Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Canalla
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Auto Brightness Is Really Well Implemented On This Phone...

Many other phones I've had in the past really struggled with this with brightness fluctuations even under the same light and the screen either being too dark or too light for the given light conditions (usually too dark coming from the Droid DNA). I couldn't be any happier with the auto setting for screen brightness on this phone. It always seems to be just right. And boy, can it ever get bright in sunlight. The S4 screen was a disaster when it came to maximum brightness. So happy that Samsung overcame this as it was the primary reason I didn't go with the S4 and instead, purchased the DNA ( a truly great phone in may ways, BTW).

Hard to imagine anyone not using auto-brightness on this phone.

Is there anyone who sets their own brightness?

Default Re: Auto Brightness Is Really Well Implemented On This Phone...

I usually have mine manually set at about 30%. It works for most situations. Outside I definitely have to kick it up. I was told auto used a ton of battery so I shut it off. I would rather use auto like I did on my S3 but I haven't tested it on battery usage yet.

The auto brightness is very good on the S5, although it was pretty good on the S4 (which was the first phone I used it). The outdoor visibility with auto brightness on, however, makes this a home run. Everyone who looks at the screen outdoors is very impressed.

It also goes even darker than the S4 with the lights off, so I don't have to toggle off AB and go to minimum brightness when I'm reading in bed and don't want to disturb my wife (which is what I did with the S4).

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

i agree
    i was actually playing with the auto dimming last nite, flicking the lights on and off and watching the screen adjust
    troshs likes this.

I really like the auto brightness with power saving mode on which is darker than the regular auto which is great indoors.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayrguy View Post
    I was told auto used a ton of battery so I shut it off.
    Huh???

Wow, that's sure counter-intuitive.

I thought that was the primary purpose of the auto setting.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    Huh???

Wow, that's sure counter-intuitive.

I thought that was the primary purpose of the auto setting.
    That's what I thought too. Someone told me once that the sensor being on at all times, constantly evaluating the lighting to calculate screen brightness was worse than just leaving it at 30% and bumping it up outside when needed. I don't know that I believe that. Just sharing what I have heard.

I keep it on almost full brightness, love the screen! I have about 7 hours on the phone today and I am at 93% battery, auto didn't seem to do any better, maybe worse and I'd rather take advantage of a well lit screen.

I notice on my iphone if I set it to auto brightness it would be buggy sometimes. Not sure if this is the same for S5. I usually set my brightness to 75-80%. That's bright enough for me..

I discovered on a bright day that auto-brightness gives the phone extra brightness, beyond the level you can achieve by turning off the auto-brightness and moving the slider to its max position. It's really a fantastic feature and I agree that it's implemented superbly on this phone! I'm coming from an S3, and the two are light night and day as far as auto-brightness is concerned.

Did some testing and found I am still getting about 30 hours of use even with auto brightness on.. This is big improvement over the S4. It wasn't battery friendly on that phone.