Does The Phone Keep Searching For 4G Signal Even In WiFi?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking if this is the case and if you're in a weak cell reception area this could destroy battery life.

If this is the case would it not be better to disable "data" when on wifi?

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes it does. I shut my data off during the day as I am on wifi. No signal in the building and kills the battery looking for one all day.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes it does. I shut my data off during the day as I am on wifi. No signal in the building and kills the battery looking for one all day.

I'm wondering why this is not getting more play on this and other S5 forums. There's a lot of talk about shutting off animations, etc. But all that stuff doesn't come close to the battery drain that occurs when a phone is searching for signal in a weak signal area. I really don't understand why Samsung would keep the device searching for cell signal if you're already on a wifi network.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering why this is not getting more play on this and other S5 forums. There's a lot of talk about shutting off animations, etc. But all that stuff doesn't come close to the battery drain that occurs when a phone is searching for signal in a weak signal area. I really don't understand why Samsung would keep the device searching for cell signal if you're already on a wifi network.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

The phone will keep searching for cell signal because it needs the signal for text messages, phone calls, etc. The data signal is what it uses for... well data. It shouldn't be looking for 4g LTE while on WiFi since it will use the WiFi connection versus mobile data. Only if the wifi goes off will it jump to mobile data (if enabled).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The phone will keep searching for cell signal because it needs the signal for text messages, phone calls, etc. The data signal is what it uses for... well data. It shouldn't be looking for 4g LTE while on WiFi since it will use the WiFi connection versus mobile data. Only if the wifi goes off will it jump to mobile data (if enabled).

Are you sure? Even on wifi, it shows lte signal strength. With that said, on wifi, finding the LTE signal strength should take almost no power.

If you put it in airplane mode then it won't look for lte signal

4uhe4equ.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure? Even on wifi, it shows lte signal strength. With that said, on wifi, finding the LTE signal strength should take almost no power.

If you put it in airplane mode then it won't look for lte signal

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/08/4uhe4equ.jpg

From experience I always noticed it had to reconnect back to LTE after dropping wifi versus being right there afterwards.

@ OP - try disabling mobile data and see what happens when on wifi.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
From experience I always noticed it had to reconnect back to LTE after dropping wifi versus being right there afterwards.

@ OP - try disabling mobile data and see what happens when on wifi.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

It does have to reconnect obviously but it does detect lte signal even on wifi, or at least my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 does.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1