Galaxy S5 Screen unlocking in my pocket

rbel007

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
this is a horrible problem, AND a total pain!
it happens ALL the time. i had my phone factory default itself because it woke up and entered random PIN entries, after ten times the phone factory defaulted. That factory default feature is grayed out so I can't change it and my company requires PIN security. So I am always susceptible to this happening.
THIS IS A MAJOR FLAW WITH THIS PHONE!
Is there any way to disable the Home button from waking up the phone? that would solve this pocket wake up problem.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon 4.4.4 update changed the Emergency Dialing action from "press to activate" to "Slide to Activate".

That should go a long ways in preventing false 911 calls.

Aaron Mills-Coppin

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I have the S5 and it does the same thing pocket dials pocket texts opens apps up i hate it so much and I don't wanna put a pin on it also its only been happening in the few weeks

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the S5 and it does the same thing pocket dials pocket texts opens apps up i hate it so much and I don't wanna put a pin on it also its only been happening in the few weeks

Change the unlock screen to Pattern and that will take care of the problem without having to enter a pincode.

Kevin Briner

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I always had the screen to lock time out after 10 minutes and never had trouble now all of the sudden it's **** dialing and texting people. I just set it to instantly lock which I know will be a pain but hopefully that solves the issue. I will let you know.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I only had this issue when I used the swipe lock. Now with the pin lock on everything is good.

Posted via Android Central App

Desertnate

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I only had this issue when I used the swipe lock. Now with the pin lock on everything is good.

Your fortunate. When I ran PIN or pattern lock, if a text came in while the phone was in my pocket it would diall 911 since the screen would wake up. After three straight days of this happening I loaded Widget Locker. My phone still comes on in my pocked and does what ever it feels like, but at least I not under the threat of legal action from the local police force for 911 abuse.

While in my pocket, my phone loves to do things like type long texts to random people in my contacts list, open multiple bloat wear applications simultaneously, that I've turned off (yes, the ones I've turned off), turn on the LED flashlight (gets really hot when against your leg), adjust the brightness of my screen (despite being on auto), and change any other number settings and launch apps as it sees fit.

I'm a new Android convert and I love the OS, but the phone randomly performing tasks on its own when sitting on a desk during he day, plus the huge hassle of this pocket behavior may push me back to iOS. At the very least, it's pushing me away from Samsung. It's very frustrating.

RAMGarden

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Here's another flaw that could easily be solved by the phone just never allowing the screen to unlock if its proximity detector detects your pocket like it should. I was walking my dogs so had my hands full. I had my bluetooth headset on and someone called me. So I reached up and answered with the button on the headset. As I was talking every step I took I could hear the water drip sound it makes when you touch the screen. So of course after about 30 steps it managed to land on the hang up button and hang up on the person I was talking to. When I finished walking the dogs I checked the phone to see I had launched three different apps as well. Why can't it just say "IF proximityDetector.detectsSomething() THEN turnScreenOff()" ?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Here's another flaw that could easily be solved by the phone just never allowing the screen to unlock if its proximity detector detects your pocket like it should. I was walking my dogs so had my hands full. I had my bluetooth headset on and someone called me. So I reached up and answered with the button on the headset. As I was talking every step I took I could hear the water drip sound it makes when you touch the screen. So of course after about 30 steps it managed to land on the hang up button and hang up on the person I was talking to. When I finished walking the dogs I checked the phone to see I had launched three different apps as well. Why can't it just say "IF proximityDetector.detectsSomething() THEN turnScreenOff()" ?

MacroDroid can do that for you.

Mike2U

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Quit carrying the phone in your pocket then.

My wife is a Type II diabetic amputee, and we have made a few runs to the hospital over the last couple years. Your lifestyle changes once that disease grips you.

So everybody should just change their lifestyle and not carry the phone in their pocket?

You're not a problem solver, are you? Just imagine for a second that some person must place the phone in their pocket. They have no other choice. I know this can be difficult to imagine for a narcissist who lacks empathy but keep trying. When you give up due to your inability to imagine a point of view that did not originate in your own shallow mind, then you must be a naturally occurring member of the iPhone Movement and are certainly incapable of solving any problem. Give up. (And please buy an iPhone.)

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Your fortunate. When I ran PIN or pattern lock, if a text came in while the phone was in my pocket it would diall 911 since the screen would wake up. After three straight days of this happening I loaded Widget Locker. My phone still comes on in my pocked and does what ever it feels like, but at least I not under the threat of legal action from the local police force for 911 abuse.

While in my pocket, my phone loves to do things like type long texts to random people in my contacts list, open multiple bloat wear applications simultaneously, that I've turned off (yes, the ones I've turned off), turn on the LED flashlight (gets really hot when against your leg), adjust the brightness of my screen (despite being on auto), and change any other number settings and launch apps as it sees fit.

I'm a new Android convert and I love the OS, but the phone randomly performing tasks on its own when sitting on a desk during he day, plus the huge hassle of this pocket behavior may push me back to iOS. At the very least, it's pushing me away from Samsung. It's very frustrating.

That's really weird and that sucks. I don't have that issue. My phone wakes up from text messages, emails, and a few other notifications all while in my pocket for 12hours at work.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I've thought of that too but what if you're trying to use the phone at night when you're in the dark?

Anyway, this is the one thing I absolutely hate about this phone. I'm a runner and it likes to do flaky **** when I go on my runs. Last night it kept opening up voice dialer or something like that. I wasn't even able to replicate it when I got home from my run. I couldn't even find voice dialer on my phone. WTF? I never had this problem with my S4. Not sure what the deal is but this phone sort of sucks in that sense. I am nervous about using a pattern or fingerprint unlock for my runs because I don't want to have it dialing 911 on me. I guess I'll try that out on my next run, though. For daily use, I prefer having swipe to unlock.

cjbeckwith

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I too have the same issue. Company has a security profile which mandates a strong password on the phone. I have it lock instantly and have called 911 3x with the stupid thing. The design in its current format is not great. Love the suggestion of not carrying it in your pocket. Very realistic.... Glad to hear that the 4.4.4 roll out to Verizon has changed the function of the Emergency Dial button. I am on AT&T so hoping they carry that over. I have removed the camera launch button from the home screen as I have had similar issues with multiple pics of the inside of my pocket. I even have a case on the thing, which has helped to a certain extent with hitting the power button, but the buttons on the front of the device are far too easy to press and wake the phone up. Would be awesome if Samsung actually read some of these comments and worked out a solution...

Cristyan Negru

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone out there is having an issue with their s5 unlocking in their pocket what happens to me as I will be walking around at work or whatever someone will text me and I won't feel it vibrate but when I pull my phone out to check it the screen has came unlocked so I have responded with a bunch of gibberish to them or will have multiple apps open the only way I've been able to stop this is by putting a pattern or PIN code on my phone but I really don't want to do that any help would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app
I know why the phone does that....its the "Air wake up" system. Ehile ur smartphone is in your pocket the sensor feels something near and turn on the acreen. To avoid that just turn it off in the setings " Accesibility (a green hand ) > Dexterity and interaction> Air wake up. Just thrn it off and the screen will not turn on... good luck

Desertnate

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I know why the phone does that....its the "Air wake up" system. Ehile ur smartphone is in your pocket the sensor feels something near and turn on the acreen. To avoid that just turn it off in the setings " Accesibility (a green hand ) > Dexterity and interaction> Air wake up. Just thrn it off and the screen will not turn on... good luck

That was one of the first things I turned off when I bought the phone. It still comes on in my pocket when receiving texts and calls.

Josh Makarenko

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Easy solution guys.

Download MacroDroid
Add macro
Trigger: proximity sensor (near)
Action: screen off
constraint: only when screen locked

Problem solved

You can even disable icon in notificatoo bar via settings.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Here's a good one...THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT a pocket friendly phone!

I was jogging, listening to Pandora; the music suddenly goes silent, figuring it may have tried to connect to my wifi, (I jog near my house) I took the phone from my pocked, noticed that I had wifi off, and that the screen was on. A bit puzzled as to why Pandora was closed, I went to my screen where pandora icon was...and it was gone! Went to apps, and not there...went to Settings>App Manager....you guessed it...not there!! Somehow, Pandora uninstalled itself....had to reinstall!!

I now have set up Pattern Unlock, hopefully that will prevent issues like this. I'VE NEVER had this issue with any other phone I've owned. But, I still love the S5, so I'll get over it. LOL!