pullup bar. I feel like iPhone is easy to get into but eventually like training wheels you put it down and move on to something else.
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  
    Greg C's Avatar

    Posts
    1,574 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,584 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    Coming from the Nexus 4 I'm not having any trouble. This phone is an awesome device.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    Long time windows phone/iphone user. I also got a free s 5 from samsung as a guest to one of their events. I have a verizon version using on ATT, so eliminating the headache of just going through teh APN settings and trying to get MMS/Voicemail to work, the transition hasn't been smooth.

    There is a steep learning curve on this phone, i've had it for a few days now and kind of getting used to it. What i dont like is the amount of settings i have to go through to configure it the way i want. I only want certain sound notifciations and no vibrate but everytime i think i configured, the sound/vibrate pops up for something else and it ist rather annoying to go one by one to set the settings for each one. I wish it could be done in one place, perhaps there is a place, but i can't find it.

    One small thing that annoys me though, the calandar ap is always on 31, i am no developer, but i dont think it would be difficult for the calendar app to show todays date?

    I have multiple things that i find annoying, but probably can get used to over time. I find the windows phone much easier to use and easy to configure on windows phone 8.1, but the difference between the two platforms is the google apps. While the S5 is integrated with all google services, wp8.1 is not. I can see why google refuses to provide windows phone with official apps, why give up their position of strength in the smartphone race.
    Or the clock icon showing the time ala iPhone. I find it interesting that iPhone has had this for many years and android still does not. I think it takes several weeks to get the hang of android. And the Galaxies have so many features settings to learn.

    I also have a WP with 8.1 on it and I like it. Like it enough that it has replaced my Nexus 5 as my back up device behind my moto x. I do miss some Google apps but gmail is really the only one I need. Also have all the msft accounts etc to get the full effect on wp.

    If iPhone does come out with a larger screen iPhone I will probably go that route. The aapl 7:1 stock split will make me rich so I should support apple lol!

    Sent from my Moto X!
    LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Dev Pre, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...
  16. #16  
    Lynx's Avatar

    Posts
    233 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,175 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    A few nice perks in Android tho. Like my Tab 3 7.0 LTE has multi user accounts, and my G Flex has Guest mode. Choice in fit and finish, size, camera, battery...tempered by the fact that not every app will work correctly due to the wide array of target platforms.

    I haven't liked MacOS since they left 9, and the iOS gadgets have baffling oversights like the mute button and the app store interface. In this day and age you STILL need to install iTunes on someone's computer and LOG IN to review your device purchase history and billing considerations. Android lets you review and manage everything on-device and in many cases you can avoid linking a Google account or using Google services entirely.

    Ethically and flexibly, Android is better. BUT in many ways the Apple devices are still built for simple operation and have a few nice touches like the pullup bar. I feel like iPhone is easy to get into but eventually like training wheels you put it down and move on to something else.
    Wait how is the mute button (im assuming the switch on the side) an oversight. IMO that is something that should be on every smartphone out there. I also feel boomsound speakers and Active Display should be on every smartphone too.

    I absolutely love the ability to customize my phone on Android, however I absolutely hate how updates work. With iOS when iOS 8 comes out, all devices (except incredibly old ones) will get it at once. When Android 4.5 or 5.0 comes out it will come to Nexus devices first and maybe 9-10 months from now we will get it on our Galaxy s5.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    Wait how is the mute button (im assuming the switch on the side) an oversight. IMO that is something that should be on every smartphone out there. I also feel boomsound speakers and Active Display should be on every smartphone too.

    I absolutely love the ability to customize my phone on Android, however I absolutely hate how updates work. With iOS when iOS 8 comes out, all devices (except incredibly old ones) will get it at once. When Android 4.5 or 5.0 comes out it will come to Nexus devices first and maybe 9-10 months from now we will get it on our Galaxy s5.
    This is comparing apples and oranges. Iphones all have one manufacturer so there is only one update. Android updates have to be written for each individual manufacturer. Blame it on Samsung that they don't have the update for the S5 as fast as the Nexus line. Am I wrong?
  18. #18  
    Lynx's Avatar

    Posts
    233 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,175 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    Quote Originally Posted by bassplayrguy View Post
    This is comparing apples and oranges. Iphones all have one manufacturer so there is only one update. Android updates have to be written for each individual manufacturer. Blame it on Samsung that they don't have the update for the S5 as fast as the Nexus line. Am I wrong?
    I mean its not really Apple and Oranges since we are comparing the top smartphone platforms out there. It wasn't an attack on Android by any means (currently using the GS5) just an obersvation on the thing I hate the most about it.

    IMO this needs to happen:

    Google needs to lock down Android just a little bit more instead of having these god awful skins (every one except Sense).
    Apple needs to open up iOS slightly and offer themes and third party keyboards system wide.
    bassplayrguy likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    Wait how is the mute button (im assuming the switch on the side) an oversight. IMO that is something that should be on every smartphone out there. I also feel boomsound speakers and Active Display should be on every smartphone too.

    I absolutely love the ability to customize my phone on Android, however I absolutely hate how updates work. With iOS when iOS 8 comes out, all devices (except incredibly old ones) will get it at once. When Android 4.5 or 5.0 comes out it will come to Nexus devices first and maybe 9-10 months from now we will get it on our Galaxy s5.
    There are a lot of iPhones in my area since Sprint started carrying them too some years ago. And I've repeatedly had to help someone with that useless switch. It slid over to muted inside their rubber phone case and the phone stopped ringing. But nowhere in the UI did it show the phone was muted, and in the SOUND MENU their ringtone still played and there was no indication of the phone being muted!! And on many cases there is no exposure for the switch, they don't even know it exists. I deeply prefer unified audio and on screen notice that the ringer is off.

    I would like that speaker setup on more phones and especially tablets, yes. I have mixed feelings about updates...with all this mess over Kit Kat, I am grateful that I was able to get 4.2.2 devices just for now. Well, Google also let the memory consumption bloat up too much and too fast. Many 1GB devices do not like 4.4.2, and anything smaller is a no-go.
  20. #20  

    Default

    Coming from iPhone and I love it although it already feels way more buggy. My friend couldn't believe I haven't ever seen iPhone screen when I deliberately shut it down since I NEVER had to until I was done with it. I can't think of anything I miss
    I miss the camera, I think it was better in low lit conditions
    And maybe badges
    And I agree with a member that asks is a dynamic clock and calendar app too much to ask?

    I rest my case.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    Every time I think "I must be the only one (fill in the blank)..." I find out I'm not alone. Yes, I'm having a little harder time getting used to it than I expected especially since I've owned a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition for 6 months. I realize a new device will take some getting used to but I don't recall my Droid Razr being as confusing. But then again, I doubt it offered as much as the S5 does. Frankly, I blame the alarming rate of my escaping/decreasing brain cells for a lot of the confusion! I like the phone but I can't seem to hold on to it. I've dropped it (not to the ground) several times in the 2 1/2 days I've had it. Might be a small hands/large phone issue. And every time I press the right side button to turn it on, I inadvertently press the volume buttons. Hopefully I'll tame this beast before it's time for my next upgrade (in two years!)
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    Three weeks in for me here and no buyer’s remorse yet. Indeed, I think if you are intent upon exploring everything there is to explore there is a lot learn. It’s even got options to make it simpler to use for that matter, right? (Haven’t played with that one)

    I’ve enjoyed the challenge to pick up on it. I had zero exposure to Android prior to this. It’s got a ton of tricks up its sleeve. Figured out I can use my Wi-Fi and presumably some form of DLNA to sit on my back porch and play songs off my phone through my Blu-ray player and home theater (and the TV but no output to the receiver). That’s just really pretty cool! It seems to have a lot of wireless connectivity tricks like that I’m not sure an IPhone can do.

    Facebook has been locking up on me and crashing though. I was red faced one evening out on the town the first time it did it to me while I was trying to post a pic of my drink. I know how to shut it down now if that happens again without pulling the battery.

    I’m afraid that it’s not going to restore like ITunes will if it ever needs to be wiped and started fresh, but that is yet to be seen. So many little things to reset if it doesn’t.

    I gave my work IPad back (they’re some real assholes about *personal usage*). I can get by just fine with the S5 alone.
  23. #23  
    lgdlman's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    Went from a 4s to Windows, my first Droid phoe, loving it. This is probably what the next iPhone will be like.

    Love the layout on everything, screen and display is amazing and synch to my work Exchange act fine. Even synch to my Ford Synch better than apple or windows.

    Looked at the HTC but as much as everyone will tell you the camera isn't a big, it's a big deal.

    Posted via Android Central App
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    Every time I think "I must be the only one (fill in the blank)..." I find out I'm not alone. Yes, I'm having a little harder time getting used to it than I expected especially since I've owned a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition for 6 months. I realize a new device will take some getting used to but I don't recall my Droid Razr being as confusing. But then again, I doubt it offered as much as the S5 does. Frankly, I blame the alarming rate of my escaping/decreasing brain cells for a lot of the confusion! I like the phone but I can't seem to hold on to it. I've dropped it (not to the ground) several times in the 2 1/2 days I've had it. Might be a small hands/large phone issue. And every time I press the right side button to turn it on, I inadvertently press the volume buttons. Hopefully I'll tame this beast before it's time for my next upgrade (in two years!)

    +1
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Anyone having a hard time adapting to s5

    Soooo, I just discovered that I can turn the screen on with the home button instead of the on/off button on the right side. That's gonna help.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 81
    Last Post: 06-01-2014, 10:26 AM
  2. Help needed with gaining access to Razr M
    By goobernoodles in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2014, 11:43 AM
  3. how to change edit days
    By Andreas Schmidt1 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2014, 03:35 AM
  4. can't connect my otg cable to moto g
    By sunil hirani in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2014, 04:31 PM
  5. Drippler reports soak invites for 4.4.2 heading out any time now.
    By Westiemom in forum Motorola Droid MAXX
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Posting Permissions