Samsung Galaxy S5 bluetooth issue

lmarano21

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm having trouble with my bluetooth connection in my car. Whenever i connect my galaxy S5 it disconnects in the middle of a call or song then immediately re-connects and then disconnects and repeats over and over again. I know it's not the car because i never had this problem in the past with my galaxy s4 active or my iphone 5. I tried un-pairing it and then re-pairing it but its still doing the same thing. It's really frustrating. Anyone having the same issue? Any ideas on what it might be whether its the phone itself or the KitKat OS?

mikea3000

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the same exact issue. Its so annoying. I have a 2013 Lexus GS350, what about you? I also have noticed that bluetooth eats so much more battery now. When I had my s4, before 4.4.2, bluetooth barely used and battery after 4.4.2. as long as my phone was connected to BT, it would eat the battery like crazy. Same issue with the S5

fleckrj

May 12, 2014
Visit site
When you connected for the first time, there was a pop-up message on your phone asking for your permission to allow the connection. Unless you clicked on the box to always allow or to not ask again (I cannot remember how it is worded), you will get this problem. The car will try to connect to the phone. The phone will ask your permission, but for some reason, the connection happens until the prompt on the phone times out, then the phone disconnects. When the phone disconnects, the car initiates a reconnect, and the cycle keeps repeating.

fleckrj

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the same exact issue. Its so annoying. I have a 2013 Lexus GS350, what about you? I also have noticed that bluetooth eats so much more battery now. When I had my s4, before 4.4.2, bluetooth barely used and battery after 4.4.2. as long as my phone was connected to BT, it would eat the battery like crazy. Same issue with the S5

My wife's car is a 2013 Lexus GS350, and there is no problem connecting to it as long as you tell the phone to always allow the connection when it prompts you.

lmarano21

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a 2013 Lexus ES350. It actually started happening on my s4 active when i updated to kitkat from jellybean. I didn't really notice it with that phone bc i got the s5 a couple of days after i updated which leads me to believe that its the OS that's the problem. But now that you said that you have a Lexus also maybe the problem is with the cars bluetooth.

lmarano21

May 14, 2014
Visit site
OK i did some tests. First I tried clicking "no" when the phone asked me to transfer my contacts and messages to the car and i had no problems. the bluetooth didn't cut out once. The only problem with doing that was my contacts do not show on the car screen. When someone called me their number came up but not their name. Also bc i didn't transfer my contacts obviously i couldn't make a call through the car without choosing the person on my phone first. So then i tried clicking "yes" in both boxes but i didn't click the "never ask me again" box. When i did that the phone stayed connected but it kept asking me over and over again to transfer the contacts and messages. So i tried one last thing. I allowed the car to transfer my contacts but said no when it asked me to transfer the messages. I clicked the boxes to "never ask again" and drove to work which takes about 15 min and it worked. It did not disconnect at all. So maybe I found the problem. There might be a glitch in the messaging transfer which makes the connection recycle. If you want to give it a try and let me know if it worked for you too. I'll also keep you updated to see if anything changes on my end. However this doesn't answer the million dollar question of is it a phone, car, or OS problem.

joehp1

May 8, 2012
Visit site
For what it is worth: I also have the 2013 GS and have had no problems connecting and maintaining the blue tooth connection. My wife has the 2012 Lexus CT and also has had no problems using her S5.

RennieDowns

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Last week I had the same problem.
Try going into "Applications", then "Bluetooth", then clear the Bluetooth cache.
If that doesn't work, try downloading "Bluetooth Auto Connect" from the Play Store. That's the only way I could get my S3 to connect. My current S4 works fine without it, so Samsung must have changed something in the Bluetooth stack. Hopefully, they didn't mess with it on the S5.

mikea3000

May 18, 2010
Visit site
OMG...this did the trick...thanks a million. My phone stays connceted to my car and the battery drain while using BT is now gone. There is obviously a bug in 4.4.2 and how it reads SMS/Message data via BT, or our cars (lexus) are no longer fully compatiable with 4.4.2.

Relieved its not a hardware issue.

2random

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks lmarano21... I had tried everything; gone thru Sprint's technical support at the store and they ran tests, tried numerous things myself (I have a 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE) and would get the same issue of the S5 initially connecting and transferring fine, but would then disconnect and reconnect repeatedly. The messaging function worked initially, but I purchased my phone on May 30th and I think there may have been another update around June 1st since that is when it stopped working. But repairing and not having it transfer the messages did work and is fine for now since that feature hadn't worked after the first day anyway. Too bad because I was really looking forward to utilizing that feature with the new phone. My old phone (EVO 4G LTE) did everything else except for the messages. Hopefully they come out with a fix and we can eventually use that feature again. But thanks for the workaround- it was getting really annoying!

tartandisco

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I just acquired a new S5, and when I tried to pair it with my Kia Soul using Bluetooth, the car could not see the phone and vice versa.I spoke to Samsung support in the UK, and after a long period of consultation and unsuccessful attempts to get my phone to enter car mode, the support person told me that there is an issue with Bluetooth support on the S5, that a patch is underway, but she had no information on the timescale. If it is really true that the S5 has significant problems with Bluetooth, I really think that Samsung should have told us!

CamilleL

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue. I just purchased a 2014 Lexus ES350. My galaxy S5 doesn't seem to work at all with the car. I can't download my contacts, can't get any messages and it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every few minutes - it's making me crazy! I've spent countless hours at the dealership and on the phone with Verizon. Noone seems to have an answer. I'm a real estate agent so I work from my phone and my car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JerryL356

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Maybe this will help some people. I have a 2014 GS350 and an SG4 that would connect and disconnect. I had a SG3 that connected with no problem. I backed up the emails and messages on the SG3 to my backup app and restored that backup to my SG4. I looked at the phone screen and noticed the message button would grey out and I would lose the bluetooth connection. I figured the issue was with my backed up messages. I deleted all the text messages on the phone and now it stays connected

Tina Solis

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
The same thing is happening to me and I have a 2013 Nissan Altima. My s4 NEVER did this. It is very annoying. It has even happened while connected to my Jambox but not nearly as much.

Alamir Alsakka

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I got the same problem. My phone keeps disconnecting after 15 seconds. I got 2012 BMW X6. My iPhone did not have any problems. I regret switching to Samsung S5. I called at&t customer service so many times. they replaced my phone with 3 other phones. They all got the same problem. Finally, I filled a complaint with FCC for a full refund on a defective phone. I advice you all to file a complaint with FCC against the carrier you are with for a full refund so the carriers and samsung acknowledge the problem and stop screwing us over and over again with defective products and services.

Mindy013

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
When I first bought my S5 it connected to my 2014 KIA Soul no problem but when I came back from vacation on the weekend Aug 16th 2014 my phone was paired to the car but wouldn't allow me to make calls using the handsfree on the steering wheel even though my contact list is there. I have to scroll through my contact list on the phone dial on the screen and it will allow me to connect that way. It is only my phone as I had a worker from the KIA company connect his today and it work with the hands free feature on the steering wheel. I am very frustrated at this time!!!! Thank you for letting me know there is a problem. I am going to call the Bell company tomorrow and ask about that patch to fix the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463