Insurance For AT&T Galaxy S5

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I just got the insurance. When I first tried it was declined because AT&T counted my time of having the phone when I PREORDERED it... not when I received it. So I called again and spoke to a manager. I told him I didn't receive the phone until April 11. After some wrangling... I was able to get it. If anyone else had a hard time ask to speak to a manager... otherwise AT&T counts your preorder date as when you got the phone and the countdown to getting insurance starts.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got the insurance. When I first tried it was declined because AT&T counted my time of having the phone when I PREORDERED it... not when I received it. So I called again and spoke to a manager. I told him I didn't receive the phone until April 11. After some wrangling... I was able to get it. If anyone else had a hard time ask to speak to a manager... otherwise AT&T counts your preorder date as when you got the phone and the countdown to getting insurance starts.

Did you do an upgrade? If you had the insurance on your other phone your insurance should have rolled over to the s5 ( at least mine did). I think the only exception is if you came from an iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
It was an upgrade, but I have never had insurance before. I decided to get it because of the $600 price tag if something was to happen to my phone.

Did you do an upgrade? If you had the insurance on your other phone your insurance should have rolled over to the s5 ( at least mine did). I think the only exception is if you came from an iPhone.

schwanz583

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Insurance is a waist of money. My GS3 messed up after having it for a year and a half, I didn't have insurance, and I only had to pay $75 for a replacement. I asked the tech if it would have been free if I had insurance and he said it would have been $100!! lol, so I'm glad I didn't waist $10 a month to get screwed when my phone messed up..

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I pay $6.99 per month... plus $200 deductible. If my S5 was to break right now and I didn't have insurance than I would either have to pay full price for a new one or get a cheap phone. You stated you had your phone for a year and a half... of course it was cheaper for you. Try breaking an S5 now and getting a new one on the cheap. Not going to happen.

Insurance is a waist of money. My GS3 messed up after having it for a year and a half, I didn't have insurance, and I only had to pay $75 for a replacement. I asked the tech if it would have been free if I had insurance and he said it would have been $100!! lol, so I'm glad I didn't waist $10 a month to get screwed when my phone messed up..

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
The "insurance" offered to me by ATT cost $ 9.95 per month and ONLY covered loss or THEFT. It did not cover breakage. That's $ 120 per year. It allows one to locate, do a factory reset and they send you a new phone if its stolen.

If the phone is stolen, with the plan a new phone would cost me $ 200 and without the plan would cost me $ 650. Thus, it would cost me $ 120 per year and would only get me a new phone over the next 2 years with a savings of $ 450.

If you google "Android Device Manager," you can locate and do a factory reset with only your google password.

Thus, I decided not to get that insurance.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Look again. My policy states damage, out of warranty repair, theft and loss.

The "insurance" offered to me by ATT cost $ 9.95 per month and ONLY covered loss or THEFT. It did not cover breakage. That's $ 120 per year. It allows one to locate, do a factory reset and they send you a new phone if its stolen.

If the phone is stolen, with the plan a new phone would cost me $ 200 and without the plan would cost me $ 650. Thus, it would cost me $ 120 per year and would only get me a new phone over the next 2 years with a savings of $ 450.

If you google "Android Device Manager," you can locate and do a factory reset with only your google password.

Thus, I decided not to get that insurance.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for that information. Evidently the policy does cover breakage. Here are the key parts I saw when I explored further:

•Monthly Premium: $6.99, per device

The non-refundable deductible for a Samsung Galaxy S 5 is $199.00

•Replacement Equipment: Asurion may fulfill claims with new or remanufactured equipment. The goal is to fulfill the claim with the same make and model of the insured equipment. However, depending on availability, you may instead receive a phone of like-kind and quality. Phone color, brand, model and features may be different and accessory compatibility is not guaranteed.

Thus, they do NOT have to give you a new S5. They could give you an S4 or even an S3. Its still $ 84 per year and $ 168 over two years. The required contract is only TWO years and I'll be buying a new model than in any event. Thus, the $ 450 covered amount depreciates to ZERO over those 2 years and we are paying $ 168 to protect that value, ONLY.

The location services and the ability to strip the phone of all data is still available at Android Device Manager FREE with one's google password.

It still doesn't seem worth the cost of $ 168 to insure a loss of $ 450 which really is an average loss of $ 225 per year since the amount drops to ZERO in 2 years.

I'll self insure my loss and accept it if it happens.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
If I was to break my phone.. without insurance.. I would be paying FULL price for a new one. Plus I would have to continue paying AT&T $25 per month for the original phone. I got it under AT&T's Next 18...I have no contract. There is absolutely no money saved. $600 for a new phone plus $25 per month. No thanks... I will keep my insurance.

Thanks for that information. Evidently the policy does cover breakage. Here are the key parts I saw when I explored further:

•Monthly Premium: $6.99, per device

The non-refundable deductible for a Samsung Galaxy S 5 is $199.00

•Replacement Equipment: Asurion may fulfill claims with new or remanufactured equipment. The goal is to fulfill the claim with the same make and model of the insured equipment. However, depending on availability, you may instead receive a phone of like-kind and quality. Phone color, brand, model and features may be different and accessory compatibility is not guaranteed.

Thus, they do NOT have to give you a new S5. They could give you an S4 or even an S3. Its still $ 84 per year and $ 168 over two years. The required contract is only TWO years and I'll be buying a new model than in any event. Thus, the $ 450 covered amount depreciates to ZERO over those 2 years and we are paying $ 168 to protect that value, ONLY.

The location services and the ability to strip the phone of all data is still available at Android Device Manager FREE with one's google password.

It still doesn't seem worth the cost of $ 168 to insure a loss of $ 450 which really is an average loss of $ 225 per year since the amount drops to ZERO in 2 years.

I'll self insure my loss and accept it if it happens.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Squaretrade is 99 dollars for 2 years plus a 99 dollar deductible. On Tuesdays they have 30 percent off promotions if you signed up on their mailing list.

Why would anybody use ATT for insurance anymore, I have no clue.