Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S5 for more than 3 weeks... Back to Moto X??

I purchased the Galaxy S5 over 3 weeks ago off contract. The two things that I absolutely love about the phone or the incredible battery life and the exceptional camera; having a crazy amount of storage with an SD card is a big plus as well.

HATE -

The stupid little door over the charging port drives me insane.

I can't use the heart rate monitor with the case on the phone, and every time that I have used it my heart rate is 78 beats per minute regardless of my activity.

I'm getting tired of having to update s health every other time I use it.

Sense seems stupid to me, nova launcher fixed that.

This past Thursday I took my Moto X to the local AT&T store and had a nano SIM put in it, and I have been using it since then. The Moto X is extremely fluid but it has its drawbacks. I have to charge the battery about two thirds of the way through the day, and storage is limited. Otherwise the Moto X is a fantastic phone.

Reading through the forum sections for each phone I noticed something. The S5 forum contains people talking about various things breaking or problems that they are having. When I read the Moto X forum I don't detect as many issues.

So here I sit with both of these flagship phones and not the slightest idea which one will serve me best.

Help me think through this (petty) issue......

Posted via Android Central App

We can tell you a million reasons why you should keep the s5, but at the end of the day you have to choose the one that works for you.I have had my s 5 since launch day and I haven't had any of the issues that have been posted in the forums. I can agree that the charger door can be annoying. That's about the only thing that I can complain about. Everything else has been fine.I have no experience with the moto x so I can't comment on whether you should keep that.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Default Re: S5 for more than 3 weeks... Back to Moto X??

Sense?? Sure you had an S5?

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rexbaumgartner View Post
    I purchased the Galaxy S5 over 3 weeks ago off contract. The two things that I absolutely love about the phone or the incredible battery life and the exceptional camera; having a crazy amount of storage with an SD card is a big plus as well.

HATE -

I can't use the heart rate monitor with the case on the phone, and every time that I have used it my heart rate is 78 beats per minute regardless of my activity.

This past Thursday I took my Moto X to the local AT&T store and had a nano SIM put in it, and I have been using it since then. The Moto X is extremely fluid but it has its drawbacks. I have to charge the battery about two thirds of the way through the day, and storage is limited. Otherwise the Moto X is a fantastic phone.

Reading through the forum sections for each phone I noticed something. The S5 forum contains people talking about various things breaking or problems that they are having. When I read the Moto X forum I don't detect as many issues.

So here I sit with both of these flagship phones and not the slightest idea which one will serve me best.

Bad comparison . How long has the Moto X been on the market ? Now how long has the S5 ? Everyone is still learning their s5 phones . I have a feeling if you go back to when the MOTO X was realeased you would see alot of the same type of threads .
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by darkhan View Post
    I meant touch wiz. My 54 year old mind doesn't due on all 8 cylinders all the time. :-/

HATE -

A few things.
    If your not worried about water resistant phone, you can remove the flap over the charge. I had it on a dumb phone years ago, doesn't bother me in this one either.
    Try a different case? Maybe someone knows one that works with the heart rate monitor. I haven't tried it.

Motorola is known for hardware not software. Samsung for software not hardware.
    My Droid 4 had great hardware, only used cases for decorative purposes and only a little time. The software was bad. Jellybean ruined the physical keyboard on a lot of them. I went through 3 devices. All software related. Not user error either. The last one was from a battery that swelled. No replacement battery on the device. My last one I had to charge at least 3 times before bed. That was a refurbished one I had for 2-3 months before my S5.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

I meant touch wiz. My 54 year old mind doesn't due on all 8 cylinders all the time. :-/

Not far behind you and completely understand.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhan View Post
    Lol. That's exactly what I was thinking!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

To each their own! The Moto X is perfectly adequate for most users. It is one of the phones I recommend most often, especially to people new to Android or are getting their first smartphone.

As a side note: I often find forums are a terrible indication of a phone's performance and quality. Depending on where you go, some forums are more popular for particular devices. The more popular they are, the more issues you will see people posting about.
    debdroid1a likes this.

Moto x a flag ship? I would say its an "okay" phone at best. You are putting it in a category with things like the HTC one M8 LG G2, xperia Z2, galaxy note 3 and S5. I consider the moto x to be in the same category as maybe a galaxy s4 mini and lg lucid 3 lol. And before you call me out I have the moto x on the front seat floor of my car just bouncing around. Was forced to used it for 2 months and it was a long two months lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I switched to the Galaxy s5 from a Motorola Razr two weeks ago, and I have never had a problem with the having to update s Health. I use it at least once per day, and it is always ready to go. Do you have the app set to update automatically? If not, I think that will take care of that problem.

I have also not had a problem with the heart rate monitor. There is a cutout in my case for the rear camera and LED, and the heart rate monitor works fine without removing the case.

I agree that the door over the charging port takes some getting used to, but I need the water-resistant feature, so I have no problem dealing with that. If you do not care whether the phone is water-resistant, then as Debdroid1 suggested, remove the door.

I did not seriously consider the Moto X when it was time to replace the Razr. There was nothing about the Razr that I liked as well as the Galaxy s5, and I could not see much improvement, if any, in the Moto X over the Razr. The only other phone I seriously considered was the HTC One.
    Jon Jackson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post
    Moto x a flag ship? I would say its an "okay" phone at best. You are putting it in a category with things like the HTC one M8 LG G2, xperia Z2, galaxy note 3 and S5. I consider the moto x to be in the same category as maybe a galaxy s4 mini and lg lucid 3 lol. And before you call me out I have the moto x on the front seat floor of my car just bouncing around. Was forced to used it for 2 months and it was a long two months lol

Never put anything in with the S4 mini. The S4 mini needs to sit alone in the corner. Moto X while plain has had a good following because of the software helping the hardware along. Samsung software...for some reason Touchwiz still feels a lot faster on my Snapdragon 400 based tablet than it does on their high end phones. They really need to fix that, a faster device should feel like it.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I bought the S5 on April 13. I now have it listed on craigslist.

Back at the buttery smooth Moto X!

wnflyer and Riley2521 like this.

You'll see more posts complaining of issues in the S5 forum because Samsung is selling waaaay more S5's than Motorola is selling of any of their phones. That leads to more users available to post questions about issues.

Rev.
    Galaxy S5
    Ubuntu Linux 12.04
    IT Tech
    neiljay6 and Jon Jackson like this.

What was wrong with your S5? And why didn't you address it? My S5 is buttery smooth, zero lag, no hesitation and is faster than any phone I've ever laid my hands on.
    neiljay6 and debdroid1a like this.

Buttery smooth for 6 hours till the battery is dead. The camera is weak and I will never own another phone that doesn't have removable storage.

I owned a moto x and I would never switch back it's a nice phone but I prefer the s5

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    512 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by debdroid1a View Post
    Motorola is known for hardware not software. Samsung for software not hardware.
    My Droid 4 had great hardware, only used cases for decorative purposes and only a little time. The software was bad. Jellybean ruined the physical keyboard on a lot of them. I went through 3 devices. All software related. Not user error either. The last one was from a battery that swelled. No replacement battery on the device. My last one I had to charge at least 3 times before bed. That was a refurbished one I had for 2-3 months before my S5.
    The Droid 4's battery did kinda, was not very good after a while. However the Moto X is a entire new device. I can't even compare it to the droid series (from keyboards to maxx's). The software is amazing on this pup.

Moto x a flag ship? I would say its an "okay" phone at best. You are putting it in a category with things like the HTC one M8 LG G2, xperia Z2, galaxy note 3 and S5. I consider the moto x to be in the same category as maybe a galaxy s4 mini and lg lucid 3 lol. And before you call me out I have the moto x on the front seat floor of my car just bouncing around. Was forced to used it for 2 months and it was a long two months lol.
    Opinions. It's entirely a flagship, just like the iPhone. It's not the best out there in terms of on paper, but its more than a " 'okay' phone at best.". Any reasons you didn't like it? And nice category placing. /s

I have no experience with the S5, so just getting that out of the way.
    - Do you prefer Touchwiz or Stock?
    - Do you prefer Sammy's gimmicks or Moto's enhancements?
    - Is the camera important?
    - Is a SD card must have? Or is cloud storage completely capable?

I love my X, its a amazing device for me. I really can't think of a phone I would rather have (besides the X+1). Usually I'm bored with a phone by now, but not the X.

Global Posts
    7,773 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Buttery smooth for 6 hours till the battery is dead. The camera is weak and I will never own another phone that doesn't have removable storage.

LoL,( the underlined part of the quote) The battery on my Moto X last way longer then 6 hours.
    I do agree the S5 and the Moto X are two very difference devices.It all depends on what suits your needs more .
    Personally I haven't owned the S5 . I have owned the S3

Quote Originally Posted by TechTinker View Post
    The Droid 4's battery did kinda, was not very good after a while. However the Moto X is a entire new device. I can't even compare it to the droid series (from keyboards to maxx's). The software is amazing on this pup.

Opinions. It's entirely a flagship, just like the iPhone. It's not the best out there in terms of on paper, but its more than a " 'okay' phone at best.". Any reasons you didn't like it? And nice category placing. /s

I have no experience with the S5, so just getting that out of the way.
    - Do you prefer Touchwiz or Stock?
    - Do you prefer Sammy's gimmicks or Moto's enhancements?
    - Is the camera important?
    - Is a SD card must have? Or is cloud storage completely capable?

I love my X, its a amazing device for me. I really can't think of a phone I would rather have (besides the X+1). Usually I'm bored with a phone by now, but not the X.
    As I sit here with them side by side I cannoth fathom why anyone would use the motox over the s5. Motox has a Smaller screen that is dark as well as all other motorla phones. S5 has Higher resolution and control of screen brightness, bigger battery, better camera, better video, water resistant, more accessories etc etc. The moto x also has that awkward rounded back which stops ypu from playing on it one handed while on a flat surface because ot rocks side to side.

Motox has the following pros. Louder audio and better radio for reception. Side by side I seem to achieve higher signal strength on the moto X. But none of my galaxy phones ever got good reception.

These few pros do not out weigh all the pros on the new s5. I will consider getting the xperia z2 and dropping samsung if it hits the states within the next couple months. I use almost every phone worth anything on verizon and att.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    debdroid1a likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Maybe you're just really, really, really healthy.

As I sit here with them side by side I cannoth fathom why anyone would use the motox over the s5. Motox has a Smaller screen that is dark as well as all other motorla phones. S5 has Higher resolution and control of screen brightness, bigger battery, better camera, better video, water resistant, more accessories etc etc. The moto x also has that awkward rounded back which stops ypu from playing on it one handed while on a flat surface because ot rocks side to side.

Motox has the following pros. Louder audio and better radio for reception. Side by side I seem to achieve higher signal strength on the moto X. But none of my galaxy phones ever got good reception.

These few pros do not out weigh all the pros on the new s5. I will consider getting the xperia z2 and dropping samsung if it hits the states within the next couple months. I use almost every phone worth anything on verizon and att.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/13/y7ysegam.jpg

You really underestimate how important that feature is if you actually need a phone. Remember the Droid commercials? "IT EVEN MAKES CALLS"

Between antenna and the fluid UI some people are finding it really hard to replace.
    rexbaumgartner likes this.

Global Posts
    512 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

1) Some people like the smaller screen. the 4.7-5" range with this size is perfect for me, well perfect for me in the the sense of media consumption for a phone. I am a man, but I don't really like big phones, hate them.
    2) My screen isn't dark.. It's not blinding bright, but whatever, it works. the 720p screen is great honestly, one of the better screens I've looked at. Yes 1080p is slightly more crisp but it strains the battery and gpu much more. Kinda pointless for this small of the screen. The only size I say 1080p should be used is in the 5.2" + range. And the Moto X does have control of screen brightness?
    3) Heh, the battery last good to me, better than others. The way Motorola built the phone was balance, not throw everything in it and see if it works out. That method is the main reason I hate Samsung devices.
    4) True about the Better Camera & Video. Well mostly. I don't like how Samsung over-sat's the pictures and all. The Moto X does capture the sound better. I don't know enough about the two's video and camera functions to really say more. But the Moto X does seem to capture fast moving objects, still.
    5) Water resistant... how much is? Sony-level? Idk. The Moto X is nano-coated though, keeping it safe from spills, and pretty safe from submergence, if its quick.
    6) True it has more accessories, its a more popular phone duh. The Moto X does have a suprising amount of accessories though for what it is, it'll take till the 2nd or 3rd to reach Samsung/Apple level sucess / known about.
    7) You do have a point about the back. But I never use my phone like that, so dosen't matter to me that much. But the back feels so amazing! I never want to let go of it, it fits perfectly in my hand. Can't say that about the Apple and Samsung slabs.
    8) Thats not all (Signal strengh & Louder audio). Motorola also offers quicker updates, gives you little quirks like the boot animations and spotlight player. Actual useful features. Why need to scroll webpages with eyes and ect? Its bloatware and gimmicks that hardly work. With Motorola you get Active Notifications (something people woh try, usually can't live without), Touchless-Control, Alert, Assist, Migrate, Zap, ect.
    Thanked by:

I was just video taping my son in a baby pool under water with my s5. Further more talking about screen brightness control you may want to compare them at lowest brightness and highest brightness. The difference is astounding. As for samsung throwing things on there to kill battery you don't have to use anything. I get from 730 am till 11 pm and have 25 to 35 percent daily. Also the s5 shoots in 4k video. There is nothing even comparable. Theres going to be bloatware on every carrier phone unless you buy from google or root it. I wasnt trying to argue with anyone just saying I have both phones. And an s4, droid maxx, note 2 and iphone 5 sitting here. I know its literally just my opinion but I atleast have experienced each device for a decent amount of time.

Motorla burned me bad on the bionic and since then I have never enjoyed them

debdroid1a likes this.

You can see from my phones in my signature line I have owned many Galaxies. Just got tired of the bloat and so many features that I have never or will never use. The moto x is my daily driver and I sold my S4 to get it. I think the moto x had 2 maybe 3 apps from att. I think my S4 had over 20 between ATT and Samsung. I even had the 32GB model. Just got tired of it. I had gravitated to Nexus devices and like a more stock like experience so I can pic which apps I use. I just sold my Nexus 5 since it was not getting much pocket time.

The one thing I always come back to is touch less controls, active notifications (although I also have a pebble). I do not know why I always come back to my Moto X. I also have a Lumia 925 that I like especially with the Windows 8.1 update and the camera is superior to any camera I have used on a device so I swap my SIM on weekends when I take most pictures and need my google apps less. The Nokia also has an excellent radio and speaker. I use my iPhone in and near water since I have a life proof case which is superb!

Not ruling out the S5, but until the 32GB model comes out, I will not even look at it. That way I can disable all the bloat and not worry!
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast