Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Coming from a 32GB phone to the Galaxy S5

I really want to buy this phone but I am struggling to make 16GB work. I only have a couple games and mostly work, news, weather, etc apps. I have a 32GB phone now and I have uninstalled every app I do not regularly use and subtracted my music and photos from the useable storage and I still can't get it to fit into the 10GB useable...

How are you guys making the 10GB work?

Posted via Android Central App

Default re: Coming from a 32GB phone to the Galaxy S5

Why not just buy an SD card?

Sounds like all of the things you are using could easily be moved to an sd card. With a 16 gb card and the phone, you would have the same room. The S5 can support an SD card up to 128 GB.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Apps can't be moved to a SD card in most cases.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayrguy View Post
    Sounds like all of the things you are using could easily be moved to an sd card. With a 16 gb card and the phone, you would have the same room. The S5 can support an SD card up to 128 GB.
    What do you recommend I move? I already took out pictures, music, podcasts, etc from my calc.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyWith4Kids View Post

Huh? There's more than enough room on this phone. I could do just fine with a 1/4 of what it has. Almost all my apps, photos, vids etc are on my SD card.

Don't move apps to sd. You will have nothing but problems. Follow this.....

Internal Storage - Apps and App data
    External Storage - Multi-media and/or personal files

....If you find yourself needing more Internal space because the apps (and app data) you use are too big and filling up your internal storage space, then you DEFINITELY need a 32gb (or bigger!) phone.

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    Don't move apps to sd. You will have nothing but problems. Follow this.....

Internal Storage - Apps and App data
    External Storage - Multi-media and/or personal files

....If you find yourself needing more Internal space because the apps (and app data) you use are too big and filling up your internal storage space, then you DEFINITELY need a 32gb (or bigger!) phone.

Completely and utterly false. 90% of my apps are on my SD card and they work instantly and without lag. My phone has zero lag and performs perfectly 100% of the time without any issues.

You don't need a 32gb phone, that's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jackson View Post
    Completely and utterly false. 90% of my apps are on my SD card and they work instantly and without lag. My phone has zero lag and performs perfectly 100% of the time without any issues.

Take the sd card out of your phone and then tell me how your phone behaves! What I'm saying is that if for any reason you have a hard impact on your phone or your sd card fails, you WILL have corrupt issues with your devices because it will be searching for app data files in your sd card.

i have a note 3 32gb and am thinking about switching to S5 for the better camera since that is all i use to take pictures. i have all my music and pictures stored on a SD card. lots of you seem to forget that while yes the cheep ones will get damaged, there are water resistant and dust and shock resistant ones out there. while they will cost more they work much better and there less chance of you losing all your files and stuff. i have yet to come across a problem with my card and the apps that are on it! i just looked at what is on mine i have used only 2 gb on the apps that are on my phone i have 23 gb left! please look into better SD cards before you write them off!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by jenpossy View Post
    i have a note 3 32gb and am thinking about switching to S5 for the better camera since that is all i use to take pictures. i have all my music and pictures stored on a SD card. lots of you seem to forget that while yes the cheep ones will get damaged, there are water resistant and dust and shock resistant ones out there. while they will cost more they work much better and there less chance of you losing all your files and stuff. i have yet to come across a problem with my card and the apps that are on it! i just looked at what is on mine i have used only 2 gb on the apps that are on my phone i have 23 gb left! please look into better SD cards before you write them off!
    Which one are you using?

I thought I would need 32GB as well. After waiting a few weeks I finally gave in and bought the 16. To my surprise I still have 5GB left of internal after moving everything to my sd. Very pleased so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coming from a 32GB phone to the Galaxy S5-1400167740276.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by LdotAdot13 View Post
    I thought I would need 32GB as well. After waiting a few weeks I finally gave in and bought the 16. To my surprise I still have 5GB left of internal after moving everything to my sd. Very pleased so far.
    Holy Cow! You have your pictures and video on your internal storage? WHY?!?!?! Just think of the space you would have if that was moved....

Coming from a 32GB phone to the Galaxy S5-screenshot_2014-05-15-10-35-08.jpg

Yeah I word not even consider the s5 without 32 GB of internal storage. I see the SD card as a augmentation of the storage, not a replacement for internal storage.

Sent from my Moto X!
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    Yeah I word not even consider the s5 without 32 GB of internal storage. I see the SD card as a augmentation of the storage, not a replacement for internal storage.

Sent from my Moto X!
    Why? There's no difference in 8GB, 10GB, 500GB, a Terabyte unless you use it. A 32GB S5 isn't going to run any better than my phone, I have more internal storage than I will ever use.

i have the Sandisk Ultra 64gb. i was on there site to make sure what i said was true and it is. it is waterproof, dust proof, and shock proof! but did cost a pretty penny $65 Canadian. but i haven't have any trouble with it at all.. and if my phone goes in water at least my pictures and music and videos are safe!

Holy Cow! You have your pictures and video on your internal storage? WHY?!?!?! Just think of the space you would have if that was moved....
    They are on my sd card not internal.

I really want to buy this phone but I am struggling to make 16GB work. I only have a couple games and mostly work, news, weather, etc apps. I have a 32GB phone now and I have uninstalled every app I do not regularly use and subtracted my music and photos from the useable storage and I still can't get it to fit into the 10GB useable...

How are you guys making the 10GB work?

Depending on some apps, they can be moved to the SD card. But it's not recommended, because it may load slower. In general, SD card is ideal to store music, pics and video. Otherwise, keep the apps on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by PainFX View Post
    Depending on some apps, they can be moved to the SD card. But it's not recommended, because it may load slower. In general, SD card is ideal to store music, pics and video. Otherwise, keep the apps on the phone.
    I have a ton of apps on my SD card and they all load in the second I touch the icon, there's zero wait for loading. Maybe some people use cheap SD cards or something.

I have a ton of apps on my SD card and they all load in the second I touch the icon, there's zero wait for loading. Maybe some people use cheap SD cards or something.
    I haven't tried it, but i'm basing it on an article i read. Dont remember the site though.

Why? There's no difference in 8GB, 10GB, 500GB, a Terabyte unless you use it. A 32GB S5 isn't going to run any better than my phone, I have more internal storage than I will ever use.
    Internal storage is much faster and more reliable that and sd card. Big difference to me. I sleep better with 20GB of space left on my internal storage as opposed to less than 10 GB...
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

Internal storage is much faster than an sd card. Put your S5 on burst mode for pictures and rattle off 10 or 20 shots...where are the pictures saved?

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    internal storage is much faster than an sd card. Put your S5 on burst mode for pictures and rattle off 10 or 20 shots...where are the pictures saved?
    It may be faster, but I can't distinguish between 1/10 of a second and 1/100 of a second. The second I touch any icon, weather, game, news etc it's there, less than a blink of an eye. I don't need it to be any faster. It's as fast as my brain can handle. I suppose some computer could analyze it and say internal is twice as fast or something but if I as a human can't tell then what does it matter?

I believe those are saved internally, I don't need 10-20 shots of the same thing.

It may be faster, but I can't distinguish between 1/10 of a second and 1/100 of a second. The second I touch any icon, weather, game, news etc it's there, less than a blink of an eye. I don't need it to be any faster. It's as fast as my brain can handle. I suppose some computer could analyze it and say internal is twice as fast or something but if I as a human can't tell then what does it matter?

I believe those are saved internally, I don't need 10-20 shots of the same thing.
    Your apps are probably loading from the RAM . Restart your phone and then select an app from the sd card and your brain will see the difference. Internal is like 5X faster. Lots of people want burst mode for pictures of kids and or pets and that lets them pick the best photo.

But getting back to the topic, I would want a minimum of 32GB of internal store and more if I could get it and do away with the sd card but that is just me. If you have lots of apps or play games, internal storage is probably preferred.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast