Ultra Power saving mode is a SCAM, or my phone is just faulty...

stonedcl

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello this is my first post and I would like to say hello. Long time apple user that has switched over and I do love the phone with a few flaws. 1st is my battery , one night I had my phone charged 100% at 11PM and put it in ultra power saving mode overnight and woke up and the battery was at 41% so I called AT@T and they sent me a new battery and everything seemed to be going well, battery was ok lasted all day but last night again I charged it 100% and put it in UPSM and this morning 9 hours later my phone was COMPLETELY DEAD.. DOA... I thought something was wrong and UPSM shut it down but when I pluged it in to charge it was at 0% so UPSM had my phone last less then 9 hours!!
When I put it in UPSM it said it would last 11 days and it did not even last 11 hours!!..
Can someone put there phone in UPSM and see how quick it drains the battery to see if it is a issue with all phones or just mine!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Check the battery stats... Are they showing anything? As to what is eating your battery?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello this is my first post and I would like to say hello. Long time apple user that has switched over and I do love the phone with a few flaws. 1st is my battery , one night I had my phone charged 100% at 11PM and put it in ultra power saving mode overnight and woke up and the battery was at 41% so I called AT@T and they sent me a new battery and everything seemed to be going well, battery was ok lasted all day but last night again I charged it 100% and put it in UPSM and this morning 9 hours later my phone was COMPLETELY DEAD.. DOA... I thought something was wrong and UPSM shut it down but when I pluged it in to charge it was at 0% so UPSM had my phone last less then 9 hours!!
When I put it in UPSM it said it would last 11 days and it did not even last 11 hours!!..
Can someone put there phone in UPSM and see how quick it drains the battery to see if it is a issue with all phones or just mine!

I was too drunk the other night to even try to mess with the USB port flap......so I put it in UPSM around midnight and 10 hours later it had dropped 2% and said I had 10 hours left. So it works well for me.

stonedcl

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Before I put the phone in UPSM I closed out all my apps. When AT@T hacked into my phone and they said everything was running fine .. I am not a pro yet but when I click battery now it says phone 91% android system 3% call standby 2% Device idle 2% and android OS 2%

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Before I put the phone in UPSM I closed out all my apps. When AT@T hacked into my phone and they said everything was running fine .. I am not a pro yet but when I click battery now it says phone 91% android system 3% call standby 2% Device idle 2% and android OS 2%

I will put mine into UPSM tonight and report back tomorrow.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Almost sounds like the phone portion is not going to sleep. If that is the case, UPSM would not stop that because that is one of the 6 permitted operations to be running in that mode. Maybe turn phone off and do a battery pull, then straight into UPSM?

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Go to your Google Drive icon, tap the left top corner, go to settings and make sure you have checked off that file transfers and updates are only done with WiFi and suspended when WiFi is not detected or turned off.

I get 4 to 6 days of battery life using UPSM at night and when I am not using the phone with screen time from 3 to 5 hours.

Do you have any battery monitoring apps installed other than the Usage Monitor? Some of them may run in the background and avoid being shut down by UPSM.

stonedcl

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I do not have the google play application in in my apps but if I go to settings it is in my app manager (looks like a puzzle piece)
When I tap it it says force stop uninstall updates and turn off under it , then manage storage and clear cache under it.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Phone 91% is INSANE. Your device was acting like it was in a call *all the time*. I hope you don't have some app that tries to run up your bill on 900 numbers while the device is sleeping.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I do not have the google play application in in my apps but if I go to settings it is in my app manager (looks like a puzzle piece)
When I tap it it says force stop uninstall updates and turn off under it , then manage storage and clear cache under it.

Sort your all apps menu by name, there should be an icon labeled Play. If that is gone your phone is either half broken or possibly infected. Similarly the other app is named Drive and has a triangular multi colored icon on most devices?

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

That's Google play services. It's not supposed to be in the app drawer. I'm thinking the other app in question (besides drive, which should be pre-installed as the device is certified) is the play store but I'm not entirely sure there.
The main problem here is your phone app. It's using 91% of battery usage. I'm also not sure how new you are to android but for your information the percentage used indicated in settings>battery is the percentage of percentage consumed(eg 100-currentBatteryLevel) sorry for the camel casing there bad habit I slip into on occasion.

stonedcl

May 13, 2014
Visit site
i fully charged it as soon as it died then read the battery life to you guys.
i do not have the google play app in the apps but do have the drive app..
if i go into setting then i see the app in there..
I am sorry but i am very new to android (1 weeK)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
From what you said about the Batt report, the Phone app is taking up all the juice at night. Before doing anything, call ATT and make sure you don't have any runaway calls raking up your bill. If you do, then something you installed is doing a very nasty thing at night. If not, we can try a couple things before sending the phone back to ATT for replacement (not just the battery).

1) Go into your Applications Manager. Scroll to the "All" tab. Find the "Phone" app. In there, clear Cache. Reboot.
2) If that didn't work, the next step would be to do a factory reset on your phone, but this would mean you'd lose all data and would have to re-install your apps and backup your files.

If neither of these work, I'm afraid you have a defective unit and should ask for a warranty replacement ASAP.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
i fully charged it as soon as it died then read the battery life to you guys.
i do not have the google play app in the apps but do have the drive app..
if i go into setting then i see the app in there..
I am sorry but i am very new to android (1 weeK)

Phone 91% is INSANE. Your device was acting like it was in a call *all the time*. I hope you don't have some app that tries to run up your bill on 900 numbers while the device is sleeping.

From what you said about the Batt report, the Phone app is taking up all the juice at night. Before doing anything, call ATT and make sure you don't have any runaway calls raking up your bill. If you do, then something you installed is doing a very nasty thing at night. If not, we can try a couple things before sending the phone back to ATT for replacement (not just the battery).

His stats were fine. He charged full.. Used it a tad.. Then showed the stats (read the bold in his quote). Therefore it has less than an hour of stats and the biggest drain was him using it as a phone. Battery stats will always look skewed and messed up if you look at them when the phone is basically just charged.. They are meant for when the phone is low so you can see what was used over the course of the battery.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.