Why isn't MMS working on S5 when on WiFi?

cliffy223

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
My wife recently bought the Galaxy S5 on Verizon and when anyone sends her a MMS while on wifi it will show that she received it but a download button shows instead of the picture. When she clicks on the button it gives a status bar and then proceeds to say the phone needs to be on data. The same type of message happens when trying to send an MMS.

I have the S4 on the same network and I can do all of this on wifi without any issues.

Anyone else having this problem?

Posted via Android Central App

mgalvez1029

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: MMS not working on S5 when on wifi

Same here with At&T. It's a load of baloney in my opinion. I had metro pcs on the S3 with no problem...

U4icLab

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

Wow. You're right...same for me on att. What's this all about?

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

My wife recently bought the Galaxy S5 on Verizon...I have the S4 on the same network and I can do all of this on wifi without any issues.

Are you sure you don't have data turned on on the S4 and MMS set to auto download? At last check Sprint (and Virgin since they share servers) is the ONLY carrier that has added support to their messaging servers to support MMS over WiFi. With ALL the other carriers you MUST have data turned on to receive or send the DATA portion of an MMS. Note that MMS data usage does NOT come out of your actual data plan but is included in the SMS/MMS plan or per message charge. The only reason Sprint has it is due to their integration with Google Voice--in order to support MMS on GV they had to modify their servers. There has been no hints whether the other carriers will follow their lead.

With data turned on it's *supposed * to automatically use it to send/receive the MMS data. A few users have reported a bizarre bug where they have to turn WiFi off before the MMS data will work correctly--but most users do not.

mnuttall87

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

I have issues getting MMS with Sprint. They keep getting me to do a handsfree activation and it will work for about a day and then revert to never being able to send/receive messages. It's a network issue, or a setting in the phone. No way all of these phones are actually screwed up.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Are you sure you don't have data turned on on the S4 and MMS set to auto download? At last check Sprint (and Virgin since they share servers) is the ONLY carrier that has added support to their messaging servers to support MMS over WiFi. With ALL the other carriers you MUST have data turned on to receive or send the DATA portion of an MMS. Note that MMS data usage does NOT come out of your actual data plan but is included in the SMS/MMS plan or per message charge. The only reason Sprint has it is due to their integration with Google Voice--in order to support MMS on GV they had to modify their servers. There has been no hints whether the other carriers will follow their lead.

With data turned on it's *supposed * to automatically use it to send/receive the MMS data. A few users have reported a bizarre bug where they have to turn WiFi off before the MMS data will work correctly--but most users do not.

T-Mobile has supported texting, MMS, and calls via their wifi calling option for awhile. Sprint is not the only carrier that does this over wifi.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

L7oser

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I'm with T-Mobile and noticed this yesterday. The message will come through with the download button but when you click it, it will never download successfully. Not a big deal to me since I’m rarely on wifi and can just switch to my network to download it but it's strange. Also i don't think i had this problem with my S4.

Dizfunctions

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

This happens for me on any third party app. However, the default app works fine

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

This happens for me on any third party app. However, the default app works fine

If your using a 3rd party app, they usually have MMS settings in their own respective settings which u much check something to receive MMS... I know that's how it was with Chomp

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Dizfunctions

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

If your using a 3rd party app, they usually have MMS settings in their own respective settings which u much check something to receive MMS... I know that's how it was with Chomp

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I know about that but it still doesn't work for me :-(

I've tried go sms pro, hello sms, textra, chomp, and evolve sms, and none of them successfully send pictures or MMS message

cliffy223

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

After doing more test I realized the S5 was on WiFi but not data. After making the change it started working. Thanks

Gee Baby1

May 14, 2014
Visit site

I just figured that out too today, but I never had a problem with receiving mms with my S2 through wifi. Now i have to constantly turn it off when I receive an mms. Anyone know how to fix that?

goldielxs

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site

I have the S3 it worked fine on wifi until this newest update this weekend from VZW... now not only can I not preview the pic in text messages it shows a download button and I can't download unless I turn data on, ticked off about that!
I thought about resetting the phone to factory settings but I don't know how to stop software updates that would bring me right back to where I am today! Can anyone help??? Thanks

bsterne

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

I was able to resolve this issue by disabling "Block background data" under Power saving mode.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site

Tmobile told me in order for mms to work, mobile data must be on. Thats just how it works.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Tmobile told me in order for mms to work, mobile data must be on. Thats just how it works.

Verizon too.

I did a test on that this morning. I did a force setting on ChompSMS to never turn ON data.

Sent myself a normal SMS and 1 second later get the rcvd SMS.

Sent myself an MMS w/pix and it just hung in the twilight zone. It looked like it went, but no rcvd MMS.

About 10 minutes later, I turned DATA to ON and waited. Took a couple minutes but in came the much delayed MMS w/pix.

However, IF the MMS is sent thru Go SMS Pro and WiFi is ON, and DATA is OFF... The MMS will go out AND it will come right back at me!

So, why can't ChompSMS do that? Because they don't have their own WiFi/Internet servers hosting the MMS messages.

I like the extra settings capability of ChompSMS, but Go SMS Pro will do everything I need w/o having to use VZW's DATA.

Here is a situation where the "most favored app", ie, ChompSMS would be nice BECAUSE it is free of advertisements.

We (on the forum) have a lot of complaints about the ads that have shown up on Go SMS Pro, but ya know what? Someone has to pay the bills on the background servers that Go SMS Pro is using to allow me to send and receive a MMS w/pix message and not have to use up my DATA allowance.

It is our choice, we pay the freight one way or the other.

I still have both of the SMS apps loaded, but I am inclined to go back to Go SMS Pro.... pending about another two weeks experience with ChompSMS... gotta see which app irritates me the least.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site

Verizon too.

I did a test on that this morning. I did a force setting on ChompSMS to never turn ON data.

Sent myself a normal SMS and 1 second later get the rcvd SMS.

Sent myself an MMS w/pix and it just hung in the twilight zone. It looked like it went, but no rcvd MMS.

About 10 minutes later, I turned DATA to ON and waited. Took a couple minutes but in came the much delayed MMS w/pix.

However, IF the MMS is sent thru Go SMS Pro and WiFi is ON, and DATA is OFF... The MMS will go out AND it will come right back at me!

So, why can't ChompSMS do that? Because they don't have their own WiFi/Internet servers hosting the MMS messages.

I like the extra settings capability of ChompSMS, but Go SMS Pro will do everything I need w/o having to use VZW's DATA.

Here is a situation where the "most favored app", ie, ChompSMS would be nice BECAUSE it is free of advertisements.

We (on the forum) have a lot of complaints about the ads that have shown up on Go SMS Pro, but ya know what? Someone has to pay the bills on the background servers that Go SMS Pro is using to allow me to send and receive a MMS w/pix message and not have to use up my DATA allowance.

It is our choice, we pay the freight one way or the other.

I still have both of the SMS apps loaded, but I am inclined to go back to Go SMS Pro.... pending about another two weeks experience with ChompSMS... gotta see which app irritates me the least.

The one that tmobile quoted me was with the stock text app. So I guess it differs from different software.

gary_p

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Excellent!
But how did you do it? Swipe where? click where? etc? I'm so #$%ing frustrated by this issue.

gary_p

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

After doing more test I realized the S5 was on WiFi but not data. After making the change it started working. Thanks

Today, 04:20 PM #18 Report Post
gary_p

Excellent!
But how did you do it? Swipe where? click where? etc? I'm so #$%ing frustrated by this issue.

Atravers

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

Sorry, but was there ever a permanent fix for this? I have both wifi and data enabled, but its a pain to have to turn off wifi just to send a MMS