Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default talk to text in messaging?

My old Motorola used to have a microphone icon on the keyboard when texting, and I believe the s4 had it so you could talk to text. For the life of me, I cannot find a way to do that on the s5. If I make swype the default input, I get a keyboard that has a mic, but it doesn't do anything when I tap it.

Second, anyone know how to get the stock "Internet" browser back instead of chrome? It's a Verizon device. Thanks.

Global Posts
    17,442 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: talk to text in messaging?

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius66 View Post
    My old Motorola used to have a microphone icon on the keyboard when texting, and I believe the s4 had it so you could talk to text. For the life of me, I cannot find a way to do that on the s5. If I make swype the default input, I get a keyboard that has a mic, but it doesn't do anything when I tap it.

Second, anyone know how to get the stock "Internet" browser back instead of chrome? It's a Verizon device. Thanks.
    As for the mic input, is voice enabled in Settings>Languages and input?

You still have the internet browser on the device, correct?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I never removed the browser. .. just had chrome by default.

There is no voice option in settings. I looked and can't find anything annoy voice input like on other phones.

For the browser go to settings then application then application default and clear chrome from there

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Do you have Google voice typing selected under language and input? See my screenshot. Edit: nevermind, just saw your post that the option simply isn't there. I don't know why that would be.

And Chrome is the default/stock browser. There is no "internet" browser.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails talk to text in messaging?-screenshot_2014-05-10-11-32-38.jpg  
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yeah the Google voice input just isn't there.

There is no browser listing under application defaults. .. nowhere to remove chrome. I have seen pictures where it just says "Internet" with a globe icon instead of chrome.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Fixed the talk to text. I had accidentally disabled Google search. Turning it back on fixed it.
    Thanked by:

Glad you fixed the voice issue. I have the Verizon S5 as well and I can tell you that the only browser that came on my phone is Chrome. You can disable it (but not uninstall it) and install another browser, but there isn't a generic "internet" one that comes preloaded.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

OK. I wonder what the generic Internet that I saw in screenshots was? I guess I will try to get used to Chrome. I am used to the stock Android browser that was included in my Razr Maxx and other phones.

In UK we have chrome and internet as default

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    17,442 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius66 View Post
    OK. I wonder what the generic Internet that I saw in screenshots was? I guess I will try to get used to Chrome. I am used to the stock Android browser that was included in my Razr Maxx and other phones.
    If you use chrome on your desktop, it makes everything easier for search history.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

You should be able to reselect the default browser by going in to the app manager and resetting app prefs. Isn't that what that does? See illustrated screen shot.

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails talk to text in messaging?-2014-05-10-14.36.52.jpg