How to create & keepwords in Galaxy S5 dictionary?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Creating/keeping words in keyboard dictionary Galaxy S5

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but if you type a word that isn't in the dictionary and then tap the check mark on the top left of the keyboard, it will save that word. HTH

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

Mine auto corrects a lot of crap, and when it does, I just tap on the "corrected" word, and the word I had originally intended is there. If you change the word back, it will save the original word.

DaMaRa1109

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Bring up the keyboard anyway. Hold the mic button select settings. Select my short cuts. Enter whatever text u want in the 1 thru 0 sections. Hit the back key to save.
Amazing feature. I use for my email address and passwords.

Posted via Android Central App

tharley46

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site

I did what you said but when I start a new text, the word I did a check mark on isn't there. It didn't work, I did check mark again, still not there. What am I doing wrong?

FlashmasterK

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

I have the mic button, but my dictionary refuses to save words!! Things like "lick" and "sucks" will always get changed!

BleedBlue21

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

Get to your keyboard...

1) Tap and hold the microphone button...new menu pops up
2) Tap the "gear" settings button
3) Tap "Predictive Text" option...then TURN ON
4) Check the box next to "Personalized Data"...that should keep any words you have used once you have checked them after typing.

Or you can simply turn it off and it will keep anything you actually type.

It's your choice.

toofaan

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
For the words that have already been saved in the dictionary by tapping on the checkmark when you type a new word, is it possible to see the data, and delete the words you do not want it to remember anymore?

Laura Franklin

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
I have no mic button on my keyboard. I have no checkmark either. I can select the word I want and it will use it but won't save and remember for later. Please can someone help me with this

Posted via the Android Central App

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if this will help anyone, but here's a screenshot. You have to type something before the check mark shows up. Are you using the stock keyboard?

Screenshot_2015-01-01.png

Mike Russo1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm having same problem yes the checkmark will save it but min later it's gone again it's very annoying it must be a flaw with the phone

Mike Russo1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same exact problem yes the check mark works but only for a minute then it's missing again. It must be a fly with the phone itself which sucks

myown tune

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I could't find the mic button either, but I discovered how to find the microphone button. Pull up a text message and tap on the reply page to bring up the keyboard. On my S5 the "mic" button is right next to the SYM button. If you have the SVoice function turned off, that button will only show a "gear" symbol. That's ok. Tap and hold that button and you will still get into the keyboard settings.
To turn on the Mic if you want to, go to Settings> find the SYSTEM catagory> tap Language and input> find Keyboards and Input Methods and under that you can tap on or off GOOGLE VOICE TYPING. As for me, it is turned off. That is why I couldn't find the "mic" button.

Mike Russo1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but if you type a word that isn't in the dictionary and then tap the check mark on the top left of the keyboard, it will save that word. HTH

Yes you would think that would work but um yeah it doesn't. The words with be there then dissappear after a min or 2 again.

#Posted via the Android Central App

Theo Simpson

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
The real goal is not necessarily to have a mic button, but to get to the Samsung keyboard settings (or other keyboards if that's what you are using). If you tap in your text message to bring up your keyboard (it can be ANY text box, it just needs to bring up the keyboard), you will see a keyboard icon on the top left of your phone in the notification drop-down. Swipe down to open the notification area and tap on the "Choose input method". Select "Set up input methods" and tap the gear next to the keyboard. You are now in the settings area that some people pointed out can be accessed by tapping and holding on the microphone button on the keyboard.

As it was pointed out earlier in this thread, the way to turn on Predictive Text is from the keyboard settings --> select Predictive Text and turn it ON. Once it's on, you will start to see word suggestions based on what you type, as well as the Check mark pointed out in the above screenshot There are two settings under the Predictive Text menu as well: 1) Live Word Update (will download new and popular words each week via a data connection), and 2) Personalized Data. If Personalized Data is OFF, then you will still see word suggestions and can tap the check mark to use a new word instead of having it auto-correct. Just testing it right now, it is saving my new word until I tap outside the text area and the keyboard minimizes, although the this does not happen every time, sometimes it doesn't save it at all. Turning Personalized Data ON will let you start building your own dictionary. When it is ON, tapping the check box for a new word will let you use that word instead of auto-correcting AND it will save that word so you can use it later, even through changing apps or minimizing the keyboard.

If you accidentally save a word you don't want, you can tap and hold the word in the predictive text box (next to the check mark) and it will give you the option to remove that word from Learned Words. This is especially helpful because it's easy to save words you don't want due to the fact that punctuation saves words rather than auto-correcting. With personalized data ON, when typing a new word, it will be auto-saved, if you put any punctuation after it (not including a space or double-space to make a period). If I type "Cheezy" and hit space, it corrects to "Cheesy". If I hit the check mark instead, it saves "Cheezy" and I can use it later. If I type "Cheezy" and hit "," (comma) it keeps the text as "Cheezy, " and saves "Cheezy" in personal data.

If you want to remove ALL learned words, you do that in the Keyboard Settings --> Predictive Text --> Clear Personal Data. I have not found a way to view all the learned words as a list in order to delete only the ones you wish to remove, the only way seems to be to start typing them in and the long tap the prediction to remove that single word. Unfortunately you have to start typing in the word incorrectly, as that is how it was saved to begin with.

Hope that helps answer everyone's questions, I learned a bunch of new stuff while researching this myself, so thanks to those who contributed as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1