S5 continues to drop back to 3g

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
As of a few days ago, my S5 won't hold a 4g LTE connection for longer than a few minutes. (It worked perfectly fine for several weeks prior to few days ago). The only thing I can think of that I did was do a Verizon roaming profile update (or at least try to since until reading other forums I didn't realize I don't need to do the *228 updates anymore since handled now by 4g sim card). Could me doing the *228 update cause my current problems not holding a 4g connection? I have a support ticket in with Verizon also (and they can actually see my 3g usage going way up vs. 4g since few days ago), but I figured I would check with my usual forum experts in the mean time as well.

Just a note when I power off my phone and turn it back on, I do initially connect to strong 4g LTE signal - but it only lasts for a few minutes before falling back to 3g. I have also removed and reseat my sim card with no luck via that approach. Thanks for any guidance!

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Still a problem, but good news is my battery is lasting longer..... But need to get my 4g speed back.

Nick Brennan

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
This is happening to me and quite a few others on the Sprint network. There is no ETA for a fix. To be honest I don't want to use this phone on 3g. Called me spoiled or whatever but the phone, in my opinion, is pretty crippled on it.

I hope they find a fix for what is causing all the disconnects, but paying 650 for a 3g phone isn't worth it to me.

See what happens. :-\

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
This is happening to me and quite a few others on the Sprint network. There is no ETA for a fix. To be honest I don't want to use this phone on 3g. Called me spoiled or whatever but the phone, in my opinion, is pretty crippled on it.

I hope they find a fix for what is causing all the disconnects, but paying 650 for a 3g phone isn't worth it to me.

I agree that it's not right only getting 3g with such an awesome phone otherwise. Hopefully Samsung figures out if this is a carrier issue or a phone issue and get it fixed quickly.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

I'm with Sprint and have no problems. When not on wifi I would say its on LTE 95% of the time. There's one or two areas within a 50 mile radius where it drops to 3g. I'm getting at least 15-20mbps

djjeffa

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
My sprint dose this too I toggle airplain mode on and off and it works but they need a fix asap.

Sent from my Galaxy 3 Tab with Tapatalk.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Sprint too and I have to toggle airplane mode almost on a daily deal to get 4g working.

It needs fixed

Sent from my SM-G900P using AC Forums mobile app

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I've tried toggling airplane mode also and it does work initially, but still only holds 4g connection for a few minutes. I'm in a very strong 4g area and used to get great connectivity until about a week ago. Just can't figure out what changed. Wonder if my sim card could be bad? Or I'm still wondering about whether me updating my roaming profile via *228 could have triggered the problem on Verizon network.

winnersmw

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my S5 on Verizon. It seems to happen most when I'm traveling in the car. Toggling airplane mode works for a few minutes as was stated here already. I'm bringing it back to the store tomorrow and making them give me a new one.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is a Sprint tri-band phone issue. Their phones can't do the handoffs very well... Airplane mode toggle is the work around but yeah that is annoying.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

sel1965

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I was having the same issue as well with my S5. Samsung kept saying it's the network Sprint said it was the phone. Now from what I'm hearing Samsung is going to send an update to correct this issue, it does have something to do with the phone. I switched my S5 for the M8 and have not had the issue since. So I tend to believe it is the phone that has the issue. I am on LTE with my M8 95% of the time and love it.

Exxlee

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm also having this issue with my SM-G900W8. I'm on Virgin Mobile in Canada and I'll get LTE in my area for about 5 mins. It will then proceed to drop down to 2 bars of LTE and kick itself back down to HSPA+. Done all the normal stuff like a Sim swap and factory resets. Only thing I'm able to do is go into the wireless and networks settings and manually put it down to WCDMA. Hopefully this is just a quick software patch.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
It is a Sprint tri-band phone issue. Their phones can't do the handoffs very well... Airplane mode toggle is the work around but yeah that is annoying.

It's not everyone with sprint though, my LTE is steady and I'm with sprint.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not everyone with sprint though, my LTE is steady and I'm with sprint.

But you said you have LTE pretty much everywhere you go right? The issue is people who are on LTE but travel to a weaker LTE area (or non LTE area) then drop to 3g. After that the phone won't jump back to LTE after they leave the bad area (even if a good LTE signal is around) without the toggle.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
But you said you have LTE pretty much everywhere you go right? The issue is people who are on LTE but travel to a weaker LTE area (or non LTE area) then drop to 3g. After that the phone won't jump back to LTE after they leave the bad area (even if a good LTE signal is around) without the toggle.

Ahhhh I see. I'm in Dallas which is a pretty big city, there's an area or two where mine drops to 3g but then jumps back on to LTE when it is available. My point was that I don't think it is a carrier problem.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Almeuit just spoke the main reason why I am leaving Sprint. Toggling airplane mode at random intervals throughout the day is not on my list of things I like doing.
At first, I was patient. But when the problem persisted after 4 months I had enough. I was having this problem on my Moto X, and my Nexus 5.

However, to the OP: From what I understand, the phone would have made that update anyway. You just hurried things along.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhhh I see. I'm in Dallas which is a pretty big city, there's an area or two where mine drops to 3g but then jumps back on to LTE when it is available. My point was that I don't think it is a carrier problem.

I am highly inclined to think it is. I had the same Sprint problem on 2 different phones. Moto X and Nexus 5.

winnersmw

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
It isn't just a Sprint issue. I'm having the same problem on Verizon as well. They're sending me a replacement S5 due to the combination of issues I'm having.

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
It isn't just a Sprint issue. I'm having the same problem on Verizon as well. They're sending me a replacement S5 due to the combination of issues I'm having.

I'm on Verizon also, so will be interested if your replacement S5 solves the problem. Good luck.

Ryan Sonner

May 19, 2014
Visit site
So I've Written this out a Hundred times but it's something. Called CSFB. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...EXGUJTfy_7IiOA that's a link to a PDF fro. Qualcomm discussing Future Network envision and discusses the problem of CSFB. And Here is another PDF from a Consulting Firm that was employed to access the situiation of the network enhancments for all carriers in Us, and their determination of warning the Carriers CSFB was ... Well... ****ty.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...wckPqhlge71-X4AHQ&sig2=BI4o0KoaZrAZv-q8muZ0gQ

So, hope that helps u understand situation. Best I can say is Ride it out till your Carrier works out a deal the the Incumbent provider of your region to offer Csfb. Or the tech gets upgraded by either Tower CSFB, VOLTE. Or Private in home Femtocells. Cheers!