The Samsung Galaxy S5 official wireless charging cover

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I've very torn. Besides charging it in the car when I'm using the GPS or driving for a period of time I never plug it in until I go to bed so I'm not sure if I care to bother with the bigger back and figuring out another case since my Spigen ultra fit won't work. Then there's the worry that the charger door will break eventually -- but the wireless won't help me in the car anyway.

Here is something that may help a little. Basically an option so you can charge your phone wireless in the car also.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ss-charging-car-holder-cr-200/&token=I6kJJ__0

And I am sure there are other options out there as well.

Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I would love to have the wireless charging, but I already know it will make both cases I use useless.

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I like the neo hybrid a lot but it is hard to reach the opposite edge of the screen with my thumb, and I am prepared to go naked if they release the cover in blue so I can show it off. The advantage to the thickness is that it will make the lens flush, so I don't feel like I need a back to the case. What I really want is a super thin crystal clear bumper to just protect the chintzy chrome edges from scratches with a fall out of my pocket, but I haven't been able find anything like this.

What a bummer. I really wanted this but looks like my phone has to be naked since my Spigen neo hybrid won't fit. :'(

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I would love to have the wireless charging, but I already know it will make both cases I use useless.

If this is the case, I will risk going naked again.

I only use my Case Mate tough Sport when at work but after the toiler incident I decided to use cases again. I went through a phase after I got the hTc One M7 last year I said good bye to it.

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site

Simacca

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine for several days now. It does add extra thickness and weight, but I now find that it's more comfortable to hold. The camera is now slightly recessed so I worry less about scratching the lens. The sound is a lot less muffled when the speaker grill is covered up because of the bigger gap between the speaker and the case. These are some of the advantages I noticed. Obviously none of the protective cases will now fit and the phone looks slightly bulkier. This is my first experience with wireless charging and I'm liking it so far.

Posted via Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
go back and read my post, yes I have that item and it fits inside the OEM case

It will work with some cases, it says so in the fine print, I have a CandyShell Grip case....

no it will not charge fast, none of them do. about 700 mA is what I expect, installing it now.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, it is installed.

I have read a tip elsewhere somewhere about this charger. It said they had trouble with the contacts staying put where they belonged. They laid a piece of a business card on top of the QI charge wafer and then put the cover on over that.

So, I tore a piece of my cereal box off and cut it to size. laid that on top of the QI adapter and put the OEM cover back on.

It comes with a USB cord to plug into your a/c adapter. You must use an adapter that will supply enough current, the USB port on a computer is not good enough.

I laid the phone on the charger base and waited..... and waited....
About 45 seconds or so the red light on the charger base changed to Blue.

Then the phone beeped and displayed "Wireless Charging" for about 10 seconds and vanished.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Put the Speck CandyShell Grip case back on the phone and it is not charging now.

So, it will work with no case on the phone, but will NOT work with a case on the phone.

I guess that is why it is so cheap. It does not have sufficient field strength to reach out an addition 3/16" of an inch.

Guess I will wait and see if anyone reports on a more expensive wireless charger pads working with cases okay. The technology is good, the field strength on this unit is barely adequate though.

Pulled the case back off and going to see how long it takes for it too charge the battery to 100% from 17%.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
25 minutes and it is up to 23% battery.

At that rate it will take all night to charge the battery.

Not a problem if you are asleep for 8 hours I suppose, but I rarely sleep longer than 5 hours at a wack.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, it has been charging for about 45 minutes. It is up to 26%.
This is using a charger adapter that I got off of eBay for $2.99

I picked the phone up and looked at the menu for something. Then placed it back on the charger pad.
After a full 60 seconds it was not charging at all.

So, decided to see if the a/c adapter is the problem, I plugged the charging cable into the Samsung a/c adapter that came with the phone.

2 seconds after I laid the phone down, the red light turned blue and 1 second later the phone displayed Wireless Charging.

Lesson learned, you must have a "Known good, high output a/c charger adapter"

In the time it took to type this, the Samsung adapter has driven the battery up to 27%

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Okay, it has been charging for about 45 minutes. It is up to 26%.
This is using a charger adapter that I got off of eBay for $2.99

I picked the phone up and looked at the menu for something. Then placed it back on the charger pad.
After a full 60 seconds it was not charging at all.

So, decided to see if the a/c adapter is the problem, I plugged the charging cable into the Samsung a/c adapter that came with the phone.

2 seconds after I laid the phone down, the red light turned blue and 1 second later the phone displayed Wireless Charging.

Lesson learned, you must have a "Known good, high output a/c charger adapter"

In the time it took to type this, the Samsung adapter has driven the battery up to 27%

Could you try it again with the case on now that the output power seems to be more/sufficient?

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Oh, you can be assured that I will do that.

I take things in steps and document each step.

ie, it has been 21 minutes since the Samsung a/c adapter was put to work, and the battery is up to 35%.

Huge improvement over the el cheapo fleabay garbage a/c adapter.

I will give it one hour, that will be 9 PM CST or 40ish minutes from now.
want to get a feel for the battery % at that time.

With the Samsung a/c adapter and the USB 3.0 charging cable it takes 90 minutes from 5% to 100%.

that is the standard that I am measuring this Wireless Adapter against.

At 9 PM, the Speck CandyShell Grip case goes back on....

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, it is 2100 CSDT here in Okie land.

I put the Speck Candyshell Grip case on and laid it on the charger pad.

The phone lit up immediately and started charging again.

Oh, the battery is now up to 50% from the 26% it was at 2000 hours.

Worst case, it will be fully charged in two more hours on Wireless w/Samsung a/c adapter.

Battery Doctor claims it will be finished in 1 hr, 15 minutes.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you going to dunk it in water to see if it still retained its ip67 rating? Or spray it with flour or something for the dust test?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

f308gt4

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay, it is installed.

I have read a tip elsewhere somewhere about this charger. It said they had trouble with the contacts staying put where they belonged. They laid a piece of a business card on top of the QI charge wafer and then put the cover on over that.

I have one of these chinese charging receivers as well and also had issue with the contacts staying put. I cut a little piece of the blue painters tape and used it to hold the contacts in place. Fixed all of the issues, and charges fine.

I seem to be getting a charge rate of about 700 mah, which is much slower than the wired connection, but decent enough for my purposes.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, it is 2200 hours here and the battery is at 70%

I can feel quite a bit of heat buildup in both the charger pad and the phone itself which is now in the Speck CandyShell Grip case.

I'm guessing it is charging at approximately the 700 mAh rate which is still pretty good. Especially since there won't be any danger of breaking the USB charger port cover.

With the Wireless charger, it will be an easy thing to plop the phone down on that to keep it topped off.

So, it seems this $18.99 Qi rig is okay and safe for ya'll to order and try out.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...e=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

time will tell if it lasts long enough to be worth the price.... but it sure is a lot cheaper than Samsung's new offering, and it does not make the phone any thicker.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Fyi, some third party charging pads can get much hotter than a known quality charging pad. I bought the choetech charging pad for my note 3 and it ran way hotter and charged slower than the Nokia or lg charging pads.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The charging pad does get hotter than the S5 phone does when using the USB charge port.

There are not any ventilation vents in it at all.

Next time I use it, I will use my IR Temperature Gun and get a "known value" reading off of it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2