Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Custom "Message Tone" For Text Messages?

I'm not too savvy with Smartphones, but was seeking a little help here.

So, I noticed that when you go to edit contacts, you can customize the "MESSAGE TONE" for each contact you would like. To me, I assumed this meant that if they text you, whatever tone you selected would play. However, this does not appear to be the case. I set my wife to have a custom message tone that I transferred from my PC, however, when she texts me, the default text message noise happens.

Is there no way to customize specific tones for specific contacts? I just want to customize it so, let's say, if I don't have a second to grab my phone instantly, I will know who it is based on what tone that plays.

I'm wondering if it's the default text message program, the VERIZON MESSAGES+, that is not allowing this feature to work properly.

Has anyone got custom text tones to work? Do I need to download another text app? If so, what one would you recommend? This default VERIZON MESSAGES+ seems a bit bland.

Default Re: Custom "Message Tone" For Text Messages?

I use go SMS text and it allows you to customize your text. I never could figure out how to do it on the regular message app.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    242 Global Posts

Just tried it by adding a new field to contacts "message tone" and applying a stock tone and it worked fine with the standard Samsung message app

Have you tried a stock tone first incase there is something wrong with your imported one before you blame your carrier ?

Quote Originally Posted by TABOR21 View Post
    I'm not too savvy with Smartphones, but was seeking a little help here.

So, I noticed that when you go to edit contacts, you can customize the "MESSAGE TONE" for each contact you would like. To me, I assumed this meant that if they text you, whatever tone you selected would play. However, this does not appear to be the case. I set my wife to have a custom message tone that I transferred from my PC, however, when she texts me, the default text message noise happens.

Is there no way to customize specific tones for specific contacts? I just want to customize it so, let's say, if I don't have a second to grab my phone instantly, I will know who it is based on what tone that plays.

I'm wondering if it's the default text message program, the VERIZON MESSAGES+, that is not allowing this feature to work properly.

Has anyone got custom text tones to work? Do I need to download another text app? If so, what one would you recommend? This default VERIZON MESSAGES+ seems a bit bland.
    I have a GS5 from Verizon, and I got it in September 2014. Here's what I've found.

In Verizon Messages+:
    You can change the text message sound for all text messages by using Verizon Messages+'s Settings. But it does not obey the per contact settings that you can set in each contact's entry in your Contacts app.

If you use Samsung's Messages app instead, it will use both the all-text-messages custom sound that you can pic in that app's settings, and it will also use the Message Tone field setting that you have in the Contacts app for individual contacts.