Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jon Jackson
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Memory space on Galaxy S5

With the S5 being capable of expandable memory, up to 128GB with an SD card, why is it so important to get 32gb instead of 16gb on the phone itself? I am really curious about this as I used the S3,S4, and now the S5 all with 16GB and never have had an issue.

Default Re: Memory space

Some prefer to use internal memory, I know that there were some issues with the s4 and other devices and sd cards. Also, some may want to install a lot of large apps.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Some prefer to use internal memory, I know that there were some issues with the s4 and other devices and sd cards. Also, some may want to install a lot of large apps.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Cant you put the apps on your sd card as well. I have most of mine moved over.

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayrguy View Post
    Cant you put the apps on your sd card as well. I have most of mine moved over.
    Yep. I moved everything I could over to the SD card. Phones using the Android system don't really need a lot of internal memory to work well.
    debdroid1a likes this.

I play games on my tablet, but a lot of people do everything on their phone. With many games running over 1GB, that 16GB (11GB free) fills up really quick, even if you have a 128GB SD card.

can someone please help......i use amazon mp3 on my s5 , i purchased a sd card to transfer my libary from my internal memory to it , i figured out how to do that but is there any way i can set it up so that the music i download goes straight to the sd card? also is there any benifit to transfering apps to the sd card?

Extra memory given you save many datas that's simple. If you have more memory u can save important softwares more .
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    I play games on my tablet, but a lot of people do everything on their phone. With many games running over 1GB, that 16GB (11GB free) fills up really quick, even if you have a 128GB SD card.
    You have 128 games downloaded?

What I was getting at is that the size of your SD card is immaterial if you have a bunch of games that require 1 gb of internal storage.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Ahhhhh, I got ya. I was unaware that some games required internal storage over the sd card.

I didn't even know it came in a 32 and 64GB version! I looked at the Verizon website when ordering mine and they just had the 16 (and still do). I just chatted with a Verizon rep. I'm good with 16 tho. I'm not a gamer and my photos and music can go on my external card (32gb). However, when I bought my Note 10.1 2014, I upgraded to the 32GB version. I first bought the 16 only to find out that Samsung limits what kind of licensed material you can put on the external card. And now with the update to KitKat, Google has restricted access to the external even more so I'm glad I exchanged it for a 32. I lucked out and got the 32 for $10 LESS than the 16gb version So while I feel (for me) it was important for my tablet to have the more space, I'm not concerned about my phone having more.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    I didn't even know it came in a 32 and 64GB version! I looked at the Verizon website when ordering mine and they just had the 16 (and still do). I just chatted with a Verizon rep. I'm good with 16 tho. I'm not a gamer and my photos and music can go on my external card (32gb). However, when I bought my Note 10.1 2014, I upgraded to the 32GB version. I first bought the 16 only to find out that Samsung limits what kind of licensed material you can put on the external card. And now with the update to KitKat, Google has restricted access to the external even more so I'm glad I exchanged it for a 32. I lucked out and got the 32 for $10 LESS than the 16gb version So while I feel (for me) it was important for my tablet to have the more space, I'm not concerned about my phone having more.
    Right now there is not a larger one available. That is what is keeping some from purchasing this phone. However I think you would be amazed at how much room you really don't need.

ya the set memory is given so why the company gives the customer to get 32gb sd card

Default Re: Memory space on Galaxy S5

I've been on the fence over the S5 and the HTC One. I'm leaning towards the S5 because of the camera but the HTC One has 32gb of ram (with Verizon).

I know people will say you can move your apps to the SD card but my understanding is NOT ALL apps can be moved it's up to the app itself.

My further gripe is how much BLOATware Verizon put's on the phone. Someone mentions 11gb usable of your 16. When I looked at both the S5 and HTC One at the Verizon store I found you actually get less then half of the advertised ram installed.

I would probably go ahead and get the 16gig if I could remove all of verizon's BS from the phone and keep everything else as is. This is the main reason I'd like to have the S5 with 32gb. I have the incredible 2 right now (almost 2 years old) and am tired of Verizon updating their apps that end up with errors of being out of room I end up having room for maybe 5 apps at most I'm plain tired of them dictating what is on the phone 10+ apps on there I'd never use.

If you transfer your data to the sd card then you should have a decent amount of memory left. I have a 64gb Samsung pro 90/mps download speeds with like 32gb of movies and mostly apps. The important apps you keep to the phone and you'll have enough ram left extra to keep things smooth.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmoofy View Post
    I've been on the fence over the S5 and the HTC One. I'm leaning towards the S5 because of the camera but the HTC One has 32gb of ram (with Verizon).

I know people will say you can move your apps to the SD card but my understanding is NOT ALL apps can be moved it's up to the app itself.

My further gripe is how much BLOATware Verizon put's on the phone. Someone mentions 11gb usable of your 16. When I looked at both the S5 and HTC One at the Verizon store I found you actually get less then half of the advertised ram installed.

I would probably go ahead and get the 16gig if I could remove all of verizon's BS from the phone and keep everything else as is. This is the main reason I'd like to have the S5 with 32gb. I have the incredible 2 right now (almost 2 years old) and am tired of Verizon updating their apps that end up with errors of being out of room I end up having room for maybe 5 apps at most I'm plain tired of them dictating what is on the phone 10+ apps on there I'd never use.
    Meant to reply to this. Whoops

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app