05-24-2014 10:43 AM
- So what the heck is that P.O.S. that gets used when my phone is locked and I use my Bluetooth activation button on my S5? Not to offend anyone but it REALLY is terrible.
It shows "voice dialer" on the screen and says "say call, followed by a name or number" but just doesn't work worth dookie.
Is there a way to have Google do that dialing, when the phone is locked, I mean.
Thanks05-17-2014 02:14 PM
- When my phone is on Google automatically gets used and everything works fine.
It's when the phone is locked and I hit the button on the Bluetooth headset that I get the P.O.S. "voice dialer" thing.and I can't find anything in the settings that indicates what should be used with the headset.05-18-2014 07:30 AM
- +1. my car has Bluetooth, and I can open a connection to the phone's voice commands by clicking a button on the steering wheel and saying "Bluetooth....voice." similar to your clicking the button on your headset.
on my galaxy S3, this would open S Voice and let me talk to it. always. whether the phone was locked or not. on my S5, it opens this stupid "voice dialer" thing, which I can't find anywhere in apps or settings to disable.
if I open Google Now manually on the phone, it will automatically connect to the car's Bluetooth and I can talk to it. I also installed the "s for switch voice" app, which makes the home button double-click open Google Now instead of S voice. which again automatically connects to the car's Bluetooth so I can talk to it.05-20-2014 01:58 PM
- Out of the box my Verizon S5 (US) Google Now is on the home screen and I can just say OK Google on the home screen, and a touch-and-hold of the home button brings me to Google Now.
Dos the s for which voice work when the phone is locked? That'd be grand!
Thanks for replying.05-20-2014 04:17 PM
- so I found an imperfect, tedious, temporary workaround for this, but of course it breaks when the phone reboots.
1. go into settings, apps, turn off google search.
2. with the phone unlocked, press your Bluetooth device button. you should get prompted to choose what to do, probably s voice or car mode. choose s voice and always.
3. test a couple of times to verify S voice opens on Bluetooth device button click, when the device is locked and unlocked.
4. in S voice, make sure the option to start when the home button is double clicked is enabled.
5. go back into apps and enable google search.
6. hit your Bluetooth device button again with the device unlocked, which should prompt you again to choose an app. choose S Voice and Always, again.
7. install and open S for Switch Voice, click the checkmark to save the settings.
8. go to your home screen, double click the home button. s voice should open for about a second and then switch to Google now. exit.
at this point, if you click your Bluetooth device button with the phone locked, it should open S voice, which will quickly and automatically switch to Google Now and let you talk to it through Bluetooth. it's not perfect, because I can't always hear the 'ding' to tell me to start talking. but my car stereo display indicates that it's connected and i can talk. also, in my experience, doing it with the phone UNlocked was inconsistent at best: it would pretty much always open Google Now, but then not maintain the Bluetooth connection or some reason. but I figure if I have the phone unlocked, or even in my hand, I can just double-click the home button, which will open S voice, which will open Google Now, which will open the connection to my car's Bluetooth.
however, as I said, when I reboot the phone, the defaults must all switch back from S Voice to Google Search, which means pressing the Bluetooth device button with the phone unlocked immediately opens Google Now (instead of S voice to switch go Google Now) and with the phone locked, opens that #$&! terrible Voice Dialer.05-21-2014 09:35 AM
- Wow, tedious is right! Nicely done figuring that mess out, I may give it a try.
In the mean time I've gotten the finger print unlock to work pretty well with either thumb, which is about as much as I'd want to do while driving. Once the phone is on I've been good to go for the Bluetooth.
Thanks a bunch posting back.05-21-2014 09:56 AM
- well.. follow up answer. I got most of this from other posts, but some of these steps are backtracking on my previous post. also, there's a giant "but" at the end of this one, just like the last one.
Galaxy S3 Owners: Make Google Voice Actions (and now Google Now) the Default Instead of S-Voice | Standby.
1. uninstall "S For Switch Voice" if you installed it.
2. in S voice settings, uncheck the box to launch from a home button double-click (this may not be needed, but safety first)
3. in phone Settings, Apps, disable (turn off) both S Voice and Google Search (s voice can interfere with what we're doing)
4. install the app "Bluetooth launch"
5. in that app, scroll down to Google Search, expand it, and find com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.voicesearchactivity. select it. the app should tell you it's "updated."
6. with the phone unlocked, tap your Bluetooth button. when prompted which app to use, choose Bluetooth Launch, always.
Bluetooth Launch will probably crash at this point since you have it configured to start google search, which is disabled. but we had to disable google search temporarily to trigger the prompt to choose bluetooth launch. so...
7. go back into apps and turn on google search (leave S Voice disabled, you don't need it)
8. with the phone unlocked, tap your Bluetooth button. you should get prompted again, choose Bluetooth launch again.
at this point the phone should launch actual google voice search /google now (via bluetooth launch) whether the phone is locked or not.
to get the double-click home button to launch google search/google now, install the "home2 Shortcut" app and configure the double-click to start 'voice search.'
sounds great, right? BUT.
when I reboot, the phone forgets that it's supposed to start Bluetooth launch when I press the Bluetooth button, and it goes back to the Google Search default, which launches our terrible voice dialer when the phone is locked. and the home button double-click to start Google Now doesn't work when the phone is locked like it did/does if S voice is enabled. so I may be going back to my original "S Voice plus S For Switch Voice" route, since my phone and its home button are usually within easy reach when I'm in my car without me having to avert my eyes from the road, so opening Google Now is just as easy as it would be if pressing the Bluetooth button on my steering wheel actually worked.
sucks that this phone can't remember the defaults I set for the Bluetooth button. what's funny/sad is that Bluetooth Launch still appears as a default in the phone's app settings.05-24-2014 01:10 AMLike 1
- Sigh! As you and I discussed way back when you first asked.
I have never, ever, had any phone that reliably worked using Bluetooth to bring up contacts, properly select a contact, and dial that contact.
99% of the time it asks "is this the right contact?"
and I say "NO" and then begins a huge delay in time while that thing processes it is wrong.
By now, I am pissed again and shut it off, manually bring up contacts, and dial it out myself.
For important folks that I dial out a lot, I have them on the dialer's shortcuts.
#1 is voicemail
#2 is friend one
#3 is friend three,
for employees at work? I have a special home page screen with shortcuts to their name with photo. Just touch that shortcut and it is dialing now.
.05-24-2014 02:30 AM
- 05-24-2014 09:24 AM
What does a Tex-Mex-Okie sound like? I've lived in North East Texas for 43 years. Born in Georgia, so I pretty well know what a Southern drawl sounds like but I ain't never heard of a Tex Mex Okie Southern drawl, y'all Google and S Voice seem to work fine for me but the lady inside the dash of my Ford Flex is either hormonal or jealous of my sweet Southern drawl so sometimes she pretends to not understand me. Srsly, does "call mom"
Sound anything like Help? Does "call Ryan" sound anything like "call Frank"? Most of the time she does her job well though.05-24-2014 10:43 AM
- By Konstantinos_ in forum Google Nexus 4Replies: 6Last Post: 06-28-2014, 10:06 PM
- By Marina Bumber in forum Samsung Galaxy S5Replies: 5Last Post: 05-19-2014, 02:26 PM
- By MissPrettyKitty in forum Samsung Galaxy S5Replies: 5Last Post: 05-17-2014, 08:26 PM
- By SeveerM in forum Samsung Galaxy S5Replies: 5Last Post: 05-17-2014, 07:28 PM
- By sfla99 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5Replies: 3Last Post: 05-17-2014, 06:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD