Daily multiple freezes with S5 on AT&T

Bambii68

May 10, 2014
Visit site
My S5 gets freezes up & shuts off with no warning about mid-day every day. It won't respond unless I remove the battery for a few minutes. When I replace the battery, I have to wait again before I dare turn it on. If I turn it on too soon, it doesn't load/boot (I don't know the terminology) completely & it freezes up again with only the time displayed in the upper right corner. Sometimes it does turn on but then freezes when you try to do anything on the phone at all. It's different every time. I have to "remove the battery & wait" about 3 - 4 times & it takes over an hour to get it back to normal!

After reading forums & whatnot, I've removed/turned off bloat ware, reduced # of apps installed & placed the rest in folders, done what was recommended to save battery life & ugh - it still freezes every day!

So what gives? Is this fancy-schmancy processor a piece of junk? Is it Touch-Wiz? Is it AT&T and their bloat ware? Or has technology has advanced so much & so fast and "lag" had been a non-issue for so long that it was no longer suspect?

Regardless of the cause, what on earth can I do to get rid of this blasted lag? I'm thinking about the Google Launcher or maybe even rooting, but then I remember how technologically retarded I am...

Anyhow, if you got rid of the lag/freeze thing, how did you do it? Suggestions?

Any and all help is graciously appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Posted via Android Central App

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
My S5 gets freezes up & shuts off with no warning about mid-day every day. It won't respond unless I remove the battery for a few minutes. When I replace the battery, I have to wait again before I dare turn it on. If I turn it on too soon, it doesn't load/boot (I don't know the terminology) completely & it freezes up again with only the time displayed in the upper right corner. Sometimes it does turn on but then freezes when you try to do anything on the phone at all. It's different every time. I have to "remove the battery & wait" about 3 - 4 times & it takes over an hour to get it back to normal!

After reading forums & whatnot, I've removed/turned off bloat ware, reduced # of apps installed & placed the rest in folders, done what was recommended to save battery life & ugh - it still freezes every day!

So what gives? Is this fancy-schmancy processor a piece of junk? Is it Touch-Wiz? Is it AT&T and their bloat ware? Or has technology has advanced so much & so fast and "lag" had been a non-issue for so long that it was no longer suspect?

Regardless of the cause, what on earth can I do to get rid of this blasted lag? I'm thinking about the Google Launcher or maybe even rooting, but then I remember how technologically retarded I am...

It's made in China. can't really expect much. get a replacement.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

Definitely a defective device. Call AT&T and see what you have to do to exchange it.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem since the update a couple days ago. I can't use an app without it force closing most of the time. I talked to at&t today and they're sending me a replacement. Hopefully it works!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

ericner#AC

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
This is a common problem with other threads describing the same issue.

I'm having this same problem with my Verizon unit. Only the menu and back buttons work. No other screen touches will work. Have to remove the battery for 10+ minutes to get the unit to wake up again.

Bambii68

May 10, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE !!!! I enabled DEVELOPER OPTIONS & switched RUNTIME MODE to *** ART *** This helped with the lag & freezing issueo.
However - Every time I tried to access PRIVATE MODE while in ART - my PIN was not recognized!!! Finally figured out that if I switch back to DALVIK - then my PIN is recognized for PRIVATE MODE - Then I made sure to exit Private mode - Then I went back to ART RUNTIME MODE. So far, so good... Hope this helps someone!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
You cannot root an AT&T phone "as of now".

Your issues to me sound like bad firmware, get it replaced.

There should be none of that happening at all.

Bambii68

May 10, 2014
Visit site
AZ - you rock! That huge post about how you track what you change has helped! Just wish I could back-track it!

I will look into replacing this phone - I am not looking forward to that trainwreck.......... Lol!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
AZ - you rock! That huge post about how you track what you change has helped! Just wish I could back-track it!

I will look into replacing this phone - I am not looking forward to that trainwreck.......... Lol!

You are most welcome. Glad that something I mentioned was useful to someone.

I too, went through the experience of a redo on configuring my phone after a disaster in forgetting to write down a password. Get that password wrong one time too many and you enjoy the experience of having your phone erased. :)

ALaz502

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Yah. Same thing happened with my mom's S5. Nothing fixed it not even a full wipe. So they're replacing it.

I don't know about AT&T, but with Tmobile they are simply sending a new one free of charge (since it's still under warranty) with a return kit for the broken one.

It was a simple phone call, but the first time I called they asked if I did a full wipe on it and I told them no. My mistake. Should have said yes in the first place.
Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Have done a bit more thinking on your phone issues.

I just now downloaded CM Security which is made by KS Mobile who also make Clean Master.

Both have AV as part of their bag of tools, but CM Security goes a mile farther and offers better lost phone protection.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.cleanmaster.security&token=tcwq2-aE

I "discovered CM Security" when Battery Doctor put up a Notification Flag with some industry security issues that we need to be aware of.

This type of app has been around a long time. I have used most of them and unloaded all of them for various reasons, from wanting to get into your wallet big time, or causing lag issues, or just being too difficult to use, or "I just didn't like the UI".

After watching CM Security go through its' paces, the thought struck me it might accidentally discover what is ailing your phone. Try it, can't hurt, and it just might accidentally fix your phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34