VZW Unlimited data tethering working with FoxFi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farhancma9

Banned
Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, I was wondering if someone can verify that Verizon Galaxy S5 can tether data wirelessly using FoxFi without root required, I saw a video on Youtube but it doesn't have many comments verifying, so judging reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Fyi, in case you didn't know, Verizon explicitly forbids tethering on the unlimited data plan, though you can pay for the unlimited hotspot plan if desired.

yry8ysy8.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes they do forbid it and its forced extortion. Data is not a commodity, so they forbid it forcing you to pay for a more expensive plan. I suggest checking said apps reviews....but I can't confirm or deny. I'm rooted on an S4

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well I am on Verizon and FoxFi works just fine, thank you.

But, it will sometimes ask you to set a pincode. Just be aware that IF it does, make damn sure you can remember it, and write it down.

I have a tale of woe on that very scenario. I installed FoxFi and didn't realize when it asked to set a pincode that it would be used for the phone's Lockscreen. I forgot it right away.

That ended up with me entering the wrong pincode many times until the phone announced if I did it "one more time" it would reboot, erase all contents, and be OEM virgin plain vanilla again.

I did it that one more time because the phone is useless if you can't open the Lockscreen. I then rebuilt the phone to my personal taste again. That took up the whole darn weekend to fine tune it like I like it.

I highly suggest you download Samsung Kies 3.0 and make a backup of the phone periodically as you fine tune it to your liking. Somewhere one day, you will get in a bind and need that backup.

Kies | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG

RFclipse

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I can also confirm that, after the last update, FoxFi works fine on a Verizon S5 with unlimited data. As another user mentioned, you will be forced to set a password or pin lock screen (it won't let you use fingerprint pattern) the first time you use it. If you don't already use a lock screen, this can be kinda annoying. The only way to remove the lock screen is to clear credentials (Settings -> Security -> Clear Credentials). I don't use Foxfi that often, and I don't use a lock screen, so i just clear the credentials after each use and the lock screen is disabled. Not too much of a hassle for "free" tethering.

Also, if you're having a moral dilemma about doing something that Big Red doesn't condone, you can enable/disable wireless hotspot as needed using the My Verizon Mobile app and you will only be charged the pro-rated amount for the time you have it active. For example, I was travelling for 4 days last month before the Foxfi update, so i enabled hotspot for those four days only. No impact on my unlimited data plan and I was only charged $4 for my usage.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Fyi, in case you didn't know, Verizon explicitly forbids tethering on the unlimited data plan, though you can pay for the unlimited hotspot plan if desired.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/17/yry8ysy8.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I'm a bit shocked that a moderator on this site, that is built specifically for going around the rules, rooting and hacking into the devices, which is all against the carrier's policy, is raising moral concerns about using an app for tethering. For example, the S5 forum specifically has a section devoted to "hacking."

With that being said, I use the FoxFi on my S3 and it requires the same PIN. At least on that device, if you try the PIN a certain number of times incorrectly it makes you enter your gmail password and then the PIN lock disappears forever. I don't know if it is the same on the S5, but the FoxFi site makes it seem that it is the same.

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think rooting is going around the rules. My contract says nothing about rooting.

However, sharing data on an unlimited plan is stealing, by definition.

Seems straightforward to me

mjc

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm a bit shocked that a moderator on this site, that is built specifically for going around the rules, rooting and hacking into the devices, which is all against the carrier's policy, is raising moral concerns about using an app for tethering. For example, the S5 forum specifically has a section devoted to "hacking."

With that being said, I use the FoxFi on my S3 and it requires the same PIN. At least on that device, if you try the PIN a certain number of times incorrectly it makes you enter your gmail password and then the PIN lock disappears forever. I don't know if it is the same on the S5, but the FoxFi site makes it seem that it is the same.

Where do carriers say you can't root your phone?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
DATA is DATA, regardless of how I use it.

I paid for it, and it is mine to use.

I will NOT pay a tax collector for the "right to decide" how I get that data.

I used Foxfi on my Galaxy S for 3 years and will continue to do so.

Pee on carriers who try to charge exorbitant fees above what we already pay to access the internet.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well try calling technical support and telling them you've rooted your phone

That just means they won't support or help you with it... Such as if it's freezing since you could of broke something... It doesn't go against their Terms of Service for using their network.

Those are two very different things my friend ;).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to take your word for it :) But I wouldn't want to do anything (purposely) to cause them to NOT support my phone and (likely) void the warranty.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Federal courts and the Library of Congress have ruled that cellphone users have an explicit right to jailbreak/root their cellphones. They are however prohibited from unlocking the devices if the devices were purchased at a carrier-subsidized price.

Status
Not open for further replies.