Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Almeuit
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Does The Phone Keep Searching For 4G Signal Even In WiFi?

    I'm thinking if this is the case and if you're in a weak cell reception area this could destroy battery life.

    If this is the case would it not be better to disable "data" when on wifi?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Does The Phone Keep Searching For 4G Signal Even In WiFi?

    Yes it does. I shut my data off during the day as I am on wifi. No signal in the building and kills the battery looking for one all day.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Does The Phone Keep Searching For 4G Signal Even In WiFi?

    Quote Originally Posted by bassplayrguy View Post
    Yes it does. I shut my data off during the day as I am on wifi. No signal in the building and kills the battery looking for one all day.
    I'm wondering why this is not getting more play on this and other S5 forums. There's a lot of talk about shutting off animations, etc. But all that stuff doesn't come close to the battery drain that occurs when a phone is searching for signal in a weak signal area. I really don't understand why Samsung would keep the device searching for cell signal if you're already on a wifi network.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Sent from Verizon Galaxy S5 (usually) in NYC
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Does The Phone Keep Searching For 4G Signal Even In WiFi?

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    I'm wondering why this is not getting more play on this and other S5 forums. There's a lot of talk about shutting off animations, etc. But all that stuff doesn't come close to the battery drain that occurs when a phone is searching for signal in a weak signal area. I really don't understand why Samsung would keep the device searching for cell signal if you're already on a wifi network.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app
    The phone will keep searching for cell signal because it needs the signal for text messages, phone calls, etc. The data signal is what it uses for... well data. It shouldn't be looking for 4g LTE while on WiFi since it will use the WiFi connection versus mobile data. Only if the wifi goes off will it jump to mobile data (if enabled).
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Does The Phone Keep Searching For 4G Signal Even In WiFi?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    The phone will keep searching for cell signal because it needs the signal for text messages, phone calls, etc. The data signal is what it uses for... well data. It shouldn't be looking for 4g LTE while on WiFi since it will use the WiFi connection versus mobile data. Only if the wifi goes off will it jump to mobile data (if enabled).
    Are you sure? Even on wifi, it shows lte signal strength. With that said, on wifi, finding the LTE signal strength should take almost no power.

    If you put it in airplane mode then it won't look for lte signal



    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Does The Phone Keep Searching For 4G Signal Even In WiFi?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Are you sure? Even on wifi, it shows lte signal strength. With that said, on wifi, finding the LTE signal strength should take almost no power.

    If you put it in airplane mode then it won't look for lte signal

    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/08/4uhe4equ.jpg

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    From experience I always noticed it had to reconnect back to LTE after dropping wifi versus being right there afterwards.

    @ OP - try disabling mobile data and see what happens when on wifi.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Does The Phone Keep Searching For 4G Signal Even In WiFi?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    From experience I always noticed it had to reconnect back to LTE after dropping wifi versus being right there afterwards.

    @ OP - try disabling mobile data and see what happens when on wifi.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    It does have to reconnect obviously but it does detect lte signal even on wifi, or at least my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 does.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Similar Threads

  1. Does 4G LTE Symbol is shown in the device? Samsung Galaxy S5
    By pepejjla in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-27-2014, 02:22 PM
  2. CM11 now available for the M8
    By Lodingi in forum HTC One (M8) Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 11:19 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-07-2014, 06:56 PM

Posting Permissions