S5 for more than 3 weeks... Back to Moto X??

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the Galaxy S5 over 3 weeks ago off contract. The two things that I absolutely love about the phone or the incredible battery life and the exceptional camera; having a crazy amount of storage with an SD card is a big plus as well.

HATE -

The stupid little door over the charging port drives me insane.

I can't use the heart rate monitor with the case on the phone, and every time that I have used it my heart rate is 78 beats per minute regardless of my activity.

I'm getting tired of having to update s health every other time I use it.

Sense seems stupid to me, nova launcher fixed that.

This past Thursday I took my Moto X to the local AT&T store and had a nano SIM put in it, and I have been using it since then. The Moto X is extremely fluid but it has its drawbacks. I have to charge the battery about two thirds of the way through the day, and storage is limited. Otherwise the Moto X is a fantastic phone.

Reading through the forum sections for each phone I noticed something. The S5 forum contains people talking about various things breaking or problems that they are having. When I read the Moto X forum I don't detect as many issues.

So here I sit with both of these flagship phones and not the slightest idea which one will serve me best.

Help me think through this (petty) issue......

Posted via Android Central App

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
We can tell you a million reasons why you should keep the s5, but at the end of the day you have to choose the one that works for you.I have had my s 5 since launch day and I haven't had any of the issues that have been posted in the forums. I can agree that the charger door can be annoying. That's about the only thing that I can complain about. Everything else has been fine.I have no experience with the moto x so I can't comment on whether you should keep that.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I purchased the Galaxy S5 over 3 weeks ago off contract. The two things that I absolutely love about the phone or the incredible battery life and the exceptional camera; having a crazy amount of storage with an SD card is a big plus as well.

HATE -

I can't use the heart rate monitor with the case on the phone, and every time that I have used it my heart rate is 78 beats per minute regardless of my activity.

This past Thursday I took my Moto X to the local AT&T store and had a nano SIM put in it, and I have been using it since then. The Moto X is extremely fluid but it has its drawbacks. I have to charge the battery about two thirds of the way through the day, and storage is limited. Otherwise the Moto X is a fantastic phone.

Reading through the forum sections for each phone I noticed something. The S5 forum contains people talking about various things breaking or problems that they are having. When I read the Moto X forum I don't detect as many issues.

So here I sit with both of these flagship phones and not the slightest idea which one will serve me best.

Bad comparison . How long has the Moto X been on the market ? Now how long has the S5 ? Everyone is still learning their s5 phones . I have a feeling if you go back to when the MOTO X was realeased you would see alot of the same type of threads .

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

HATE -

A few things.
If your not worried about water resistant phone, you can remove the flap over the charge. I had it on a dumb phone years ago, doesn't bother me in this one either.
Try a different case? Maybe someone knows one that works with the heart rate monitor. I haven't tried it.

Motorola is known for hardware not software. Samsung for software not hardware.
My Droid 4 had great hardware, only used cases for decorative purposes and only a little time. The software was bad. Jellybean ruined the physical keyboard on a lot of them. I went through 3 devices. All software related. Not user error either. The last one was from a battery that swelled. No replacement battery on the device. My last one I had to charge at least 3 times before bed. That was a refurbished one I had for 2-3 months before my S5.

Warcony

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
To each their own! The Moto X is perfectly adequate for most users. It is one of the phones I recommend most often, especially to people new to Android or are getting their first smartphone.

As a side note: I often find forums are a terrible indication of a phone's performance and quality. Depending on where you go, some forums are more popular for particular devices. The more popular they are, the more issues you will see people posting about.

peteypab2133

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Moto x a flag ship? I would say its an "okay" phone at best. You are putting it in a category with things like the HTC one M8 LG G2, xperia Z2, galaxy note 3 and S5. I consider the moto x to be in the same category as maybe a galaxy s4 mini and lg lucid 3 lol. And before you call me out I have the moto x on the front seat floor of my car just bouncing around. Was forced to used it for 2 months and it was a long two months lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fleckrj

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I switched to the Galaxy s5 from a Motorola Razr two weeks ago, and I have never had a problem with the having to update s Health. I use it at least once per day, and it is always ready to go. Do you have the app set to update automatically? If not, I think that will take care of that problem.

I have also not had a problem with the heart rate monitor. There is a cutout in my case for the rear camera and LED, and the heart rate monitor works fine without removing the case.

I agree that the door over the charging port takes some getting used to, but I need the water-resistant feature, so I have no problem dealing with that. If you do not care whether the phone is water-resistant, then as Debdroid1 suggested, remove the door.

I did not seriously consider the Moto X when it was time to replace the Razr. There was nothing about the Razr that I liked as well as the Galaxy s5, and I could not see much improvement, if any, in the Moto X over the Razr. The only other phone I seriously considered was the HTC One.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Moto x a flag ship? I would say its an "okay" phone at best. You are putting it in a category with things like the HTC one M8 LG G2, xperia Z2, galaxy note 3 and S5. I consider the moto x to be in the same category as maybe a galaxy s4 mini and lg lucid 3 lol. And before you call me out I have the moto x on the front seat floor of my car just bouncing around. Was forced to used it for 2 months and it was a long two months lol

Never put anything in with the S4 mini. The S4 mini needs to sit alone in the corner. Moto X while plain has had a good following because of the software helping the hardware along. Samsung software...for some reason Touchwiz still feels a lot faster on my Snapdragon 400 based tablet than it does on their high end phones. They really need to fix that, a faster device should feel like it.

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

I bought the S5 on April 13. I now have it listed on craigslist.

Back at the buttery smooth Moto X!

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
You'll see more posts complaining of issues in the S5 forum because Samsung is selling waaaay more S5's than Motorola is selling of any of their phones. That leads to more users available to post questions about issues.

Rev.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

What was wrong with your S5? And why didn't you address it? My S5 is buttery smooth, zero lag, no hesitation and is faster than any phone I've ever laid my hands on.

peteypab2133

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Buttery smooth for 6 hours till the battery is dead. The camera is weak and I will never own another phone that doesn't have removable storage.

Huggie87

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I owned a moto x and I would never switch back it's a nice phone but I prefer the s5

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Motorola is known for hardware not software. Samsung for software not hardware.
My Droid 4 had great hardware, only used cases for decorative purposes and only a little time. The software was bad. Jellybean ruined the physical keyboard on a lot of them. I went through 3 devices. All software related. Not user error either. The last one was from a battery that swelled. No replacement battery on the device. My last one I had to charge at least 3 times before bed. That was a refurbished one I had for 2-3 months before my S5.
The Droid 4's battery did kinda, was not very good after a while. However the Moto X is a entire new device. I can't even compare it to the droid series (from keyboards to maxx's). The software is amazing on this pup.

Moto x a flag ship? I would say its an "okay" phone at best. You are putting it in a category with things like the HTC one M8 LG G2, xperia Z2, galaxy note 3 and S5. I consider the moto x to be in the same category as maybe a galaxy s4 mini and lg lucid 3 lol. And before you call me out I have the moto x on the front seat floor of my car just bouncing around. Was forced to used it for 2 months and it was a long two months lol.
Opinions. It's entirely a flagship, just like the iPhone. It's not the best out there in terms of on paper, but its more than a " 'okay' phone at best.". Any reasons you didn't like it? And nice category placing. /s

I have no experience with the S5, so just getting that out of the way.
- Do you prefer Touchwiz or Stock?
- Do you prefer Sammy's gimmicks or Moto's enhancements?
- Is the camera important?
- Is a SD card must have? Or is cloud storage completely capable?

I love my X, its a amazing device for me. I really can't think of a phone I would rather have (besides the X+1). Usually I'm bored with a phone by now, but not the X.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Buttery smooth for 6 hours till the battery is dead. The camera is weak and I will never own another phone that doesn't have removable storage.

LoL,( the underlined part of the quote) The battery on my Moto X last way longer then 6 hours.
I do agree the S5 and the Moto X are two very difference devices.It all depends on what suits your needs more .
Personally I haven't owned the S5 . I have owned the S3

peteypab2133

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
The Droid 4's battery did kinda, was not very good after a while. However the Moto X is a entire new device. I can't even compare it to the droid series (from keyboards to maxx's). The software is amazing on this pup.

Opinions. It's entirely a flagship, just like the iPhone. It's not the best out there in terms of on paper, but its more than a " 'okay' phone at best.". Any reasons you didn't like it? And nice category placing. /s

I have no experience with the S5, so just getting that out of the way.
- Do you prefer Touchwiz or Stock?
- Do you prefer Sammy's gimmicks or Moto's enhancements?
- Is the camera important?
- Is a SD card must have? Or is cloud storage completely capable?

I love my X, its a amazing device for me. I really can't think of a phone I would rather have (besides the X+1). Usually I'm bored with a phone by now, but not the X.

As I sit here with them side by side I cannoth fathom why anyone would use the motox over the s5. Motox has a Smaller screen that is dark as well as all other motorla phones. S5 has Higher resolution and control of screen brightness, bigger battery, better camera, better video, water resistant, more accessories etc etc. The moto x also has that awkward rounded back which stops ypu from playing on it one handed while on a flat surface because ot rocks side to side.

Motox has the following pros. Louder audio and better radio for reception. Side by side I seem to achieve higher signal strength on the moto X. But none of my galaxy phones ever got good reception.

These few pros do not out weigh all the pros on the new s5. I will consider getting the xperia z2 and dropping samsung if it hits the states within the next couple months. I use almost every phone worth anything on verizon and att.

y7ysegam.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol