Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Woke up in the middle of the night...

Hello all!

I just got myself an S5 and the first night I've had it I noticed that the phone was at the Samsung screen logo and clocking over and over again. I had the phone plugged into the way charging and it was sitting at the main home screen before I went to bed. So sometime after this somehow it crashed or restarted itself but couldn't make its way past the Samsung screen. I had to pull the battery and then the phone booted up properly.

However, about an hour before I went to bed, I went into the Dev options and convert the device over to ART. Anyone knows what's going on?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Woke up in the middle of the night...

What is ART? What does this do? I have seen a couple of posts about doing this but I don't even know how to get into the dev options on this phone?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Android Run Time. It helps the app processes in the background to enable the phone run faster and smoother. It was great on my nexus 5 but not so much of a difference on my s5

Quote Originally Posted by RionDunn View Post
    Android Run Time. It helps the app processes in the background to enable the phone run faster and smoother. It was great on my nexus 5 but not so much of a difference on my s5

It isn't ready to be used yet, it's still in development. You may see some error messages. I tried it for a day, not so good for me.

How do you open dev options?

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayrguy View Post
    How do you open dev options?
    Settings>>About Phone>>Build Number (tap the build number a bunch of times)

After you get a toast message (something along the lines of "you are now a developer"), there should be a Developer Options entry in the settings menu.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Go to about device and just keep clicking on the build and you'll eventually see the developer options unlocked. Be careful when using these options. They have been know to damage devices when you don't know what you're doing. I suggest not using ART on the S5 at this point. It didn't do much for me.

only thing I would consider with my little bit of knowledge would be to cut down animations but at this point I don't think I will mess with anything.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yea, it seems as if you don't need to mess with any Dev options, well especially with ART. It did nothing