Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Phil Nickinson
  • 1 Post By Raptor007
  • 1 Post By natefish
  • 4 Post By ab304945
  • 2 Post By Kevin OQuinn
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By monsieurms
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4.4.3 Coming Later This Month...

...Maybe a fix for all the battery use issues (location, Android System) many of us seem to be having.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Android 4.4.3, KitKat Update Release Date for Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5: May 2014 Launch : In the news : breathecast

Although Google is expected to release the Android 4.4.3 KitKat updates for the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S5 sometime this month, the precise date of their launch is yet to be announced.
    In fact, the Mountain View-based tech titan is also expected to release the Google Play editions for many other smartphone manufacturers, including LG, Sony, HTC, and Motorola at the same time.

According to a recent report, while international variants are expected to receive the Android 4.4.3 updates in either May or June of this year, carrier-based models should get it later but before 2015.
    Like Us on Facebook
    In fact, the new firmware was seen passing through Bluetooth SIG certification. The listing divulged that it will be available with software labeled KTU72.S1.3013. The KTU72 part is actually a build name for Android 4.4.3.
    HTC ROM developer, leakster and LLabTooFer claim that the much-anticipated firmware that will augment the performance of smartphones as well as fix bugs, such as reboots, and problems related to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity is likely to be released in May.
    While LLabTooFeR had tweeted in April that "KTU84F should be final Android 4.4.3 build. It's coming on Nexus and Google Play edition devices soon," last month, leakster also asserted on its website that "Android 4.4.3 (KTU84F) is under final tests and latest flagships like M8 and M7 will get 4.4.3 in near future."
    According to latest reports, Google will first make the Android 4.4.3 KitKat updates available for Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 and subsequently release the firmware for devices manufactured by LG, Sony, HTC and Motorola.

Global Posts
    31,327 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: 4.4.3 Coming Later This Month...

That is a pretty tight schedule considering the Nexus devices haven't even received the update yet.

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

" carrier-based models should get it later but before 2015."

This is the key part of that story .
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,880 Global Posts

Consider the source, folks.
    Kevin OQuinn and Aquila like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Consider the source, folks.
    More information about the 4.4.3 unicorn. Hopefully this time from a more reliable source.

Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Details Leak Thanks to Google

Global Posts
    941 Global Posts

I dunno, as of 2 days ago I now have the S5 and am hopeful, but for some reason I don't see this coming out until at least mid-summer for us. They have to get all the Google devices and GPE's out of the way before they will even look at us. This is a confirmation of 4.4.3 at best.

I don't see it happening in May not on any US carrier based non-nexus device. It takes months for them to approve anything. I mean Verizon still hasn't approved 4.4.2 for the Note 3.
    diamondRanch likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

IIRC 4.5 is due out in the fall so that would mean that 4.4.3 should be coming sooner rather than later.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I guess the big question is whether 4.4.3 will address the battery drain issues.

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    I guess the big question is whether 4.4.3 will address the battery drain issues.
    Only if it comes with a magic bloatware remover

Posted via Android Central App
    troshs likes this.

I don't see what battery drain issue. I get 15-20 hours between charging

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,688 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

More information about the 4.4.3 unicorn. Hopefully this time from a more reliable source.

Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Details Leak Thanks to Google
    The source is the same for both articles.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,688 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

IIRC 4.5 is due out in the fall so that would mean that 4.4.3 should be coming sooner rather than later.
    Man, two rumors in the same thread? I wasn't aware that Google released future version numbers and release dates ahead of time.
    Citizen Coyote and Aquila like this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,688 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ab304945 View Post

There is a bug with the camera that Google has acknowledged will be fixed with 4.4.3. It must be extremely hard to reproduce because it took them quite a while to fix it.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Not everybody has the drain.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app
    debdroid1a likes this.

I get the same amount of hours with my S4 on kit kat.

I'm at 17+ hours and 66%. Light usage but that's normal for me. The majority has been surfing and exploring my new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    There is a bug with the camera that Google has acknowledged will be fixed with 4.4.3. It must be extremely hard to reproduce because it took them quite a while to fix it.
    Can you elaborate? I hadn't heard. Is it something that affects all cameras, or just some, or just when you do a certain thing and forget to exit something or other? I haven't personally noticed a problem, but if there's something good to avoid...
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurms View Post
    Can you elaborate? I hadn't heard. Is it something that affects all cameras, or just some, or just when you do a certain thing and forget to exit something or other? I haven't personally noticed a problem, but if there's something good to avoid...
    The thing with most bugs is that not everyone has them. And like Kevin said, not all of them are easy to reproduce, so if you haven't had the issue, you probably won't ever have it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    The thing with most bugs is that not everyone has them. And like Kevin said, not all of them are easy to reproduce, so if you haven't had the issue, you probably won't ever have it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    I do think my question might actually have a useful answer. Perhaps not. BUT... this is not a garden variety bug of unknown origin at this point. Google has apparently acknowledged the problem. Presumably, therefore, it in fact has been reproduced and there are actually some clues as to what causes it. That might mean it is a good idea to find out what that might be in order to make sure you don't inadvertently trigger the bug.

There are some bugs that have triggers. For instance, you take a video with the camera using HDR mode...and it never shuts off. You could use the camera 80 times and not encounter it because you don't use HDR mode much. The 81st time...boom.

So, if there is any actual information, I'd still be curious and would prefer not to assume "it will never happen to me."
    Topgonzo likes this.

Connected to Kies and I'm getting a firmware update as I type this - not sure if it is this one. T Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post
    Connected to Kies and I'm getting a firmware update as I type this - not sure if it is this one. T Mobile
    No Cigar.. still 4.4.2