Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By spotnjack
  • 1 Post By JS_racer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Which Car Charger?

Don't want a $2.99 car charger. I'm afraid it will blow up/melt my new spendy phone! What are you guys using?

Default Re: Which Car Charger?

Just make sure it uses at least 2.1 amp. Lower than that will damage the battery life in the long run.

Posted via Android Central App

This is what I recently started using. So far, it seems to keep up with the battery discharge on my S4 while using the navigation. The other reason I got this is that it will charge i devices as well. I have friends with iphones and this lets two different devices charge at the same time.

Amazon.com: Anker® 24W Portable Dual-Port USB Car Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology with [Built-in Micro USB Cable for Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; HTC One (M8)] and [USB Port for iPhone 5S 5C 5; iPad Air mini] (No Lightning cable included) (White):
    SERBDVB likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by spotnjack View Post
    This is what I recently started using. So far, it seems to keep up with the battery discharge on my S4 while using the navigation. The other reason I got this is that it will charge i devices as well. I have friends with iphones and this lets two different devices charge at the same time.

Amazon.com: Anker® 24W Portable Dual-Port USB Car Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology with [Built-in Micro USB Cable for Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; HTC One (M8)] and [USB Port for iPhone 5S 5C 5; iPad Air mini] (No Lightning cable included) (White):
    spotnjack, I found the same charger on ebay. This was listed in the details. It looks like a good charger but it would be a deal breaker if I had to take the cable to and from the car each time... "Usage Note.
    To ensure complete safety and best performance, we strongly recommend using your device's original cable or a third-party certified cable (such as MFI).
    The Built-in Micro-USB cord may not work with thicker bumpers or cases. "

Hmmm. The cord you would have to take to and from the car would be for an iPhone or iPad, because the micro-USB is hardwired into the charger. The i-device cable is not supplied. As far as the bumpers or cases are concerned, I have a Seidio kickstand case on my phone and the charger plugs in just fine. Good luck.

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

I use a $1.99 car charger and from what I remember lower amps shouldrn hurt just take longer to charger.

Sent from my Galaxy 3 Tab with Tapatalk.
    get in da mix

Yeah, I don't think the lower charging amperage will hurt anything. But if you go that route, the charger won't keep up with the phone discharge rate while using navigation.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Samsung Droid Charge (ugh)
    Samsung Galaxy S4

Make sure the charger has a fuse built in as well. Can't hurt to have added protection

Just bought the Anker also, what are you guys using for the cable? Purchase a usb 3.0 cable or just a standard 2.0 mini usb? I don't want to restrict the power flow!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I would would probably buy the 3.0 cable if I knew where to buy it

thanks pain. just bought one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mcp6530 View Post
    Just bought the Anker also, what are you guys using for the cable? Purchase a usb 3.0 cable or just a standard 2.0 mini usb? I don't want to restrict the power flow!
    2.0 mini, with the car charger, 2 usb angel one not The one with the coiled cord.
    I also use a 2.0 cable with the original charger. Still charges very fast about 1% per minute.

Old car charger was only 1a and didn't do well with the s5 compared to the original. The anker car charger is as fast as the home charger. Also have their 5 port 25$ ac charger, that thing is great too!
    spotnjack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JS_racer View Post
    2.0 mini, with the car charger, 2 usb angel one not The one with the coiled cord.
    I also use a 2.0 cable with the original charger. Still charges very fast about 1% per minute.

Old car charger was only 1a and didn't do well with the s5 compared to the original. The anker car charger is as fast as the home charger. Also have their 5 port 25$ ac charger, that thing is great too!
    This^^^. I have the one with the coiled cord and it works great.