Galaxy S5 Screen unlocking in my pocket

DieHardBiker

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Well, I thought I was the only one having this trouble, but I see by the posts here that it's a common complaint.
My Galaxy s5 keeps opening the home scree/lock screen and dialing the phone, (mostly 911 emergency) or it tries to send texts & emails (sometime it succeeds), removes apps & folders from the home screen, etc. all by itself, without my knowledge.
These actions are not just annoying, the accidental/false alarm 911 emergency calls are dangerous, and if it keeps happening I could very well be charged for them.
With my iPhone 4s, even if the screen did lite up with a notification, you had to very deliberately slide the screen, otherwise, it activated only by very deliberately pressing the home button, and the home button was recessed, so it really couldn't be accidentally pressed easily. The button/screen sensitivity, on this POS are way too easily activated in my pocket.
I've tried several lock methods, and screen lock apps. Some help some of these issues, but nothing I've found prevents all of them from happening. In fact when it's "securely" locked with a pattern, pin, or password, is when the most 911 calls are accidentally dialed.
I shouldn't have to ROOT my phone, buy a special case/cover, or otherwise "fix" this on my own. It seems to me that the issue is with the current OS, and a poorly designed home button. There has to be something Samsung/Android can do to fix this design flaw.
Does anyone else agree with me on this???

All I want is for the screen to be TOTALLY INACTIVE UNTIL I DELIBERATELY ACTIVATE IT. Is that too much to ask?
I'm extremely frustrated at this point, and don't see myself owning another Galaxy phone in the future if these issues cannot be corrected.

GazC

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I've never posted before so forgive me if this is old but this has been anoying me too, I have just solved my issue with this by downloading an app called Dynamic notification lock screen, there is an option in the paid app (1.69) to disable the home button unlocking your screen.
Hope it helps someone out there :)

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Well, I thought I was the only one having this trouble, but I see by the posts here that it's a common complaint.
My Galaxy s5 keeps opening the home scree/lock screen and dialing the phone, (mostly 911 emergency) or it tries to send texts & emails (sometime it succeeds), removes apps & folders from the home screen, etc. all by itself, without my knowledge.
These actions are not just annoying, the accidental/false alarm 911 emergency calls are dangerous, and if it keeps happening I could very well be charged for them.
With my iPhone 4s, even if the screen did lite up with a notification, you had to very deliberately slide the screen, otherwise, it activated only by very deliberately pressing the home button, and the home button was recessed, so it really couldn't be accidentally pressed easily. The button/screen sensitivity, on this POS are way too easily activated in my pocket.
I've tried several lock methods, and screen lock apps. Some help some of these issues, but nothing I've found prevents all of them from happening. In fact when it's "securely" locked with a pattern, pin, or password, is when the most 911 calls are accidentally dialed.
I shouldn't have to ROOT my phone, buy a special case/cover, or otherwise "fix" this on my own. It seems to me that the issue is with the current OS, and a poorly designed home button. There has to be something Samsung/Android can do to fix this design flaw.
Does anyone else agree with me on this???

All I want is for the screen to be TOTALLY INACTIVE UNTIL I DELIBERATELY ACTIVATE IT. Is that too much to ask?
I'm extremely frustrated at this point, and don't see myself owning another Galaxy phone in the future if these issues cannot be corrected.

I guess this takes the S5 off my list as a possible upgrade. Bummer :(

Tuon Can

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I have found the solution after experiencing a similar problem myself. What happened is the phone thinks it has the s view cover on. When there is a change in light setting it thinks the s view cover was opened so it unlock the phone for you. To disable this feature you would go to Settings > Accesory > unchecked Automatic unlock.

Cheers!
Tuon

Donna Sayers

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried changing the touch sensitivity on your screen so that it is not so sensitive? I had this problem sticking it in my purse. Never had it with the S2,3, or 4. The only difference I knew of is S5 has a touch sensitivity that allows you to use the phone with gloves. It comes set that way by default. I changed mine and have not had a problem since.

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried changing the touch sensitivity on your screen so that it is not so sensitive? I had this problem sticking it in my purse. Never had it with the S2,3, or 4. The only difference I knew of is S5 has a touch sensitivity that allows you to use the phone with gloves. It comes set that way by default. I changed mine and have not had a problem since.

Good tip. Anyone try this yet?

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
For you mlb at bat app fans (like me), their latest app update may have solved this problem for me. Can setup "cover screen" on S5 as a new feature within the app and as a bonus hopefully solves unlocking problem too.

Posted via Android Central App - Verizon S5

Daryl Larsen

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Thank you!!!! I've been struggling with this problem since I got this phone. I keep it in my shirt pocket and use blue tooth with it but couldn't figure out why even going to the lock screen manually wasn't preventing it from happening. I didn't realize there was a lockout screen time setting and that it was only adjustable if you set some kind of security, which I hadn't done until now.

Cheers!

EaziG

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all your suggestions.

Here's the solution that worked for me, maybe it'll help some of you too.

I installed an app called "Gravity Screen" which is a pocket sensing app.
It'll literally force the display to immediately turn off when the phone screen is lit while in your pocket.

What I liked about it is the amount of control you have over it. Like how much of an angle the phone needs to be in your pocket, which sensors it uses and many others.

It also works with Tasker so you can have even more control if needed.

It's a free app, but the paid version has some good additional features like allowing you to select apps where gravity Screen is automatically disabled, which makes sure it doesn't activate when it's not needed. I have mine set so that it only works for lockscreen.

Also I found that the default sms app lights the display when messages come in. That could be a culprit so if possible, change your default sms app to something like Hangouts which will not light the screen.

I think he screen is too sensitive in general, even when touch Senitivity is turned off. You can feel it when typing, like I am now. Sometimes the keys get hit even when you barely touch them.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

sonofalink

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
This always happens when I work out. I can tell stuff is going on because my music starts to stutter. Yesterday my phone somehow opened my browser, cleared all my tabs, and then navigated to a website about Dr. Seuss.

This is the most craptastic phone I've ever owned.

cdmjlt369

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
One thing I've noticed too... The status bar pulls down way too easily and the screen turns on when getting a notification or phone call. No way to stop it far as I know, at least during a phone call.

jeffkolada

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I mainly have this issue when I am moving a lot, I run and skate with my phone and it often unlocks, changes songs, etc all by itself. In my case I'd like to see 1. a quick setting or whatever (the ones in the notification pull-down) that either disables the home button as unlock or 2. enables a more intricate lock screen when active.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I changed my unlock screen to a Pattern Draw.

It has never opened up accidentally and I carry it in my shirt pocket all the time.

For a while, I was using SWIPE TO UNLOCK,
after about a week of testing that, I went back to Pattern Draw.

Swipe to open is lethal.... lost a folder during that one week test.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae