Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By richster1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default different kind of gps problem

Ok, I went from Samsung galaxys2 T989 to S5, it seemed on my OLD T989 with gps on and on google maps (or any map app) the indicator showing where i am (blue dot) would follow me very well, at all speeds. BUT now on S5, I get a bunny hop effect. Driving down the road the indicator follow BEHIND ME (maybe behind 100feet or more - never spot on) follows me, then stops/freezes (now falling further back) then quick snaps back to the 100 or so feet behind me never catching up..it is only when I pull up to a stop that the gps slowly catches up to nail me (almost) bang on. So if i were using a map app, i would have surely passed the street/intersection before my blue dot catches up to me. I have used GPS status app (used rest mode A-status) and Android gps test..they show that i am 'seeing' the birds. Happens in data mode/flight mode, with high accuracy and gps only, with external bluetooth receiver too! Happened Google maps and OVI maps - using Android test. I am driving anywhere from 5mph-65mph. I don't recall this happening on old phone..seems to indicate my gps is seeing the birds fairly quickly - so issue of not locking on is not present..My google maps are refreshing fairly well, maybe a little slower than my old phone. (Imagine the blue dot is a bunny rabbit chasing me but not catching up)

Default Re: different kind of gps problem

Are you using Navigation mode? I've noticed that only using the map yields the result you're describing (just never thought of 'bunny hop' before hehehe). But in Navigation mode, the update is in real time. I'm guessing they changed this to conserve battery while browsing maps and to force you to use Navigation while driving... You know, not being supposed to be looking at the screen while on the road...

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Are you using Navigation mode? I've noticed that only using the map yields the result you're describing (just never thought of 'bunny hop' before hehehe). But in Navigation mode, the update is in real time. I'm guessing they changed this to conserve battery while browsing maps and to force you to use Navigation while driving... You know, not being supposed to be looking at the screen while on the road...
    Yes.... also if you have GPS in Power Saving Mode it will only update periodically. Also it will update via the network instead of the internal GPS, therefore not as accurate. Depends on your personal needs for accuracy. The S5 has 3 modes for the GPS, look at them under 'Location'
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

spookdroid, looks like you nailed it! I tried a lot of variations but the one i didn't try was the actual Navigation app, I prefer Copilot to save data charge$$, but when I use Navigation it is scary how accurate it is! Bang on! Way to go, I was about to send the phone in
    SpookDroid likes this.

Copilot SHOULD be able to get real time updates, though. I'm not familiar with the app, but you could probably e-mail the developer about it and maybe there's a bug in their app.

How does one turn on Navigation Mode? I have GPS in my car but could use it when walking in strange areas.

Is "Navigation Mode" the High Accuracy setting of GPS?

If you long-press the Location button in the notification bar you can access the Location Settings. There you can tell your phone to use 'High Accuracy' by using both WiFi (yeah, even if you're not logged in it works better... something to do with WiFi ID's and stored locations in Google's database) and GPS.

But apparently, to save battery, Google Maps no longer updates your location in real time if you're just looking at the Maps app. Only if you go into navigation mode will it poll constantly for updates. Here's how you access it:
    Option 1) Open the Navigation app in your phone.
    Option 2) From the Maps app.
    A) If you're in Maps, look for your destination address or pin it on a map.
    B) Request directions on how to get there (you can do this for Driving, Public Transport (if supported in your region), and Walking (if supported by your region), and even Biking (again, if supported by your region).
    C) When the suggested route(s) appear, you'll see a NAVIGATE option at the bottom.
    D) Press said option.

You can toggle the voice guidance on/off depending on how you need it.