I Can't Open The Charging Cover Door!

jay10203

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't have to worry about that cover anymore seeing how it broke off anyway.. don't worry you open and close it enough probably break off like mine did anyway

Posted via Android Central App

tkpc621

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think its safe to say that any added accessory that fits inside the battery door will break the water resistant seal. The cover fits extremely tight and even the slightest object will cause an issue.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I use wireless "most of the time", but I use the USB port almost daily to transfer files/pictures off the phone.

This wireless charger is only $18.99 and they give you a charging pad with it. Hellof a deal and it does not make the back cover bulge out at all.

* Qi Standard Wireless Charger kit 'mine'

This model does NOT create any additional internal thickness, and the seal is not compromised.

That said, I am not going to purposely submerge it in a basin of water to prove it.

I just know that visually looking at the back of the phone, there is no increase in the original thickness of the back, or extra curvature.

The Qi receiver model I used does not have an overall plastic cover to it. It is nothing more than the mylar material that is used to laminate the wire coil. Barely the thickness of a couple sheets of typing paper.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Congrats on the 1 finger . Now work on the other 9 . Really gross habit . Think of everything you touch all day lone . Ya know like toe jam ect . I don't think I need to go any further . ROFL

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
As a result of my horrible and disgusting habit of biting my nails, I am unable to open the charging cover door. It's horrible. I climb into bed and struggle with it every night.

I wish Samsung had put some sort of tool (like a hook or something) that was connected to the USB cord.

Anyone else having the same issue, and have any suggestions besides making sure I have a paperclip kicking around when I plug my phone in?

Posted via Android Central App

OMG same thing

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 or Samsung galaxy S5

Lana Moore

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem because I wear acrylics nails, they are too thick to fit into the tiny tiny opening that was poorly designed on this port. My work around is to pull one of my post earrings and use it to "pick the lock"

anacortesjim

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
This is a really stupid and unnecessary design flaw. Of course we like the fact that its water proof, but what does that have to do with making the cover so absolutely smooth that not even a ball point pen can squeeze in to open it. Would it be any less waterproof to put a lip on it so we could open this rather important cover as required each day in normal operations? Many of us bite our nails and others just have short nails too. This was a very stupid design flaw that should never have made it to market in a final version. Makes a person wonder what, if any, product testing was done before a final release.

Karson Munson

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello there. Using my brother's fb account to share my secret.

I got my new phone as of yesterday, but I have smooth and well done acrylic nails that would slip out of the little nook. The one thing I've found that works for me is getting a pen cap and using the elongated part to wedge it underneath. Especially the pen caps on say, a Papermate pen, they work best for me. That way I don't have to rip off the cover but I can actually charge the darn thing.

I dunno if it's too late, but I hope it helps! Or at least helps someone!

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
samsung they shouldve made the charging cover better

There is nothing wrong with the design . I keep my nails short . After I cut my nails I use the tip of a pocket knife to open the cover for a couple of days . First World Problem . Sorry I have no sympathy for nail biters .

Figaro14

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I like the floss idea. Almost as soon as I removed this from the box brand new, I saw this charging cover was going to be a problem. I almost broke it off the very first time I tried to pry it off. It's a real problem when you have a cover or case on the phone also. If they had made it a push spring where you pushed in lightly and it popped open, that would work so much better -- but of course that might cost Samsung two cents more per phone. These will undoubtedly break over time regardless. Very flimsy.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I always keep my nails super short so I was having difficulty opening the cover as well. I was keeping a toothpick near my bed and at my desk for when I needed to open it. Now I am able to do it with my nail. It can be a little tricky when I first cut my nails but I can always get it now.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with the design . I keep my nails short . After I cut my nails I use the tip of a pocket knife to open the cover for a couple of days . First World Problem . Sorry I have no sympathy for nail biters .

But you are using a knife to open the charging cover to your phone... That clearly shows there is a design problem with the USB port cover on the S5. You have to use a tool to open it.

I really hate the port cover especially after I trim my nails. Then it's fine a few days later once they start to grow back. My fiance's charging port cover on her S5 has already fallen off. Samsung should have just stuck with regular USB 2.0 (like they did even in the Note 4) but just made the port itself water resistant. Samsung could do it if Sony can with their Z3. It's the only design aspect I hate about the S5. I would buy a wireless charging back but Samsung's adds to the thickness of the phone so I can no longer use my magnetic Logitech case.

coyotebluejean

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I just got my GS5 today and, as a chronic nail biter, couldn't believe all the different things they assumed I'd have the fingernails to accomplish.

For the charging port I've been using a short edge or corner on the charging plug. Undoubtedly not a recommended tool but it's immediately on hand when I need to pop that thing.

Coming from the Seattle area (wet and wetter, also beer) and from a series of iPhones I'm more than a little confused with this obsession over water resistance. I can see it would be useful for people in certain professions and hobbies but otherwise, personally, I never had a problem with water in the iPhone jack. So for me the cover is just a silly bit of business.

bsettz

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
My charger broke off months ago im ordering 2 more and replacing it asap. Dont care how hard it is to get off. I want the phone toilet bowl sink and rain puddle proof. To each his own

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze