Return to Android from iPhone

txhepcatz

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Generally lurking checking out everything I can regarding my shiny new S5. I was a previous Android user, had the original first Google Nexus and than a Motorola Droid X...Than I switched over to iPhone 4s....At the time Android required frequent battery pulls and generally sluggish response. Rooting and Rom'ing helped a little, but I needed a phone that just worked. Fast forward 3 years, I finally retired my 4S...Left Verizon for ATT and am super happy with it...Fast Snappy, and quite frankly..lt makes iPhone 4S look like a Treo....uggg..so not innovative. I was planning on waiting, and checking out the Crapple 6 later this year, but rumor has it that the new device will be a 4.7 screen with Sub 1080 resolution. WTF is Crapple thinking?!?

Anyway....Just wanted to share...

Hepcatz

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Good to have you back. Feels great to have a real phone eh? Android is years ahead of Apple, I wouldn't be too concerned with what they come up with....although they did just patent holographic technology for their phones...so....that could shake things up.

itguy14

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Neat story. Had a Droid X and what a POS it was and Android in general at that time. Sent me back to a 4S too.

Now I'm on an S5 only because I wanted a bigger screen. Android has gotten better but it still needs a lot of polish to match iOS. Heck, it took me a couple weeks to figure out Gallery vs Photos, I've restarted a few times to clear bugs (never really restarted the iPhone), and the software just needs a bunch of polish.

The custmizatons and widgets are nice but Google is locking things down just like iOS (SD cards) and pretty soon it will be just like iOS.

Love the screen and features of the S5 but it would be a bit better with a better OS under the hood. Hopefully it will get better in time but it will be really interesting what iOS8 and the iPhone 6 bring to the table.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Generally lurking checking out everything I can regarding my shiny new S5. I was a previous Android user, had the original first Google Nexus and than a Motorola Droid X...Than I switched over to iPhone 4s....At the time Android required frequent battery pulls and generally sluggish response. Rooting and Rom'ing helped a little, but I needed a phone that just worked. Fast forward 3 years, I finally retired my 4S...Left Verizon for ATT and am super happy with it...Fast Snappy, and quite frankly..lt makes iPhone 4S look like a Treo....uggg..so not innovative. I was planning on waiting, and checking out the Crapple 6 later this year, but rumor has it that the new device will be a 4.7 screen with Sub 1080 resolution. WTF is Crapple thinking?!?

Anyway....Just wanted to share...

Hepcatz

So you're comparing a month old phone to one that's been around for over 2 1/2 years and speculating on rumors from the arguably tightest tech company out there? How reasonable of you.

Regardless, glad you like your new S5. I do like mine quite a bit as well.

Posted via Android Central App

Dizfunctions

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Google is locking things down just like iOS (SD cards) .

Google changed the way SD cards work, and apps that haven't changed their coding to reflect that won't work with a SD card. Google changed it to make sure that the SD storage wasn't a mess and so that Android would be more enterprise-friendly.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Google changed the way SD cards work, and apps that haven't changed their coding to reflect that won't work with a SD card. Google changed it to make sure that the SD storage wasn't a mess and so that Android would be more enterprise-friendly.

They shouldn't impose the enterprise part on its users though. It (Knox) should at least be an option when you first set up your device and in your system settings. Not all users have enterprise needs.

Dizfunctions

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
They shouldn't impose the enterprise part on its users though. It (Knox) should at least be an option when you first set up your device and in your system settings. Not all users have enterprise needs.

Knox isn't from Google; it's a Samsung endeavor. It's also more secure to have the SD card setup in its current form, since it restricts what the app can and can't access from the SD card. While security updates can be frustrating, it's important to note that it's up to the developer to change the app to fit the new SD card requirements, and that many apps have successfully done so.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Knox isn't from Google; it's a Samsung endeavor. It's also more secure to have the SD card setup in its current form, since it restricts what the app can and can't access from the SD card. While security updates can be frustrating, it's important to note that it's up to the developer to change the app to fit the new SD card requirements, and that many apps have successfully done so.

You are correct! My apologies! I got the two mixed up there. One being somewhat restrictive for my needs was my intended point.

JakePleasants

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
So you're comparing a month old phone to one that's been around for over 2 1/2 years and speculating on rumors from the arguably tightest tech company out there? How reasonable of you.

Regardless, glad you like your new S5. I do like mine quite a bit as well.

How dare you interject logic and reason into such a discussion!

txhepcatz

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Actually not speculating at all...Apple iOS falls short in so many ways and the larger iPhone has been a rumor now since before the 4S....Nothing says they are going to release one this time that is on par with any other device. There is strong evidence to support sub 5 inch and sub 1080p as it is a thorn in apples side. When they did increase the size they went from 3.5 to 4 inch...How Generous of them.

The integration in Android is more refined at this point, and surely has drawbacks as well. That said, the 4S has been struggling on ios 7 with each and every update. I know, I have been living with it.

Having had two Android phones prior to moving to the iPhone, I was very happy with the iPhone. I did not have to reboot my phone daily (actually ever) and I never had lag...But from day one...it was missing something.

Now if I could just figure out how to play my Apple Lossless music on my phone that would be great. I am NOT going to convert my entire library as I do utilize apple TV and an iPod for most music listening...When I work out, I use my phone and apps so I do want my selected playlists to play without too much fuss or work!

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Actually not speculating at all...Apple iOS falls short in so many ways and the larger iPhone has been a rumor now since before the 4S....Nothing says they are going to release one this time that is on par with any other device. There is strong evidence to support sub 5 inch and sub 1080p as it is a thorn in apples side. When they did increase the size they went from 3.5 to 4 inch...How Generous of them.

The integration in Android is more refined at this point, and surely has drawbacks as well. That said, the 4S has been struggling on ios 7 with each and every update. I know, I have been living with it.

Having had two Android phones prior to moving to the iPhone, I was very happy with the iPhone. I did not have to reboot my phone daily (actually ever) and I never had lag...But from day one...it was missing something.

Now if I could just figure out how to play my Apple Lossless music on my phone that would be great. I am NOT going to convert my entire library as I do utilize apple TV and an iPod for most music listening...When I work out, I use my phone and apps so I do want my selected playlists to play without too much fuss or work!

Use double twist to get your ios music on your Android. Been using it for years. I have an iPhone and an Android phone. I purchase all my music on iTunes.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I have been a DOS and Windows user since the early 80's. I bought an iPad 3 when they came out as an experiment. Jumped into the Android and smartphone world 2 weeks ago with my S5. Bought an iPad Air a week ago.

The transition from iPad 3 to Air was literally painless. Backed up the 3 to my PC. Set up the wifi on the Air. Did a OS software update. Then restored from PC to Air. Everything was there. Preferences, passwords, favorites, apps, libraries, etc. Everything. This could never be done in the Windows world. And based on what I glean from forums and my impression of the Kies software I doubt the Android will be as painless.

I don't like doing it but I have to give Apple their due.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I have been a DOS and Windows user since the early 80's. I bought an iPad 3 when they came out as an experiment. Jumped into the Android and smartphone world 2 weeks ago with my S5. Bought an iPad Air a week ago.

The transition from iPad 3 to Air was literally painless. Backed up the 3 to my PC. Set up the wifi on the Air. Did a OS software update. Then restored from PC to Air. Everything was there. Preferences, passwords, favorites, apps, libraries, etc. Everything. This could never be done in the Windows world. And based on what I glean from forums and my impression of the Kies software I doubt the Android will be as painless.

I don't like doing it but I have to give Apple their due.

Same here. Not sure why most of the people here bash apple every chance they have. I love my iPhone, iPad and mac's. Love the integration with the other devices like apple TV. I do like this S5, but I can do without some of the bloat that comes with it. Seems like most of the Android phones just pack any feature they can fit into it, but it's not thoroughly tested. Apple seems to always do it right.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

You do know what the word "speculate" means, right?

Unless you are part of the Apple decision making process, everything is speculation. You even used the word "rumor" in your post.

Hey I'm not trying to persuade you into anything. I'm an idealist I suppose and just would rather see more rationale.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The transition from iPad 3 to Air was literally painless. Backed up the 3 to my PC. Set up the wifi on the Air. Did a OS software update. Then restored from PC to Air. Everything was there. Preferences, passwords, favorites, apps, libraries, etc. Everything. This could never be done in the Windows world.

Actually, this can be done in Windows 8 today. No manual backup required.

txhepcatz

May 19, 2014
Visit site
You are correct sir...my bad....I think I am so fed up with Apple at this point that even a blackberry would have made me smile and in hindsight I suppose I was venting both my frustration and elation.

My aging eyes simple could not function with the Apple phones anymore...my son has a 5 and I had the 4s...his got destroyed at K1 Speed yesterday and even he would like to switch to am S5. I have to say the one superior feature was Apples ability to control carrier bloat..and Android still is the wildwest.

As an integrator I love apple products...my clients control their homes and office's and it has made many integration options consistent and repeatable without too much fuss.

Right now I am really enjoying Android and it has certainly come a long way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney