YouTube hangs after 30 seconds

voltron8myHat

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Howdy. I just got my S5 yesterday, and while there are a lot of things I like so far, I've got a problem that will have me returning the phone on Monday if I can't find a fix. FWIW, I consider myself pretty tech savvy, and have done around an hour of research with no solution in sight.

When viewing a video in YouTube, the video will ALWAYS hang at 30 second intervals (not exact, but close). Pull up any video, hit play, everything is fine and stutter-free, but then at 30 seconds the video freezes (audio continues). If I move the timeline position cursor, the video continues again, but will freeze up again after another 30 seconds. It does this every time without fail.

I haven't been able to find anyone else experiencing this problem with this phone (tablets, S4, other things, yes, but the specific solutions (the few that seem to work for the person posting) don't apply to the S5).

Hopefully somebody out there might have some thoughts, because I'd love to keep this phone. As mentioned, if I can't find a solution this weekend, the phone goes back.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Howdy. I just got my S5 yesterday, and while there are a lot of things I like so far, I've got a problem that will have me returning the phone on Monday if I can't find a fix. FWIW, I consider myself pretty tech savvy, and have done around an hour of research with no solution in sight.

When viewing a video in YouTube, the video will ALWAYS hang at 30 second intervals (not exact, but close). Pull up any video, hit play, everything is fine and stutter-free, but then at 30 seconds the video freezes (audio continues). If I move the timeline position cursor, the video continues again, but will freeze up again after another 30 seconds. It does this every time without fail.

I haven't been able to find anyone else experiencing this problem with this phone (tablets, S4, other things, yes, but the specific solutions (the few that seem to work for the person posting) don't apply to the S5).

Hopefully somebody out there might have some thoughts, because I'd love to keep this phone. As mentioned, if I can't find a solution this weekend, the phone goes back.

were you using the youtube app? have u tried it on an internet browser instead? probably a glitch problem.

voltron8myHat

May 10, 2014
Visit site
were you using the youtube app? have u tried it on an internet browser instead? probably a glitch problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by "glitch problem." I consider a glitch minor and intermittent. This seems to be a consistent and glaring problem, even if it is "just" the app. I try uninstalling updates (you can't uninstall the app) and reinstalling, but to no avail.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by "glitch problem." I consider a glitch minor and intermittent. This seems to be a consistent and glaring problem, even if it is "just" the app. I try uninstalling updates (you can't uninstall the app) and reinstalling, but to no avail.

I meant to say 'buggy', which is a software issue. You have answered me if you have tried it on an internet browser to see if the problem still happens? If yes, it's youtube that's the problem.

voltron8myHat

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Computer browsers (multiple computers, multiple browsers) and even my old Droid Incredible exhibit no issues with YouTube on the same WiFi network with the same videos. It seems to be "this phone" specific. I'm going to try a factory reset to see if that "magically" fixes it, but since no one else seems to be having this problem, my plan is to return it for another at the store that I will make them turn on and check YouTube (over wifi) before I take home.

deceptibot5000

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Computer browsers (multiple computers, multiple browsers) and even my old Droid Incredible exhibit no issues with YouTube on the same WiFi network with the same videos. It seems to be "this phone" specific. I'm going to try a factory reset to see if that "magically" fixes it, but since no one else seems to be having this problem, my plan is to return it for another at the store that I will make them turn on and check YouTube (over wifi) before I take home.

A quick fix would be to uninstall the updates to the youtube app. The issue seems to be with the latest update, and the factory version that comes preloaded on the phone works perfectly fine. You said you were tech savvy, so I won't go into how to uninstall the uodates, but I was having the same issues on my new S5, and this fixed the problem immediately.

danielkotevski

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello I am expeirencing the exact same problem I got my s5 a couple days ago and everytime I watch a youtube video on the app it freezers after 17 seconds but the audio will play like normal however if I open it in the internet it perfectly fine ive tried uninstalling updates but it still happens I think theres a bug in there app I dunno

Herry Tews

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

My S5 froze the video on every youtube play after 17 seconds but the audio kept playing. So in desperation I rolled youtube back to the factory default version and it fixed it. Settings > Application manager > etc. Very poor from youtube, fix it in the next update.

wakeupgeoff

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
My s5 youtube videos freeze at exactly 2 min 26 intervals. The audio will keep going and if I move the slider it will be fine for another 2 min 26 sec. Have rolled back the aop but it didn't fix it unfortunately.

tommyboy08

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello, well I had this problem on a French Galaxy s5, I just made a reboot and it went fine after that...
Hope you'll fixe you're problem.

jonesa223

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue in 11 second intervals
Tried resetting the app; doesn't work
Works online, just not the app which is annoying as the app was rather useful
reluctant to do a factory restore on my phone though. From reading online seems to be a common fault with the S5 so not sure a factory restore would fix it on a permanent basis :-/
This has only recently become an issue though, and I've had the S5 from launch so not entirely sure what's changed

savnout

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I have same problem as do many others from what I've seen on the net. Othes post different times that video freezes and audio keeps playing. Defiantly a app problem with you tube...most likely a buffer over run...mine freezes like 1min into video..others post 30 seconds and such. I uses clean master regularly to clean memory maybe that's why mine goes a min or two... I would suggest everyone let's you tube know about the problem via the app store so they can update it and fix problem.

No need to take your phone back...I love mine after converting from iPhone for years...

Sav

Posted via the Android Central App

Three7s

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Check the memory card:
  • Remove the battery and memory card.
  • Insert the battery, but not the memory card.
  • Turn on the device.

See if you still have the issue. If not:
  • Format the memory card with your phone.
  • You may need a different memory card.

Also,
  • Clear the application cache
  • Clear the S5 cache partition

Three7s

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I found this. I don't need it and didn't test it, but there appears to be a lot of happy users of it.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=jp.nomunomu.dummy&token=rsCbZa59

1. download "dummy file generator" on google play store
2. open the app
3. go on "internal memory" tab
4. dont worry on what to put on the "byte" box
5. select "generate FULL" generate dummy files until storage is full
6. YES, your phone will hang and freeze a couple of times. (what i did is pull out the batt again)
7. keep on doing this until ur memory is full
8. then select "delete" delete all dummy files.
9. then thats it

buckboy_999

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
hi mate i had the same issue but with all internet based video file (eg you tube, jb hi fi now video=ultra violet) any i just went through apps management and disabled all s health and ant services and seemed to do the trick

pizzaman79

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. Video freezes after a set time and then continues 10 seconds later with a 10 second delay in the audio. I cleared data and uninstalled updates, that didn't help. I disabled S health and it was still there. Then i also disabled both Ant+ apps and rebooted and it was fixed.

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This also worked why has this not been sorted ?
its not the main ANT+ but there Plugins that does it i have reported it but herd Nothing

BRIMST0NE

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
had the problem and found that reducing the video resolution one level less (i think it was 480) than 720 solved the problem. at home when the router broadcasts at 140 or more, 720 video runs ok. the minute the wireless speed drops to about 100, the video hang...audio play on happens.:D

Last edited: