Wireless on the S5

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm brand new to smart phones, but am an intermediate PC user for years and have done my own home networking and all.

So I just got my first smart phone, the S5! ( previously only had a simple cell phone )

This thing is gorgeous! Takes some nice photos too! LOVE the front and back cameras, for selfies of my bird when we go for walks!

Been using it for a few days and love what I've figured out so far.

So I set it up to connect to my home wifi, hoping I can transfer files that way, instead of having to use the USB cable in two places ( near my purse and at my PC ). But I don't see how to "see" the connection in My Computer on my Windows 7 PC, so I can transfer the files. Am I doing this right? It says the connection is set up fine and connected, on the phone.

Lucy enjoying the sunshine 5-14-14.jpg

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I find BT is easier but you can try WiFi direct just go to file browser or gallery select the files and then use the share icon and select method BT/Wifi/drop box etc depending if you have other apps or cloud accounts

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Until I learn more, I need to use direct transfer. For example, I use Servant Salamander on my PC, which is a modernized 2 panel replacement for the old Norton Commander file panels. I can ftp things up to my ISP for my website changes. I can even go to CoffeeCup's S-Drive. So I was hoping there was a way to see the S5 from my PC's Windows 7 "My Computer", at least, so I could move files back and forth to the S5. It just requires being able to see the S5 directories from my PC, which I thought was the whole point of connecting to my home WiFi?

winnersmw

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Until I learn more, I need to use direct transfer. For example, I use Servant Salamander on my PC, which is a modernized 2 panel replacement for the old Norton Commander file panels. I can ftp things up to my ISP for my website changes. I can even go to CoffeeCup's S-Drive. So I was hoping there was a way to see the S5 from my PC's Windows 7 "My Computer", at least, so I could move files back and forth to the S5. It just requires being able to see the S5 directories from my PC, which I thought was the whole point of connecting to my home WiFi?

The point of connecting to your home wifi is so that data usage on your phone goes through your home network instead of your carrier's network. You mentioned that you use FTP for your ISP data storage; you can do the same with your smartphone as well. Download an FTP server app like this one, for instance, configure it, and then use your FTP client on your PC to connect to it.

If you'd like to access your phone through My Computer, you just need to map the FTP server as a network drive. Here's a guide for that on windows 7.

P.S., If you're only looking to access your phone's pictures on your PC, I personally use Google+ Photo Backup for that. You can configure it by going on your phone to Apps > Google+ > Menu > Settings > Auto Backup. Make sure to backup "only when there is a Wi-Fi connection available" if you're on a limited data plan. To access your backed-up photos, go to http://plus.google.com/photos

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'll try to figure all this out. :)

I took the 240 megs a month data plan, to keep the cost down, so will have to find out how to use this without using their bandwidth at all. :)

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm so clueless with this, I don't even know how to search for apps from my phone, and download them. :) I also need to be careful, I guess, that sites don't charge me for downloading free apps like that one.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm brand new to smart phones, but am an intermediate PC user for years and have done my own home networking and all.

So I just got my first smart phone, the S5! ( previously only had a simple cell phone )

This thing is gorgeous! Takes some nice photos too! LOVE the front and back cameras, for selfies of my bird when we go for walks!

Been using it for a few days and love what I've figured out so far.

So I set it up to connect to my home wifi, hoping I can transfer files that way, instead of having to use the USB cable in two places ( near my purse and at my PC ). But I don't see how to "see" the connection in My Computer on my Windows 7 PC, so I can transfer the files. Am I doing this right? It says the connection is set up fine and connected, on the phone.

View attachment 118230

Don't know how to transfer files from phone to pc or vice versa by wireless. I would like to know myself also. But that's a beautiful bird!

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
These instructions are baffling me. I have the FTPServer app installed on my phone now, but it's asking me for a User, Pass and Port and I don't know what to put in there. Do I put the name of my home network and its password, or am I creating a new name and password that's resident on my phone, to act as an FTP address? I tried the latter and afterwards it appeared to be trying to log into my home network with it, so I'm all confused.

https://sites.google.com/site/andreasliebigapps/ftpserver/usage

Fastfwd

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
If it’s just pictures – use one of the backup sites to access maybe? Did you see the 50 gigs for two years offer from Dropbox? I thought that was one of the more notable freebies with the purchase.

I actually had to tone down my backup service sites – I had pictures trying to backup to like four different sites every time I got back on my home wifi.

Anyway, those sites are easily accessible from your home computer without having to do much setup.

winnersmw

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Those settings define what user/pass/port your client will use to connect. I just downloaded the app and got it working, but I had to change the "Allowed connections" to include the wifi network I was connected to. What looks to you like the app trying to connect to your home network is in fact the app configuring a socket and binding to your device's IP address.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Those settings define what user/pass/port your client will use to connect. I just downloaded the app and got it working, but I had to change the "Allowed connections" to include the wifi network I was connected to. What looks to you like the app trying to connect to your home network is in fact the app configuring a socket and binding to your device's IP address.

OK, so how do I see that from my PC now, to connect to it and establish it on my PC?

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey I solved it! MY screw up! I forgot that I have a dual band wireless router and both bands have the same password, so I accidentally had the S5 logging into the S5 on the 5 GHz band, BUT my PC's USB wireless dongle is only SINGLE band and logs into the 2.5 GHz band! Arghhh!

I fixed it, and can now see the S5 from my PC! Thanks guys!

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Why not just use a USB cable between the phone and your PC?

No airtime involved, transfer rate is really fast.

I take photos a lot and hate plugging it in and out all the time. ( I'm even thinking of a wireless charger, if they weren't so expensive. )

But this works fine now. :)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

tutor

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered the card that fits on top the battery for Qi charging. I love wireless charging with my Nexus 7, hopefully this will work with the G5 I just purchased yesterday.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance