Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By sirmaru
  • 3 Post By PsychDoc
  • 1 Post By WhiteiPadMini
  • 2 Post By sirmaru
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The Definitive "Improving-Your-Battery-Life" Settings Thread

So I have been pretty happy overall with my S5 since I got it but I was finding that I was getting maybe 14-16 hours of use on a full charge. I thought the phone and power supply should be somewhat better than this. So I started doing a lot of research, reading through multiple threads on the topic on this and other forums and played around with different settings in my phone. I think I've found a pretty optimal group of settings such that I can recommend them without hesitation. Right now I'm at 78% with almost eight hours off charger. Here are two screenshots:

The Definitive "Improving-Your-Battery-Life" Settings Thread-2014-05-11-23.44.38.jpg, The Definitive "Improving-Your-Battery-Life" Settings Thread-2014-05-11-23.44.48.jpg

So, in no particular order here's what I did to improve battery life to the point that I'm now on track to get almost double the battery life of what I had been getting prior:
    (1) Disabled all animations in Developers settings (for those of you who don't know how to activate Developers settings, go to "About Phone" and tap 7-8x on "build number." This will activate the hidden Developers settings)
    (2) Installed Nova launcher and made it default
    (3) Installed 'Opera for Android' browser and made it my default browser
    (4) Disabled wifi when out and about
    (5) Disabled bluetooth except for when I'm in the car (this was a big battery drain BTW)
    (6) Uninstalled all unused and needless apps
    (7) Bloatware that cannot be uninstalled I disabled and stopped. These include: Amazon (huge battery drain, BTW), Amazon app suite, Amazon Kindle, [Amazon] Appstore, Audible, caller name ID, Flipboard, Google Play Games, Hangouts, Isis mobile wallet, Message+, NFL mobile, S Health and S Voice
    (8) Disabled mobile data when connected to wifi (great app from Play Store to do this: Mobile Data Connection beta)
    (9) Leave Location on "Power Saving" which works fine for everything except for navigation
    (10) Screen brightness on "Auto"
    (11) Unchecked Synch in the full pull-down menu (the one you access by using two fingers to swipe down)
    (12) Disabled the native email app that came with the phone and downloaded the MyMail app from the Play Store (amazingly good app BTW)
    (13) Set screen timeout to 30" and two softtouch keys to 1.5"

I suspect I may have forgotten one or two things and if I remember something I'll add it later but these few things have really made a very dramatic difference in my battery life.

I hope this helps any of you who may be struggling with this issue.

If I've missed something that anyone else can recommend, fire away.

Default Re: The Definitive "Improving-Your-Battery-Life" Settings Thread

Simple way to maximize battery life: turn on Ultra Power Saving Mode when not in use by using two fingers to swipe down from the top and then tapping the proper icon.

One can still make and receive telephone calls and messages in that mode.

My recorded cycles are as follows: down to 21% - 6 days - 4:47 Screen Time - 21:44 Active Time (calculated by dividing Screen Time by Screen Percentage of Use); down to 23% - 4 days - 3:20 Screen Time - 19:37 Active Time; down to 14% - 5 days - 4:07 Screen Time, 17:09 Active Time.
    mezrik likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
    Simple way to maximize battery life: turn on Ultra Power Saving Mode when not in use by using two fingers to swipe down from the top and then tapping the proper icon.

One can still make and receive telephone calls and messages in that mode.

My recorded cycles are as follows: down to 21% - 6 days - 4:47 Screen Time - 21:44 Active Time (calculated by dividing Screen Time by Screen Percentage of Use); down to 23% - 4 days - 3:20 Screen Time - 19:37 Active Time; down to 14% - 5 days - 4:07 Screen Time, 17:09 Active Time.
    Is this maybe the 1000th time you've made this [unrealistic] recommendation?

No one's going to buy a phone like this and put it in permanent "cripple mode."

Simply absurd.

Sheesh
    Sent from Verizon Galaxy S5 (usually) in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    So I have been pretty happy overall with my S5 since I got it but I was finding that I was getting maybe 14-16 hours of use on a full charge. I thought the phone and power supply should be somewhat better than this. So I started doing a lot of research, reading through multiple threads on the topic on this and other forums and played around with different settings in my phone. I think I've found a pretty optimal group of settings such that I can recommend them without hesitation. Right now I'm at 78% with almost eight hours off charger. Here are two screenshots:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-11 23.44.38.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	117696, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-11 23.44.48.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	117697

So, in no particular order here's what I did to improve battery life to the point that I'm now on track to get almost double the battery life of what I had been getting prior:
    (1) Disabled all animations in Developers settings (for those of you who don't know how to activate Developers settings, go to "About Phone" and tap 7-8x on "build number." This will activate the hidden Developers settings)
    (2) Installed Nova launcher and made it default
    (3) Installed 'Opera for Android' browser and made it my default browser
    (4) Disabled wifi when out and about
    (5) Disabled bluetooth except for when I'm in the car (this was a big battery drain BTW)
    (6) Uninstalled all unused and needless apps
    (7) Bloatware that cannot be uninstalled I disabled and stopped. These include: Amazon (huge battery drain, BTW), Amazon app suite, Amazon Kindle, [Amazon] Appstore, Audible, caller name ID, Flipboard, Google Play Games, Hangouts, Isis mobile wallet, Message+, NFL mobile, S Health and S Voice
    (8) Disabled mobile data when connected to wifi (great app from Play Store to do this: Mobile Data Connection beta)
    (9) Leave Location on "Power Saving" which works fine for everything except for navigation
    (10) Screen brightness on "Auto"
    (11) Unchecked Synch in the full pull-down menu (the one you access by using two fingers to swipe down)
    (12) Disabled the native email app that came with the phone and downloaded the MyMail app from the Play Store (amazingly good app BTW)
    (13) Set screen timeout to 30" and two softtouch keys to 1.5"

I suspect I may have forgotten one or two things and if I remember something I'll add it later but these few things have really made a very dramatic difference in my battery life.

I hope this helps any of you who may be struggling with this issue.

If I've missed something that anyone else can recommend, fire away.
    I've done everything but #3 and 10.

I'm currently using chrome figuring out if I should get adblock or not. Also, I don't know if I should get "dolphin" browser instead. Heard good things about it. Dont know how go it is yet.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by PainFX View Post

I'm currently using chrome figuring out if I should get adblock or not. Also, I don't know if I should get "dolphin" browser instead. Heard good things about it. Dont know how go it is yet.
    Tried Dolphin and found I preferred Opera. Smoother, and it seems to handle flash content better. Both do a good job with text reflow... a big plus over Chrome which does not do this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Sent from Verizon Galaxy S5 (usually) in NYC

What's your onscreen time? I've gotten 7.25 hours onscreen and 27 hours down to 5% battery recently with moderate/heavy use (camera, flash, audio streaming, web browsing).

Quote Originally Posted by PainFX View Post

I like Opera Browser and Boat browser and I only browse in incognito/private mode.

Posted via Android Central App

Is this maybe the 1000th time you've made this [unrealistic] recommendation?

No one's going to buy a phone like this and put it in permanent "cripple mode."

Simply absurd.

Sheesh
    I agree it is very unrealistic to recommend the Ultra Power saving mode. It pretty much dumbs down your phone and can only use certain apps, and you might as well just get a dumb phone that doesn't use a lot of power. Only time the UPS is useful is if your battery is running low and you are no where near the charging port or forgot to carry one with you, and you need that in case of emergency.

Even without using any power saving mode, I unplug my phone in the morning around 7 am. By the end day, it's around 70% before I plug it in to charge. So really, I don't need the UPS and I would rarely use this mode.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Arctic Blue)
    Successfully ROOTED Samsung Galaxy S5 (Black) - AT&T
    Greg C likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteiPadMini View Post
    I agree it is very unrealistic to recommend the Ultra Power saving mode. It pretty much dumbs down your phone and can only use certain apps, and you might as well just get a dumb phone that doesn't use a lot of power. Only time the UPS is useful is if your battery is running low and you are no where near the charging port or forgot to carry one with you, and you need that in case of emergency.

Even without using any power saving mode, I unplug my phone in the morning around 7 am. By the end day, it's around 70% before I plug it in to charge. So really, I don't need the UPS and I would rarely use this mode.
    The recommendation was to use UPS when NOT using the phone at all. I can't see the phone draining the battery when the user is SLEEPING.

By the way, these threads on all the various ways of APPROACHING UPS numbers in the dozens. Thus, I add to each of them the UPS recommendation. Hopefully, some will catch on to a big secret: most of us sleep 6 to 10 hours each day and do NOT need an active smart phone during those hours.

Plus, there are many places where we are busy (working) and an active smart phone would be a distraction. In those cases UPS would also be the best bet.

Finally, while working during the day, UPS mode does allow one to send and receive text messages in black and white. That still allows one to focus most of the time on one's JOB or business and not be distracted by the dozens of addictive apps available without UPS being active.
    goggy59 and mezrik like this.

[SIZE=3]
    Just wanted to point out- you don't need an app to toggle this. There is a toggle to turn off mobile data in the menu when you swipe down with both fingers (at least on the Verizon version).

Quote Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
    The recommendation was to use UPS when NOT using the phone at all. I can't see the phone draining the battery when the user is SLEEPING.

By the way, these threads on all the various ways of APPROACHING UPS numbers in the dozens. Thus, I add to each of them the UPS recommendation. Hopefully, some will catch on to a big secret: most of us sleep 6 to 10 hours each day and do NOT need an active smart phone during those hours.

Plus, there are many places where we are busy (working) and an active smart phone would be a distraction. In those cases UPS would also be the best bet.

Finally, while working during the day, UPS mode does allow one to send and receive text messages in black and white. That still allows one to focus most of the time on one's JOB or business and not be distracted by the dozens of addictive apps available without UPS being active.
    Yet most of us charge the phone during the time we are asleep. Different strokes for different folks, it's up to them to whether they want to use UPS or not. For me I would NOT use UPS for my use. Even when there are times when I am busy working or what not, I can simply put the phone in Silent mode, it will not vibrate nor ring. Simply my phone would be in my pocket or out of my reach when I'm working.

Personally and IMHO, turning on UPS mode may save battery life but when you turn off UPS, I'm pretty sure it will drain the battery a bit because obviously you are turning the features back on and requires some power to turn it back on.

If you use UPS for your personal use than good for you.
    Last edited by WhiteiPadMini; 05-12-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteiPadMini View Post
    Yet most of us charge the phone during the time we are asleep. Different strokes for different folks, it's up to them to whether they want to use UPS or not. For me I would NOT use UPS for my use. Even when there are times when I am busy working or what not, I can simply put the phone in Silent mode, it will not vibrate nor ring. Simply my phone would be in my pocket or out of my reach when I'm working.

Personally and IMHO, turning on UPS mode may save battery life but when you turn off UPS, I'm pretty sure it will drain the battery a bit because obviously you are turning the features back on and requires some power to turn it back on.

If you use UPS for your personal use than good for you.

I used it the other night because I was too damn drunk to try to mes with the USB cover.....I was like...no way lol. It lost 2% in 10 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    I used it the other night because I was too damn drunk to try to mes with the USB cover.....I was like...no way lol. It lost 2% in 10 hours.
    Yes in the situation like this it is probably a good idea. Who knows when your battery would die. But like I said, it's all personal preference.