i have my wifi on all the time but always allow scanning is set to off....so how does the phone know the second i walk into my workplace and home wifi? does that means its constantly searching and draining battery?
    thanks
    05-16-2014 10:58 AM
    When I got my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition for Christmas, I noticed that the wifi was constantly scanning. Didn't know if that was normal and couldn't find a way to stop it. Now I see that my S5 does the same thing. I don't recall seeing this on my Razr. Last night I found the "always allow scanning" option and like you, turned it off but it didn't change the behavior of the phone constantly scanning for a wifi signal. Seems like we should be able to control that.
    05-16-2014 11:24 AM
    yeah i mean as much as i like the feature of not having to click wifi everytime im at work or home, i cant imagine this can be good on the battery life for it to know im back at these places even though i have that unchecked too....?? weird?
    05-16-2014 11:35 AM
    It's an awesome battery so what does it matter? I understand your point, we should be the ones that have control, but battery life on this phone is stellar
    05-16-2014 03:20 PM
    anyone? should i return the phone?
    05-17-2014 10:17 AM
    Why not try it?

I have both Network Notification and Always Allow Scanning uncheck/off and connects to my Wi-Fi when I get home.
    05-17-2014 10:20 AM
    I use Battery Doctor Widget to turn all of that stuff off until I need it.

that way, it is not using up battery power when you know you are miles from a WiFi point.

Once you connect to a good WiFi signal, the power required throttles back.

I am getting very good battery life of 3 to 4 days by only using what I need at the time I need it.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...ving-tips.html

In another thread, I am the 2nd poster and mention my own tuning tips, such as Battery Doctor
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...heres-how.html
    05-17-2014 10:50 AM
    Actually my biggest issue is that it doesn't switch properly to the network when I need it to.

If wi-fi is on and I am in an area where there is no wi-fi connection (that I can sign into) for whatever reason the phone won't load data on Twitter/FB/whatever using mobile. I have to manually turn off wi-fi for my S5 to start using the network.

I have smart switch on so I am not sure why it keeps trying to use Wi-fi in areas where I am not connected.
    07-07-2014 12:04 AM