Lock Screen NONE choice not available when Exchange setup?

netmation

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a problem with Samsung Galaxy S5. Once I setup a mail connection to my Exchange Email server all Screen Lock choices are grayed out except for PIN and Password, including the "none" option. If I go to Device Administrator it shows "Email" with a check mark, and "Android Device Admin" with no check. I can uncheck email and that will get all my Screen Lock choices back but will delete my Exchange Server settings and mailbox.

Is there no way to have the Galaxy S5 setup with Exchange and to have NONE as the option for screen lock password?

Saw directions on the S4 that you could clear credentials, but I am not showing any credentials on the S5. Also I do not have an SD card, so no encryption. And the phone is not encrypted either. Also tried the NoLock app, but that did not correct problem either with the S5.

Any thoughts, on what else I can try?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
You can either buy a 3rd party email app that doesn't enable the security or only enables it at the app level, or you can root and bypass it. Otherwise, you'll just have to deal with it. I just went ahead and bought Nine since I can't root since I'm on Verizon. It's got a lot of great features.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This is a company policy acting up and, as far as I know, ANY e-mail client that supports Exchange accounts will invariably apply the security policy (that's why you get the message saying that the server is requesting permission to modify the local policy). When you're setting up the Exchange account, if the administrator has set it up that way, it will ask for a certain amount of security in your mobile device to allow you to configure the account. If you fail to meet this criteria, the account cannot be activated in your device and thus, is erased. In this case, the criteria is that your phone must have some sort of lockscreen protection. In most cases, this policy includes that the lockscreen protection be a secure one, so "slide to unlock" is also disabled if that's the case (which in yours, it seems, it is). That's why you can only see the 'secure' options enabled.

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Spookdroid is correct its your company IT policy you can look under settings/security/device administrators and there probably a policy there you accepted, deleting it will stop your exchange account from working

Jenn-in-DC

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Is there any kind of work around, I can't even change the horrible locked screen photo! If I disengage the exchange server, put in my locked screen photo and then re-engage the exchange server will it wipe out my photo settings? I'm sure it would wipe out my password settings but ugh...I hate looking at that damnable multicolor thing on there. makes me nuts! OR, could I bypass the exchange server and import my mail to google ... SOMETHING!

Thanks for any tips...

EDIT: Found an app called CloudMagic that supposedly will work around it for email; but I have multiple calendars too, including the one on the exchange server. Still searching, there is bound to be something out there!

Jenn

Last edited:

xk56gu

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I have just had this problem and un ticked the device admin choice for mail. It deleted the account in email so I downloaded OWA and it doesn't take over the security of the whole system, it seems to be self contained for security.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox