Galaxy S5 Battery Drain

roy862014

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Would really appreciate your suggestions in how to improve my battery life. I am not sure if it is Android 4.4.2's location bug or my Galaxy Gear 2 Neo connected to the phone but my battery is draining and overall battery life is almost at the same level as my Galaxy S3.

Google Play Services and Android OS are keeping the device awake for nearly 6-7 hours. I am not sure what is causing this. I have disabled location reporting and location history. Even tried disabling sync and the same results. Very dissapointed. Attached are the screen shots. Is this normal? Please advise.

2014-05-19 15.29.14.jpg

2014-05-19 15.29.26.jpg

2014-05-19 15.29.34.jpg

2014-05-19 15.36.11.jpg

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
What app is that lightening bolt icon on the top left? Make sure you don't have lookout (disable it for scans), anti virus, battery monitor, app killer, cache cleaner, ram booster etc, take those off if you have them, they are battery drainers.

roy862014

May 19, 2014
Visit site
That lightning bolt was tasker kind of an automation app which i just recently installed that do not reflect these statistics. I removed it as it was too complicated.

Dont have any of those apps involved. Do you think a 1 day battery life is good enough? attached is the screen time forgot to add it..

2014-05-19 15.29.41.jpg

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I do. Obviously if you need more, and I almost want to kick myself for suggesting this, you can when not used, put it in Ultra Savings Mode, you can go a week or more, and if just used for the hours you're not using your phone and then switching it off, I bet you can get 3 or more days out of a battery charge.

For myself, I charge it when I go to bed, wake up it's 100% and 17 hours later it's around 30-40%. Sometimes less sometimes more.

JS_racer

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Google play seems way too much., not sure why it would be so active
Mine is 8 minutes or 1% after over a day use for play services

roy862014

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I know eh.. Google Play Services is killing me.. I know Ultra Savings is great but I use that when i am out and phone is around 10% great feature by samsung..

Alhtough i am sure that google play services is kiling the battery and I do not know what to do.. even cleared cache in recovery and the same result..

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what you are expecting out of a battery but I'm sure at some point in a 24 hour period you are near a charger. 24 plus hours is great.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Would really appreciate your suggestions in how to improve my battery life. I am not sure if it is Android 4.4.2's location bug or my Galaxy Gear 2 Neo connected to the phone but my battery is draining and overall battery life is almost at the same level as my Galaxy S3.

I don't want to derail this thread, but can you explain or point me to info on the "location bug"? I've had two instances where the location seems to be continually trying to update which I assume would affect battery life. My searches are coming up empty.

roy862014

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I don't want to derail this thread, but can you explain or point me to info on the "location bug"? I've had two instances where the location seems to be continually trying to update which I assume would affect battery life. My searches are coming up empty.

if you search for Galaxy S5 battery drain in google there are a few threads discussing this issue. Apparently the problem is with the Camera App in 4.4.2 .. this the bug is killing battery life in Nexus 5.. I am not sure it extends to the S5 ..

so far people are saying 1 day battery life is great but I cant for the life of me understand why the phone is constantly awake by play services and android OS

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I get an average of 4 hours and 15 minutes screen time and an average of 5.5 days of use on each battery charge down to an average of 21% battery charge.

I keep Ultra Power Savings on every night and during the day when not using the phone or its apps. Most of my usage is with the apps. I rarely make phone calls with the s5. I do a little more text messaging.

Try using UPS as I do. It also cuts off intermittent rogue apps at the knees as they do not start up again when the UPS is disabled. Some apps stay active after an update but then go dormant after experiencing the UPS.

roy862014

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I get an average of 4 hours and 15 minutes screen time and an average of 5.5 days of use on each battery charge down to an average of 21% battery charge.

I keep Ultra Power Savings on every night and during the day when not using the phone or its apps. Most of my usage is with the apps. I rarely make phone calls with the s5. I do a little more text messaging.

Try using UPS as I do. It also cuts off intermittent rogue apps at the knees as they do not start up again when the UPS is disabled. Some apps stay active after an update but then go dormant after experiencing the UPS.

Yea I think I am going to do that now.. only problem is that UPS disables my Gear 2 Neo as well.. oh well I guess i am going to use UPS when i am not walking around or exercising and phone is dormant without usage

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
With that less of a screen time and 1% after a day that's bad.. Time to start disable some stuff in application manager

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You have a watch constantly paired to the phone which keeps that radio connection alive... And still pull 1 day with 3 hour screen time. I wouldn't even worry about it honestly... That is just fine.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

roy862014

May 19, 2014
Visit site
You have a watch constantly paired to the phone which keeps that radio connection alive... And still pull 1 day with 3 hour screen time. I wouldn't even worry about it honestly... That is just fine.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

cool ya i have a feeling its the watch but Google Play Services is not really connected to the watch... but anyways i will keep the watch off for one day and also report the results

roy862014

May 19, 2014
Visit site
cool ya i have a feeling its the watch but Google Play Services is not really connected to the watch... but anyways i will keep the watch off for one day and also report the results

*Resolved*

Watch has minimal effect on the battery. My suspicions were correct Google Play Services was killing battery. Came across a random Google+ Community where google play services version 4.4.52 was killing battery for Moto X users. One person suggested to turn location off .. reboot the phone and turn location on and reboot again..

Google Play Services is now at 3% for me with just 10 min wake time compared to 19% and 8 hour wake time earlier in my screenshots !

Google seriously needs to get its act together.. no wonder some people swear by apple!

Nigel Johnson

May 21, 2014
Visit site
My S5 has the same problem today. Usualy the battery arround 30% at the end of a day of high use. Today hardly used and see it down at 30% by mid afternoon. Looking at the battery stats it appears to be Google Play services at fault. It has been awake 7 hours 42 minutes and used 2 hours and 4 minutes of CPU. Restarting it seems to have stopped the drain but what cause Google Play to drain so much of my battery?

joehp1

May 8, 2012
Visit site
This AM, on my and my wife's phone the Google Play services has drained our batteries! Battery went down about 15% overnight, usually it is only 5%. I force stopped the app and rebooted both phones. Obviously, the new version of Google Play has some major problems.