Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Default SIMPLE Group Texting Question.....

Hi guys,

I'm confused. I keep hearing that the s5 can send group texts and receive the responses in one group text thread (NOT as individual messages under the individual names of the individuals comprising the group).

Is this true????

If so, how????

I can send to my group, but all their responses come back separately in their own threads under each individual's name.

Is there any way to send and receive to groups via the stock text messaging program?

Simple question, but finding the answer has resembled the devil for me.

Thx!
    monicajae likes this.

Default Re: SIMPLE Group Texting Question.....

Yes I do it all the time
    If u check the group messaging box, it will be sent as a group, if u uncheck the group messaging box, it will be sent individually
    SIMPLE Group Texting Question.....-uploadfromtaptalk1399489119129.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Ensure group texting is on within the settings.. It should then allow you to use group messages.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SIMPLE Group Texting Question.....-1399489139779.jpg  
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I do have Group Messaging checked under Messages > Multimedia Messages and my messages to get SENT as group messages. But when the individuals reply to me, their messages come in as individual messages so I have to leave the group to answer them. Basically, the ONLY group message I have is the first one I send. Everyone responds individually, forcing me into individual conversations.

Am I right to deduce that the reason is that nobody ELSE has these settings checked on their phones? If that's the case, is this then not an unsolvable problem - in that every time I want to send a text to 5 ppl, I can't send them all instructions for their specific devices on how to set their responses as group messages. So their responses will force me into individual messaging anyway.

Is the motto then, "No Way Out".

I think I saw a bad movie like that.....

The people I group message with all have iPhones, so Im not sure why its like that for you though

Ok, a dumb question. Where do you find option of group message?

the ppl you text 1...need to be able to receive mms text (vs sms) and 2...their phone has to be set to send group texts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app
    nonie likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by here4kids View Post
    the ppl you text 1...need to be able to receive mms text (vs sms) and 2...their phone has to be set to send group texts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app
    Thank you sir - I believe this is the most concise way to sum it up. Thank you all.....
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Yes I do it all the time
    If u check the group messaging box, it will be sent as a group, if u uncheck the group messaging box, it will be sent individually
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1399489119129.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	116885

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
    One question my man - your texts say MMS beside the time sent. When they're SMS does it also say that? Mine just say the time, so I'm wondering if it's a setting I have to set or if it's only because noone has yet sent me an MMS message.

And as far as MMS goes, is that only for group texting or would a single texter ever send me an MMS?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by mudrubble View Post
    One question my man - your texts say MMS beside the time sent. When they're SMS does it also say that? Mine just say the time, so I'm wondering if it's a setting I have to set or if it's only because noone has yet sent me an MMS message.

And as far as MMS goes, is that only for group texting or would a single texter ever send me an MMS?

Thanks,
    Groups messages are usually sent via MMS (Not sure why)
    If you were to uncheck the "Group Messaging", it would send as single text, and would be sent as SMS

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Ensure group texting is on within the settings.. It should then allow you to use group messages.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Thank you so much I had a walkie talkie app that texted about 500 of my contacts to get that specific app. Glad I came here!

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by monicajae View Post
    Thank you so much I had a walkie talkie app that texted about 500 of my contacts to get that specific app. Glad I came here!

Wait... I guess I have a different issue because I have group text checked and can't message those contacts back

Quote Originally Posted by monicajae View Post
    Wait... I guess I have a different issue because I have group text checked and can't message those contacts back

Actually now that I look I don't even have that option and I'm using the default app.