Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question OMG, what have I done

Wanted to clear my cache and used the wrong button press. I did power, volume down and home. Phone says ODIN MODE and a bunch of other stuff and the green android is displayed. Screen says Downloading with warning Do not turn off target!!

What is downloading? Is it safe to power off anyway?

Default Re: OMG, what have I done

hey yup nothing to worry about. Either long press the power button to see if that restarts if not press the volume down, home key and then the power button to see if that restarts. If not that's okay too, take out the battery and put it back in and power on. It should directly boot to the main screen. I have done this before and was panicking myself. But taking the battery out/in did the work!
    Thanked by:

Yes, you can power off. If you have any trouble, pull the battery.

Edit: I see we posted at the same time. But at least that should give the OP some assurance.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Whew, thanks guys. Now to the problem that started this. I had set a lock screen PIN which was working fine. Then I was trying to clear it. I got a message that some program stopped working. When I restarted the phone my PIN is not correct. I know I am entering what was the correct one.

How do I fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by IBMJunkman View Post
    Whew, thanks guys. Now to the problem that started this. I had set a lock screen PIN which was working fine. Then I was trying to clear it. I got a message that some program stopped working. When I restarted the phone my PIN is not correct. I know I am entering what was the correct one.

How do I fix this?
    Oh, for that you may need to do a factory reset. Did you already try clearing the cache from recovery like you were intending? Did you enter a partial new pin when this happened? Have you tried the new pin you were putting in one number at a time to see if it recorded only part of it?
    Thanked by:

I thought of something, do you have Android Device Manager activated? You may be able to reset your PIN from there. I've never tried it so I don't know if it requires your current pin to be working.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    I thought of something, do you have Android Device Manager activated? You may be able to reset your PIN from there. I've never tried it so I don't know if it requires your current pin to be working.
    I do but I need to get into the phone first.

Quote Originally Posted by IBMJunkman View Post
    I do but I need to get into the phone first.
    No you don't. If you have activated it, you can do it from a computer signed into your google account.

Here's the site: https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Cleared the cache. I have tried 1, 2, 3, 4 digits of the PIN. No go.

Do I need the phone logged in to do a restore from Kies? I looks like yes. Which means I will have to reset then restore.

I see I will need to backup much more frequently.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Apparently I have not set up Device Manager. But it appears I did set up the FindMyMobile. Got the PIN reset that way. Double whew! Will do a backup right now!

Thanks everyone.

Ok, good to hear. I just came back on to say I did try the pin reset with Android Device Manager on my phone and it did work fine and did not require inputting the previous pin. Hopefully others will read this and decide to enable it on their phones before they find themselves in need of it (or one of the similar apps).
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Backup done. And 3 Galaxy S5 books from Amazon downloaded to my iPad.

Oh my god I wish I had read this last week. I had the same issue with me PIN and had to do the factory reset. Such a pain

Posted via Android Central App

What you actually did is arm the nuclear warheads for every country with nukes.

Good job.