For those on verizon... Data plan questions.

justicedealt

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Okay, so I have been seeing a few posts around where people got a new phone and got to keep their unlimited data plan?! I was told there is no way possible for that to have been done, so I had to get on the new shared plan when I got my phone. If someone here was able to keep their old plan, PLEASE tell us how you did it, and what they did. I ask this with such passion because they told me at the store that if I could tell them how it was done, they would be more than happy to accommodate me. So, ANYONE!?

Thanks guys!!!

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Okay, so I have been seeing a few posts around where people got a new phone and got to keep their unlimited data plan?! I was told there is no way possible for that to have been done, so I had to get on the new shared plan when I got my phone. If someone here was able to keep their old plan, PLEASE tell us how you did it, and what they did. I ask this with such passion because they told me at the store that if I could tell them how it was done, they would be more than happy to accommodate me. So, ANYONE!?

Thanks guys!!!

Wait, the Verizon employees asked YOU how to do this?

LdotAdot13

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
For one most employees don't have a clue. If you pay full retail they don't touch your plan and you can stay unlimited. You can also do the monthly fee (forgot the actual name) where the full retail price is paid over a 12 month period. I did that for the S4. It cost 57$ a month including a 2$ finance fee. I was able to keep my unlimited. I purchased the S5 full retail and still have my unlimited.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

tdi1985

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about being able to keep unlimited data, but I can confirm the Verizon Max plan still exists, as I went to it with my upgrade this last weekend. Very well worth it for someone on an individual plan. Instead of going to 2 GB for $30, or More Everything (which would be insane for an individual plan person), you get 6 GB for the $30!
Unless you find a way to trick the system, and given if you want to upgrade for a cheaper price - this is the best option in my opinion.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
From what I read you have to go to a corporate store and specifically ask for the max. I went into Verizon to get my account number to switch to t mobile for unlimited without paying more, and the Verizon manager only offered me 2gb of data. My last bill showed 5gb used for the month.

If I could have afforded it, I world have stayed with Verizon, but can't and t mobile works in my area.

To the OP, you can also try to find a phone you want in some auction site. Some have done that. Probably not an S5 since it's so new, but other phones for decent price.

Posted via Android Central App

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Six gigabytes oh my. That's a good price compared to Sprint 'media device and hot spot' plans, but I have all unlimited everything on my phone for about $50 including tax and fees. My total bill was $85 for a phone and a tablet including installments and insurance ~~ Speeds are good here and I can do badman things like pull torrents on phone then OTG to the tablet or a storage device.

I haven't gone over 5GB in a day yet but I been trying to stress this thing a bit.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I buy my phones from swappa.com. I usually pay less than VZW and no tax. I switch them myself and all is well. I have also purchase phones from EBAY just be cautious and check out the EBAY seller well. Swappa.com is the easiest in my opinion. Don't deal with VZW unless it is a last resort, those people are idiots.

tdi1985

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
From what I read you have to go to a corporate store and specifically ask for the max. I went into Verizon to get my account number to switch to t mobile for unlimited without paying more, and the Verizon manager only offered me 2gb of data. My last bill showed 5gb used for the month.

I used my upgrade at Best Buy, in order to get the $50 gift card (which the Best Buy Customer Service person applied to the purchase of my phone, don't think they were supposed to, but I ended up getting my S5 for $50!). The key was calling a Verizon Rep over the phone first. The VZW Rep said for the Best Buy person to process the upgrade which would force me to a 2 GB plan, then she would go in and correct it and put me on the 6 GB plan. Worked very smoothly, stayed on the phone for everything. Did have my VZW Rep call the Best Buy store so that I didn't lose her when the phone got deactivated. At any rate, if you're in the 4-5 GB a month range like me, this is an acceptable option.

tsumma

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I purchased my galaxy s5 through the BestBuy website a couple weeks ago for the two yr price of 199 and got to keep my unlimited data plan there is a glitch in their site that allows you to keep your existing plan

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

RFclipse

May 27, 2013
Visit site
If you're on a family plan, there is a work around. You will need to give up unlimited data on one of your lines, but all others can keep it. You simply transfer your upgrade to that line which is already on the tiered plan, get the new device with promotional pricing, then immediately transfer it to the line which still had the grandfathered unlimited data.

My wife and I are on a family plan. She's at home on WiFi most of the time, so 2GB is more than enough for her. I travel and tether often, so i chose to keep unlimited data when I upgraded last month.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Six gigabytes oh my. That's a good price compared to Sprint 'media device and hot spot' plans, but I have all unlimited everything on my phone for about $50 including tax and fees. My total bill was $85 for a phone and a tablet including installments and insurance ~~ Speeds are good here and I can do badman things like pull torrents on phone then OTG to the tablet or a storage device.

I haven't gone over 5GB in a day yet but I been trying to stress this thing a bit.

Depends on what you do. I have used 16gb an hour before.

As for the op's question, there are ways to keep unlimited, head on over to the Verizon Forums or check my signature.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As others have said if you pay full retail.. You keep it. :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Schoondog

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to get the max plan after they have already busted you down to a share plan? I upgraded all my phones may 18th. 2 of them were previously unlimited data plans, 2 were 2 gig and one was a non smart phone. I did the edge program for 5 S5 phones. Would love to be able to have more days for same money.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to get the max plan after they have already busted you down to a share plan? I upgraded all my phones may 18th. 2 of them were previously unlimited data plans, 2 were 2 gig and one was a non smart phone. I did the edge program for 5 S5 phones. Would love to be able to have more days for same money.

You can call and ask but most likely they will make you return the phones (paying restocking fee). This will allow you to revert to the old plan. Then you can call in or go to the store and ask for it.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks